Themes Architectural and Community Development. basement head room 8ft. 3 fireplaces.
House is unusual shape. Porch goes nearly around entire house. Careful, detailed and ornate woodwork on exterior. EastLake detailing like house on Florence Street, with same type oval-glass in door.
June 1990 Andover Preservation Award for Exterior Preservation.
1830, February 24. Will of Solomon Holt I, gives to son Solomon II, the farm at 111 Reservation Rd. being the same property conveyed to him by his father Joshua. Grandsons Solomon III, and E. Francis Holt, each (one undivided half) [book 604 leaf 645 Salem Registry of Deeds] E. Francis Holt’s wife is Parthinia.
The land of this property was once part of the Solomon Holt farm and comprised all the land which is now the AVIS West Parish Meadow Reservation, the West Parish Church grounds and the cemetery.
In May 1880 this lot of 2 acres and 2 sq. rods was purchased from Solomon & E. Francis Holt by Dr. Charles A. Holt and wife Lizzie for $350.
AA May 21, 1880 – T. A. Gifford of Boston, has contracted to build a new residence for Dr. Charles A. Holt, near the West Church. S. Tobey of Boston is the Architect, and will be built in the Queen Anne style.
1880, July 23 Andover Advertiser – "Dr. Charles A. Holt and family are boarding with E. Francis Holt in the West Parish."
1880, May 26, Charles A. & Lizzie W. Holt for $360 from Solomon & E. Francis Holt 2 acres, 2 rods of land
On March 21, 1882 the house was sold to George & Martha Blake of Belmont, MA for $3500. Dr. Holt held the mortgage. The Blakes remained here 13 years until selling in July 1895 to John A. & Ella S. Morrill. Morrill held the property 8 years then sold to Edith E. Hardy.
On October 8,1908 Edith E. & Frank Hardy purchased the property which was conveyed on November 11, 1908. The Hardys were members of West Parish Church and Frank Hardy was the owner of the Hardy Brush Co., his factory in the barn behind the stone house at 183 Lowell St. With the expansion of the West Parish Cemetery in 1908-1910 by William M. Wood, president of the American Woolen Co., Wood's design necessitated removing three buildings on Lowell St to create the new entrance and green. One was the new home of Frank Hardy and others the Andover Grange Hall and the church vestry. The Hardys sold their property to Wood and their house was moved to 129 Lowell St. Hardy then sold some of the land at 202 Shawsheen Rd. to the west to the church for the use of horse sheds. The Grange Hall was relocated to 210 Shawsheen Rd.and the vestry next to the church.
Hardy would move his business in 1910 to Frye Village and later became involved with Wood in planning Shawsheen Village. Frank Herbert Hardy, died on Feb. 5, 1946 at age 74y. The Hardy family lived here for 38 years. His wife Edith Esther (Downing) Hardy sold the home a few months later. She died in April 29, 1955 at age. 77y
Carl E. & Rita Holch bought the property on July 26, 1946 and remained for 12 years selling on June 12,1958 to Frank & Marcia M. Michel. The Michel family lived here until 1969 selling to Waren H. Arthur on Sept. 9, 1969, Waren and wife Priscilla lived her until Sept. 2, 1977 when they sold to E. Thomas & Sandra F. Carothers. The Corothers sub-divided the property creating a new house lot next door to the west at #206.
They sold the house to Diane D. Greco on July 9, 1986 and she continues to live and work here as an artist in 2013
Tenants of the carriage house at 202R
1990 - Irvin W. Weaver.
1981 - Thomas C. Fuller
1971 - Melvin D. & Myda Muise
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser & Andover Townsman
Andover Valuation Schedule
Solomon Holt estate - Feb. 24, 1830
Solomon Holt II & Solomon III & E. Francis Holt heirs 1830 - b. 604 leaf 645
Dr. Charles A. & Lizzie Holt - May 26, 1880 - b. 60 p. 418 – plan bk. 60 pg 600
George & Martha Blake - Mar. 21, 1882 - b.67 pg. 440
John A. & Ella S. Morrill - July 18, 1895 - bk. 141 pg. 595
Edith E. & Frank Hardy - Oct. 8, 1908 - b. 267 p. 365 rec. on Nov. 11, 1908
Frank Hardy Estate, Edith E. Hardy heir
Carl E. & Rita Holch - July 26, 1946 - b. 687 p. 429 - 2 acres+/- shown on plan #1629
Frank & Marcia M. Michel - June 12, 1958 - b. 874 p. 231
Warner H. & Priscilla L. Arthur - Sept. 9, 1969 - b.
E. Thomas & Sandra F. Carothers - Sept. 2, 1977 - b.
Diane B. Greco - July 9, 1986 -
|Historic District||West Parish Center NRH District|
|Historic Name||Holt - Blake - Hardy House|
|Source||style - njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||S. Tobey of Boston/T.A. Gifford of Boston|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||carriage house|
|Major Alterations||carriage house into apartments|
|Map and parcel||89-53|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 12/2013|