This home is officially 47 - 49 Balmoral St. - This rear ell faces Argyle St. see Balmoral St. for history of home
William Madison Wood, president of the American Woolen Co. bought the land at Frye Village in order to fulfill his dream of creating a model village, where the executives, management and workers could reside, work and spend their leisure time. A few older houses which were not demolish, were moved and remodeled into the Colonial Revival Shawsheen Village, 1919-1924.
This residence dates back to the day when Frye Village, a highway crossroads, became the manufacturing center for Smith and Dove flax manufacturers, Donald's ink factory and the Poor Wagon shop.
This home was the old Burnham Homestead and was located at 19 Haverhill St. on southwest corner of Haverhill and York Streets (first called Oxford St). The Burnham home was once owned by Diantha Burnham and sold to James B. Smith on Apr. 3, 1867. James B. was the son of Peter Smith. Peter Smith sold a portion of the property to James B. on Jan. 28, 1874. It came with use of half the house, front entry, space between the two ells and the well. The deed suggests that the home was divided into a two family. Peter Smith had purchased it from John Dove in April 1851.
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Burnham House|
|Present Use||residences - 3 family|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family|
|Construction Date||1800 - 1820|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||36-70|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 7/8/2015|