Commercial building one story, brick facade with triangle center pediment
Original three store fronts on left east side and Post Office on right west side.
The property at 20-26 Essex Street was an empty lot in 1915 then owned by the Grosvenor family of #28 Essex St. Timothy J. Donovan purchased the property July 1, 1915 and then sold the next year to developers Eugene A. Hart, John P. Mulholland, and Arthur P. McCormick on Sept. 11, 1916
They in turn deeded the property Bernard L. McDonald & Timothy J. Donovan.
McDonald & Donovan built the building with the plan to have the U. S. Post Office occupy the west half of the new space. There were three small retail stores in the east end. The construction was completed in March 1917 and the Post Office moved down from the Musgrove Building where it had been located since 1895. There was a great deal of controversy with the residents in town over the new location both from a convenience stand point and how the deal with the PO had played out.
Mar. 2, 1917 Andover Townsman - The new Post Office building is nearly completed and business will be transacted there beginning, Thursday morning, March 15.
Mar. 16, 1917 vol. 22 – W. H. Welch & Co. to move to Post Office space in Musgrove.
By 1926 the Andover Townsman was reporting that a new sight was being considered for the Post Office - Sept. 17, 1926 AT - Proposed new Post Office at Barnard Estate.
Aug. 20, 1926 AT pg. 5 & Oct 8, 1926 - Post Office.
The new Post Office building was eventually built on the site of the Rev. Edwards – M. C. Andrews House at 71 Main Street. William J. Burns sold the property for $20,000 to the United States Government on March 26, 1931. Bid went out in November and the new building was dedicated on October 15, 1932.
One of the first stores to open was E.E. Gray grocery store at #24. Mar. 3, 1923 AT p1 – “Herbert P. Darby, formerly manager of the local A&P store on Elm Street, is now manager of the E. E.Gray store on Essex St.” Joe’s Lunch then moved into #24 by1926.
James Greeley opened his Rockport Fish Market at #20-#22 by 1918 and later expanded into the entire building under the name James E. Greeley & CO. after the Post Office moved in 1932.
The Essex Laundromat at 24 Essex St. was opened in 1955. George Bubar, Sept. 1, 1955 – Aug. 1, 1960. George & Katherine Bubar of So. Main St. Andover, MA purchased laundry equipment from Ald New York Inc. for $3471.48 on October 26, 1955 b. 823 p. 98 Notice of sale, Oct. 31, 1955.
Lease deeds to Rocco J. Mirisola Sept. 1, 1955 – Aug. 31, 1958 - Second hand store. Next door at #20 was the D’Amore Shoe Repair, (1972) and Andover Towne Printing occupied the former PO space after Greeley’s market closed.
Donovan & McDonald families owned the property until 1972 selling to Patrick A. & Pauline D. Bissonette on Mar. 1, 1972. Twenty Six Essex Street Trust purchased the property on Dec. 25, 1983 and the trustees began a complete renovation to the building. The former brick facade was covered with wood siding to create a more contemporary modern appearance. The interior was renovated for professional office space. A hair salon now occupies the east end of the building.
See Maps #398 PO plan Samuel P. Hulme 1916
Property Locus is #26 Essex St. – Town lists as #20 Essex St.
Lease deeds to Rocco J. Mirisola Sept. 1, 1955 – Aug. 31, 1958
Essex Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
James Grosvenor – May 9, 1840 – b. 319 lf. 258 Salem lot #1
Joshua H. Ward
James Grosvenor – Aug. 28, 1841 – b. 493 lf. 53 Salem lot #2
Mary J. Swift
Elizabeth Grosvenor – Oct. 1, 1868 – b. 762 lf. 17 Salem lot #3
Grosvenor Trust – Samuel P. Hulme trustee Apr. 9, 1915 b. 351 p. 211 parcel #2
Timothy J. Donovan – July 1, 1915 – b. 355 p. 41
Eugene A. Hart, John P. Mulholland, and Arthur P. McCormick – Sept. 11, 1916 - b. 368 p. 181
Bernard L. McDonald & Timothy J. Donovan – Sept. 11, 1916 – b. 368 p. 426
Bernard L. & Josephine E. McDonald & Timothy J. Donovan –
Mary C. Murphy – Nov. 29, 1949 – b. 729 p. 236
Timothy J. Donovan & Bernard L. McDonald - Nov. 29, 1949 – b. 729 p. 236
Timothy J. Donovan & Josephine E. McDonald -
George C. & Irene L. Durant – Mar. 28, 1958 – b. 870 p. 412
Patrick A. & Pauline D. Bissonette – Mar. 1, 1972 b. 1188 p. 695
Twenty Six Essex Street Trust – Walter W. Topham Tr. – Dec. 25, 1983 – b. 1785 p. 100
26 Essex Street Realty Trust – Thomas E. Fardy Tr – Mar. 12, 1984 – b. 1785 p. 106
26 Essex Street Realty Trust – Barry R. Finegold Tr. – Nov. 20, 2013 – b. 13707 p. 289
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||"Post Office Building"|
|Present Use||Retail / Commercial|
|Original Use||Retail / Commercial|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Wall/Trim||brick / wood|
|Major Alterations||1985 wood siding applied over brick facade Storefronts enclosed. One main entrance|
|Map and parcel||55-53|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|