Owner: Trustees of Phillips Academy - turned over to Samuel Farrar, who bequeathed back, boarding house for students after 1864, under direction of Mrs. Serena T. Abbot, niece of Squire Farrar.
Themes: Architectural, Commerce, Community development and Education.
While waiting for house to be built, Samuel Farrar boarded with Ezra Abbot on Central St. Its original site was corner of Main and Phillips St. where archaelogy building now stands. In 1880, it was moved further along Phillips St. to make room for Professor Churchill's home (large, pretentious and in the "latest" style). Squire Farrar was on of Andover's leading citizens, and a local character whose life was so methodical and habits so punctual that clocks were said to be set when he commenced family prayers or passed on his daily stroll to Indian Ridge. Farrar was first president of Andover National Bank, 1826-1856 and its director, 1826-1857. He was treasurer of Board of Trustees for Phillips Academy and Andover Theological Seminary, first librarian of Andover Theo. Seminary and an Abbot Academy Trustee. As Phillips Academy treasurer, he was provided with a place to live and from 1811 until his death in 1864, this was his home.
Madame Phoebe Foxcroft Phillips, wife of Judge Samuel Phillips, stayed here and died in this house in 1812. Another resident was the famous first missionary sent out by the American Board of Foreign Missions, based at Andover Theo. Seminary: Adoniram Judson. C.Haywards was another boarder, 1881.
In Jacob Chickering's accounts, (North Andover Historical Soc. ) is an updated receipt:"Arthur Bean Revised Esq. Farrar's Olde Barn 28 x 35' at $150 to take to Methuen.."
At his death, Squire Farrar bequeathed house to Phillips trustees, 1864 and his niece. Mrs. Roy Spencer was occupant in 1939. In (1975-77) it was the residence of Frederick S. Allis Jr. of the history department and former president of the Historical Society.
Andover Historical Society files
Andover National Bank:1826-1946: Historical Blotters Commemorating 300th Anniversary, Town of Andover and 120th Anniv. of Andover National Bank. March 1946
Business History of Andover: Anniversary Souvenir No. of Andover Townsman, 250 Anniversary, 1896
Andover Primer: Phillips Academy and Its History, 1778-1923. Andover Press
Phillips Academy Bulletin, July 1915
Fuess, Clande: An Old New England School: A history of Phillips Academy, Houghton Mifflin, 1917.
Historical Sketch Covering 120 years of Andover Nat. Bank, 1826-1946
Andover Townsman: 1946
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Farrar, Samuel House|
|Present Use||faculty residence|
|Construction Date||c. 1810|
|Architect/Builder||period of David Hidden|
|Roof||gable and hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||original barn removed by Chickering|
|Major Alterations||side porch added|
|Acreage||less than one acre; 16,000 sq. ft., 120 ft frontage|
|Map and parcel||56-7D|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, updated 3/2014|