A new build in 1981, the gambrel roofed home would be classified as a Dutch Colonial home.
Present owner:Salerno # 13 new
Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading, as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule in 1920 adds to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation list and within the Scotland School District from 1795-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development of this neighborhood came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.
William P. Shattuck purchased this 16 acre tract of land between South Main St and Boston Road on Mar. 29, 1902. Eleanor Fairbrother purchased the entire parcel on July 16, 1909.
Eleanor Clemmons was born Aug. 1872 dau. of Charles E. & Ella J. (Nichols) Clemmons. Eleanor married four times first to Charles Fairbrother They lived in the home at 1 Cottage Road and had the land surveyed and parceled off into house lots in September 1911. by Ralph D. Hood Civil Engineer (Map #147). Three new roads were created to access the properties off Boston and County Roads. Two roads remain undeveloped "Paper Streets" today although they appear on a plan in 1966 as Jackson Street north of this lot and Lafayette St. to the east. Charles died on Feb. 19, 1912 in West Newbury, MA. Eleanor remarried on Dec. 6, 1913 to Edgar Manning Earley b. Dec. 13, 1873 in Topsfield, MA. Edgar died on Dec. 26, 1917 in Andover. Eleanor marred a third time to Alexander Hamel and last to Maynard.
This property was once a portion of the 16.5 acre property at 1 Cottage Road. Eleanor Maynard sold a parcel to Francesco & Catherine Direnzo on Feb. 9, 1938. After Franesco died Max Geller handled the estate on Mar. 11, 1940. Albert L. & Marion L. Saunders purchased 1 Cottage Rd on July 5, 1940 and it remained with Saunders until Marion died in 1968. Ellen Henderson was the administrator of the estate but delay and the courts ordered the sale of the property by auction in 1972. Charles Demakis paid $1500 at the auction on May 23, 1972 with 4.292 acres.
Michael L. & Elizabeth A. Lopez purchased on May 26, 1977 sub-divided and sold Parcel A to Beverly J. MacLeod Realty Trust on May 29, 1980.
B.C.C. Development Corp., Barry C. Cann president purchased on Aug. 9, 1980 then sold this parcel to Princeton Place Realty Trust, Doug. R. Mifflin, Trustee on Sept. 29, 1980. Mifflin was a local builder and contractor and built the house.
Richard F. & Michelle J. Patten where the first owners of the home on Apr. 17, 1981. Patten owned eight years then selling to Anthony P. & Leslie Z. Salerno on Oct. 13, 1989. They continue as owners of record in 2018.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan #147 - Sept. 1911 lot 48
Map plan #200 – May 1915 – Cottage St.
Map plan #8383 - April 1, 1980 - Parcel A
Charles H. Allen
Francis P. & Sylvia Goss - Oct. 29, 1864 - b. 676 leaf 169
Lucy M. Buxton - Oct. 9, 1884 - b. 78 p. 576 - 16 1/2 acres
Daniel A. McIntire, wife Elizabeth - Oct. 24, 1894 - b. 143 p. 144 - 16 1/2 acres
William P. Shattuck - Mar. 29, 1902 - b. 193 p. 14 - 16 acres
Eleanor Fairbrother - July 16, 1909 - b. 276 p. 284
Ethel E. Gallagher - Dec. 6, 1913 - b. 336 p. 576
Edgar M. Earley & Eleanor Fairbrother - Dec. 6, 1913 - b. 336 p. 578
Edgar M. Earley estate, Eleanor Earley - Dec. 26, 1917
Francesco & Catherine Direnzo - Feb. 9, 1938 - b. 613 p. 463
Francesco Direnzo estate, Caterina Direnzo
Max Geller – March 11, 1940 – b. 629 p. 129
Albert L. & Marion L. Saunders – July 5, 1940 – b. 632 p. 34
Albert L. Saunders estate, Marion L. Saunders – June 21, 1952 – probate
Webtser T. & Jessie A. Grace – Dec. 8, 1966 – b. 1073 p. 385 mtg. deed loan
Marion L. Saunders estate, Ellen F. Henderson Admtx. Aug. 23, 1968 – b. 1113 p. 103 notice
James Axelrod, Sheriff – May 23, 1972 – b. 1201 p. 646 – probate court
Charles Demakis – Sept. 11, 1972 – b. 1201 p. 646 - $1500 – 4.292 acres
Michael L. & Elizabeth A. Lopez – May 26, 1977 – b. 1309 p. 36
Beverly J. MacLeod Realty Trust, Bev. MacLeod, Tr. - May 29, 1980 - b. 1436 p.349 Parcel A
B.C.C. Development Corp., Barry C. Cann pres. - Aug. 9, 1980 - b. 1453 p. 251
Princeton Place Realty Trust, Doug. R. Mifflin, Tr. - Sept. 29, 1980 - b. 1458 p. 154
Richard F. & Michelle J. Patten - Apr. 17, 1981 - b. 1498 p. 27
Anthony P. & Leslie Z. Salerno - Oct. 13, 1989 - b. 3011 p. 137
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Patten - Salerno House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows, vinyl siding|
|Acreage||1.05 acres, 45548 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||83-7A|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1/30/2006, 5/14/2018|