Florence Street was constructed in 1885. The south end portion (Park St.) of two acres and 28,045 sq. ft. was owned by Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. Foster. Hannah sold the parcel to William Wood, a carpenter for $1900 on March 13, 1883. Wood built his home at 66 Park St. and house lots extended on both sides up to #21 and #24. The north end portion (Elm St.) on the east side was the former Moses Abbot Jr. homestead at #49 Elm St. Owned by his son George T. Abbott, also a Housewright, who was partners with William S. Jenkins in the firm Abbott & Jenkins. The Abbot parcel extended to #20.
The west side of Florence St. to #17 was formerly owned by the Henry Burtt estate formerly at #35-#37 Elm St.
Oct. 2, 1885 Andover Advertiser - pg. 2 col. 9, “The new way between Park and Elm has been completed by Nathan F. Abbott, the contractor, and accepted by the Selectman. Several names have been suggested……”
House lots were then created and sold to a variety of residents. Roderick McIsaac, wife Hannah purchased the lot for $1100 on July 23, 1886 from Alice Abbott, wife of George Abbott. The two family residence was built for the McIsaac family in 1887. Roderick McIsaac took an $800 through William S. Jenkins the builder of the home on Dec. 29, 1888. The deed states with buildings. The property was deeded to daughter Margaret (McIsaac) Reardon, wife of Walter Reardon, on Aug. 31, 1895.
Cornelius Sweeney, wife Hannah purchased the property on July 17, 1901. Cornelius deeded the property to his daughters on March 20, 1925. Katherine M.Sweeney, Mary J. Sweeney, Helen C. Sweeney, Ann M. Sweeney b. 1886 and Elizabeth R. Sweeney b. 1888. The property remained in the Sweeney family for 64 years. It was then purchased by Michael M. & Janet M. Cahill on Nov. 24, 1965. Michael M. Cahill died of heart failure on July 26, 1982 at age 43. His widow Janet M. Cahill would later sell the property to Charles A. & Susan S. Papalia on Aug. 15, 1983 who continue as owners of record in 2017.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Enoch Abbott Jr. - Dec. 6, 1831 - b. 262 leaf 195 - 49 Elm St.
George T. Abbott - Nov. 17, 1876 - b. 43 p. 548 - 49 Elm St.
George T. Abbott - Mar. 11, 1881 - b. 63 p. 58 - quit claim
George T. Abbott - Apr. 13, 1881 - b. 63 p. 420 - quit claim
Moses Foster - Aug. 16, 1884 - b. 77 p. 326 - deed transfer
Alice Abbott, wife of George T. Abbott - Aug. 16, 1884 - b. 77 p. 327
Roderick McIsaac, wife Hannah - July 23, 1886 - b. 87 p. 254 - lot
Roderick McIsaac, wife Hannah - Dec. 29, 1888 - b. 98 p. 257 - correction
Margaret McIsaac Reardon - Aug. 31, 1895 - b. 142 p. 63
Cornelius Sweeney, wife Hannah - July 17, 1901 - b. 187 p. 319
Katherine M., Mary J.,Helen C., Ann M. & Eliz. R. Sweeney - Mar. 20, 1925 - b. 510 p. 212
James J. Sullivan - Oct. 29, 1929 - b. 548 p. 488 - deed transfer
Katherine M., Mary J., Helen C., Ann M. & Eliz. R. Sweeney Oct. 29, 1929 - b. 548 p. 489
Elizabeth R. Sweeney estate, Katherine M. Sweeney Extrix - Nov.16, 1965 - Probate - b. 1049 p. 25
Michael M. & Janet M. Cahill - Nov. 24, 1965 - b. 1049 p. 26
Michael M. Cahill estate, Janet M. Cahill heir - July 26, 1982 - Probate
Charles A. & Susan S. Papalia - Aug. 15, 1983 - b. 1709 p. 9
Five Star Investment Trust - Papalia Trustee - May 10, 2012 - b. 12936 p. 87
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||McIsaac - Sweeney House|
|Present Use||residence - three family|
|Original Use||residence - two family|
|Construction Date||1886 - 1887|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||George Abbott - William S. Jenkins|
|Wall/Trim||cedar shingles/clapboards/vinyl clad|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding covers the original decorative shingles in the gables and banding. Window replacements|
|Map and parcel||39-81|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 8, 2017|