Style: Old Style
Old style building on 1.35 acres of land, built about 1888. Wood shingle exterior and Asphalt roof cover. It has 7 rooms, 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, garage, shed, and carport. House has changes. It is 1 3/4 stories high with brick & stone foundation. A long driveway up hill from Chester Street.
This property was once owned by Nathan Clark, a farmer. and connected to his homestead lot at the corner of Dascomb and Clark Roads. Nathan Clark's estate was purchased by Herbert A. Moody on Aug. 16, 1882 for $2200. The farm consisted of three parcels, the house lot with buildings, an adjoining 23 acre 114 3/4 sq. rods parcel on the east side of Clark Rd and a 23 acre lot across the street on the north side of Dascomb Rd. Herbert A. Moody was a carpenter and builder and lived on Clark Road ( formerly known as Lowell St. or Rd. in Ballardvale) Herbert transferred the deed to Almon S. Moody, a minor, through his guardian Samuel G. Sargent of Methuen, for $1500. on Aug. 23, 1883.
Herbert A. Moody did however retain some of the property of the Clark farm and parceled off house lots along Clark Rd and Chester Street. He then built and sold homes or lots, as he developed some of the former Clark Farm land.
This lot was sold to William F. Quinn on June 7, 1887 for $90. Quinn built the home and then sold to John H. Clinton, wife Maggie J. on Oct. 7, 1890 for $1400. Five months later the property was purchased for $1425. by Ambrose Henaby, wife Mary F. on Feb. 10, 1891. Henaby hled the property for eleven years then sold to Abbie A. Hughes on May 14, 1902. The house lot contained 1 and 1/2 acres of land. Abbie A. Hughes then purchased and 8 and 5/10 acre adjoining parcel on July 6, 1903.
Alvin J. & M. Ethel Zink were the next owners of the property on June 29, 1923 and the Zink family would own for the next 71 years. Alvin Zink was the Superintendent of the sub-station of the Lawrence Post Office. Alvin John Zink was born in Lawrence on March 30, 1888 son of John & Lena T. Zink. He married Mary Ethel Eno b. June 1890 in Lowell, MA daughter of George & Mary N. Eno. Ethel as she was known by, was a book keeper for the telephone company in 1910 when her family lived in Dracut, MA. She later worked as a Clerk at the Academy. Alvin and Ethel had three sons, Alvin J. Jr. b. 1914 in Methuen, George E. b. 1919 and Foster Dennison b. 1921. Alvin died on Jan. 1, 1954. Two years later Ethel sold the house to her son Alvin J. Jr. and his wife Muriel H. Zink.
Alvin Jr. was an electrical engineer and worked as a radio repairman. Muriel was a Registered Nurse. Muriel died on May 27, 1994. and a few months later Alvin sold the property to the current owners Mohamed C. & Maribeth E. Zatet on Dec. 30, 1994.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Assessor's Office
Map plan #1747 - April 1947 - Alvin J. & M. Ethel Zink - Christine Forsythe
Nathan Clark estate, farm
Martha A. Hall, heir dau. of Nathan Clark -
Herbert A. Moody - Aug. 16, 1882 - b. 69 p. 95 - Nathan Clark farm 3 parcels
William F. Quinn - June 7, 1887 - b. 91 p. 86 - lot 1 - $90
John H. Clinton, wife Maggie J. - Oct. 7, 1890 - b. 109 p. 154 - $1400.
Ambrose Henaby, wife Mary F. - Feb. 10, 1891 - b. 111 p. 13 - $1425.
Abbie A. Hughes - May 14, 1902 - b. 194 p. 35 lot 1 - 1 1/2 acres
Abbie A. Hughes - July 6, 1903 - b. 204 p. 239 lot 2 - 8.05 acres
Alvin J. & M. Ethel Zink - June 29, 1923 - b. 481 p. 214 - 2 lots
Elsa B. Frederick - Feb. 10, 1928 - b. 538 p. 413 - deed change
Alvin J. & M. Ethel Zink - Feb. 10, 1928 - b. 538 p. 414
Alvin J. Zink estate, heir M. Ethel Zink - Jan. 1, 1954 - probate
Alvin J. & Muriel H. Zink - June 21, 1956 - b. 835 p. 412
Muriel H. Zink estate, heir Alvin J. Zink - May 27, 1994 - probate
Mohamed C. & Maribeth E. Zatet - Dec. 30, 1994 - b. 4190 p. 125
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Quinn - Henaby - Zink House|
|Present Use||one family residence|
|Original Use||one family residence|
|Construction Date||1887 - 1890|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architect/Builder||William F. Quinn|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage, shed, car port|
|Major Alterations||porch entrance, screened porch, east facade addition, new entrance on lower level.|
|Map and parcel||157-5|
|Recorded by||Ruth A. Sharpe (BallardvaleHistoric District) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society, Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||June 1998, 2/5/2017|