The house is a simplified Queen Anne with Italianate porch roof over the main entrance. Double door entrance, bay windows popular in the 1880's additions and renovations.
This lot of land was once owned by John Dove, co-founder of the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. The mill had first been established in Frye Village in 1832 and moved up to Abbott Village after purchasing the Abbott Mills in 1843. Major expansion began about 1864.
John Dove purchased this property on Dec. 20, 1860.
Sept. 4, 1885 AA - "Mrs. James Saunders, and Mrs. Robert Duncan, have removed from Haverhill to this town, and occupy the new house they have just finished in Abbott Village."
It was acquired by the Saunders family which held the property until 1918 when they sold to David Milne in October of that year.
The two family home remains with the Milne family today, 2014, nearly 96 years of ownership.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1882, 1888, 1906
Andover Street Directories
John Dove - Dec. 20, 1860 - b. 616 leaf 273 Salem deed
James Saunders -
James Saunders, Adm. Ann W. Probate Aug. 13, 1908
George Saunders - Aug. 14, 1908 - b. 264 p. 288
George Saunders - Feb. 18, 1915 - b. 350 p. 406 deed correction
David Milne - Oct. 18, 1918 - b. 392 p. 282
David & Katherine Milne - Feb. 10, 1968 - 1101 p. 13
David Milne estate - Sept. 20, 1968 - b. 1115 p. 205
Katherine Milne - 1968
Katherine Milne estate, Katherine McCavitt, Extrx - Probate #301858
Maureen A. Milne & Rosemarie D. Milne - Oct. 18, 1969 - b. 1142 p. 216
Maureen A Milne - Sept. 6, 1989 - b. 2992 p. 281
Maureen A. Milne Life Estate - Aug. 9, 2000 - b. 5830 p. 17
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Historic Name||The James Saunders House|
|Present Use||residences - 2 family|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family|
|Map and parcel||72-21|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||June 26, 2014|