William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at Andover Town Meeting in March 1923 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The AWCo Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home were William A. & Nellie Gabeler in 1923. Gabeler was a dentist in Lawrence, MA. In 1928 they had moved down to #20 William St. and Arthur M. Rohrer occupied the home.
This house was sold to Michael J. & Isabelle P. Lane on Nov. 15, 1933. Michael Lane was in Sales in Boston. He died on Sept. 3, 1959.
Isabelle P. Lane continued to live in the home until her death in 1979. James H. Eaton, Extr of the estate was appointed through probate on Aug. 30, 1979. The property was then sold to Zefferino & Mary Ann Marusich on Sept. 12, 1979 and continue as owners of record in 2015.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
Map #879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot #14
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351- parcel 20th
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - parcel 20th
Michael J. & Isabelle P. Lane - Nov. 15, 1933 - b. 573 p. 248
Michael J. Lane estate, Isabelle P. Lane, heir - d. Sept. 3, 1959
Isabelle P. Lane estate, James H. Eaton, Extr - Aug. 30, 1979 - probate
Zefferino & Mary Ann Marusich - Sept. 12, 1979 - b. 1390 p. 2
Zeff & Mary Ann Marusich -Oct. 21, 1986 - b. 2333 p. 257
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Michael & Isabelle Lane House|
|Construction Date||1920 - 1922|
|Architect/Builder||Adden & Parker of Boston|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||hip - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-57|
|Recorded by||Barara Thibault, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||July 1987, 6/21/2015|