Greek Revival gable end to the street.
Themes: architectural, community development, industry
This Greek Revival style building at 205-209 Andover St. and 3-5 River St. is said to have been built about 1840. It first housed the Ballardvale Mills store. John Marland sold three parcels of land to his father Abraham Marland on March 18, 1848 for $20,000. The third lot is referred to as the Store lot "building occupied in part by Wm. A. Dole & CO. as a store together with the lot of land connected therewith situated between Ballard Vale Bridge and Andre B. Stimpson's land." The sale was actually a loan which Abraham Marland's estate would acquire when John became insolvent. Abraham Marland died on Feb. 20, 1849 and his assets were in Trust for his family.
Francis Cogswell, son-in-law and last surviving Trustee, sold this property to J. Putnam Bradlee on Dec. 30, 1863.
Under Bradlee's ownership the building featured the store, a lecture and function hall on the second floor called "Bradlee Hall". A small shop selling lamp oil was in the new wing to the rear of the building on the River St. side.
July 2, 1880 – The store building of F. G. Hayes & Co. at Ballardvale, is being raised two feet and other wise improved.
July 23, 1880 - Andover Advertiser - Ballardvale - "The store of F. G. Haynes & Co. has been raised and the work is nearly completed. An Addition is now being built on the south end. 20 by 24 feet, which will be used for storing goods. The long building opposite in entirely remodeled and furnishes cooking and store rooms and the upper story is to be occupied for a hall and Bowling alley. The carpenter work is done by Hardy & Cole."
Felix G. Haynes and A. L. Williams had a dry goods store here in 1865 - 1910.
J. Putnam Bradlee died on Feb. 28, 1887 and his estate, was administered by William H. Hodgkins Trustee from 1887 to 1905. The Ballard Vale Mills Company purchased much of the Bradlee property on Feb. 6, 1905.
Daniel H.Poor, descendant of Daniel Poor, of 211 Andover St., and John Riley operated a dry goods store until the 1919 when parts of the building were converted into apartments.
Andover Townsman 9/26/1919 - "The Passing of the Village Grocery Store. - It was with a pang of regret that the few old inhabitants in the vicinity have looked upon the closing of the village grocery store which, like many of its kind, has given place to modern developments.
Memory reaches back to the time when the store was owned by one Mr. Stimpson. Then, in 1864 Felix Haynes and A. L. Williams entered into partnership in the then typical country store. Groceries, dry goods, medicines, shoes, and all nameable accessories were sold there, while the store itself was a rendezvous of young and old. Mr. Williams, however, soon left the firm and Bancroft Haynes entered the store for a period of two years. After that, Felix Haynes conducted the business alone until 1910, when D. H. Poor and J. Riley entered into a partnership which was marked by the installation of many new methods and commodities.
Recently, the doors of this store have been closed by the partners, the old fashioned blinds are shut, and the worn wooden steps are no longer being trodden over by the village folks."
An interview with Mr. George Bruce 1978 "As you comedown the hill across the bridge on the right over there is a little apartment house on the corner of River Street. Years ago it was a grocery store owned by Felix Haynes. Later they sold out to Poore and Riley and later sold to Harry Colbath. The store carried groceries, grain, shoes, yard goods, kerosene oil, and about everything you could buy. I bought in that store as a youngster before they had paper bags. You carried home the best way you could"
"His eyes twinkled and a smile spread across his face as he remembered his childhood."
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Poore, Dr. Alfred: "Historical-Genealogical Visitation of Andover, Mass. in year 1863"
Essex Institute Historical Collections, vol. 48-49
Ballardvale Walking Tour, 1988
Estate of Josiah Putnam Bradlee 1889 - Map lot #14
Andover Townsman 9/26/1919 - The Passing of the Village Grocery Store.
Taking Care of Their Heritage - A Compendium of Oral Accounts - 1978 Sean A. Kennan Coordinator, edited by Peter J. Anderson, Andover Public Schools
John Marland - 1840's
Abraham Marland - Mar. 18, 1848 - b. 395 leaf 50 - 52 - lot 3 Store lot
Abraham Marland estate, Francis Cogswell Trustee - 1863
J. Putnam Bradlee - Dec. 30, 1863 - b. 660 leaf 72 - "the Store lot"
J. Putnam Bradlee estate, William H. Hodgkins Trustee - Feb. 28, 1887
Ballard Vale Mills Company - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 338 (p. 340 third parcel)
Harry C. Nason - Sept. 20, 1927 - b. 535 p. 207
Harry C. & May P. Nason - Aug. 29, 1944 - b. 666 p. 370 (lot 1)
Leslie & Valerie Trombly - Apr. 21, 1958 - b. 871 p. 407
Leslie Trombly estate, heir Valerie Trombly
Richard C. & Linda T. Duarte - Apr. 15, 1993 - b. 3704 p. 304
Duarte Realty Trust, Richard & Linda Duarte Trs. - Oct. 31, 2008 - b. 11362 p. 348
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||BallardVale Mill Store building - Bradlee Hall|
|Present Use||apartments and business offices|
|Original Use||Ballardvale Millls store|
|Construction Date||1845 - 1850|
|Source||B'Vale Walking Tour|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||Replacement windows, apartment conversion|
|Acreage||0.113 acre; approx. frontage 90' River, 70' Andover St.|
|Map and parcel||139-153|
|Recorded by||N.J. Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 9/28/2016|