close to sidewalk on main thoroughfare and adjacent to bridge (West) and Shawsheen river, center of village
Themes: architectural, community development, industry
This house was formerly numbered as #349 then changed to #201
Development of mill housing along Andover Street, High, Tewksbury, Clark Sts. etc. during 1850's - for employees of Ballardvale Mills and later Bradlee Mills.
This home was once mill housing for J. P. Bradlee Mills formerly the Ballard Vale Mill Company and probably built about 1848-1850. With the death of Josiah Putnam Bradlee in 1887 his estate trustee was William H. Hodgkins of Boston. The estate remained in Trust until the death of Bradlee's sister. Hodgkins then sold off the holdings to the Ballard Vale Mill Co. on Feb. 6, 1905. When the company closed the properties were then sold to individual owners. This property was the second parcel in the deed sale to the Ballard Vale Mill Co. and included lots #12 & #13. The parcel was sub-divided in 1926 and this lot #13 on the eastern side of the lot was sold with house to John Davy on July 19, 1926. Davy held for three years then selling to John W. & E. Josephine Sharpe on Aug. 29, 1929. John Sharpe was a barber. The house was rented out as income property.
In 1961 Victor W. & Cecilia Jedrey are listed at this address. Victor b. 1912 is retired Cecilia b. 1910 a housewife. The property was inherited by Joan M. (Kelloway) Jedrey after Victors death. Joan then sold to Steven& Madelyn Mitton on June 21, 1995.
A four-page contract and notes among Jacob Chickering's Records at North Andover Historical Society describing general work for John Marland & Co. dated Jan. 27, 1857.
It is unknown if Chickering built this home.
Historic District Certificate distributed 4-2-87
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence MA
Ruth Sharpe, BV librarian, interview
Ballard Vale Mills Co.
J. Putnam Bradlee -
J. Putnam Bradlee estate, William H. Hodgkins Tr. - 1889
Ballardvale Mills Company - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 238 (p.240 parcel 2 lots #12 & #13)
John Davy - July 19, 1926 - b. 524 p. 487
John W. & E. Josephine Sharpe - Aug. 29, 1929 - b. 548 p. 221
John W. Sharpe estate, Arthur N. Sharpe, Consv. -
Victor W. & Cecilia Jedrey - May 13, 1985 - b. 678 p. 69
Cecilia Jedrey estate, Victor W. Jedrey - 1987
Victor W. Jedrey estate, Joan M. (Kelloway) Jedrey heir - Probate 87P3079-E1
Steven L. & Madelyn Mitton - June 21, 1995 - b. 4280 p. 226
Michael S. & Michelle L. Kornhauser - Delellis - July 12, 2004 - b. 8920 p. 193
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Present Use||residence (duplex)|
|Original Use||double house|
|Construction Date||circa 1850|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Map and parcel||157-41|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thibault; Bernice Haggerty (Ballardvale Historic District Commission) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Summer 1987; Jan 1996, 9/29/2016|