NRDIS NRMRA LHD
Style: Late Greek Revival
Themes: Architectural, Community development
This property was purchased from Eaton Greene by Jonas W. Davis for $150 on Apr. 24, 1848. Jonas was married to Harriet A. Pratt on Oct. 19, 1841. The 1850 Andover Valuation schedule lists Jonas W. Davis, in West Parish - Dwelling house & barn $900. In 1850 West Parish was considered anyone living west of the Shawsheen River. By 1900 parts of Ballardvale were listed in the South District.
Jonas Davis borrowed money from Chandler and Henry A. Gould presumably to improve his property. Gould later took Davis to land court to get the equity from the property owed him. On March 26, 1851 at Public auction $431.50 was realized by Gould. Gould then sold to William Calder of Chelsea, MA for $362.50. on March 26, 1851. Calder then got the Davis property. The mortgage held by Chandler was paid on June 24, 1856. (b. 535 leaf 293).
Calder later sold to William D. Stark for $1000 on Aug. 25, 1859. The Andover Valuation of 1860 lists Wm Stark - Dwelling house & barn $700. Personal estate Horses & carriages $350.
William Stark took a mortgage loan of $800. from Hiram H. Appleton on July 8, 1893. Appleton moved to Minnesota and sold the mtg. deed to Bancroft D. Haynes at auction on May 17, 1897 for $1300. In 1900 Haynes owned three houses with barns on Tewksbury St.( #21, #34, & #37) Haynes lived at 34 Tewksbury St. and this home and #37 were rental income properties.
Haynes wife Charlotte E. died young at age 30 on Oct. 11, 1883. Her estate went to her husband and children. Bancroft T. would later re-marry on Dec. 28, 1898 to Elizabeth Jane (Slater) Hodgkins b. June 1856 in England. Bancroft T. Haynes died on Feb. 25, 1929 and his estate was administered by Clover Stone. The Haynes children were heirs to the estate. Edmond B.Haynes, Delphine H. Baldwin and Elizabeth D. Pratt also his widow Elizabeth J. Haynes. They then sold this property to Charles & Hazel E. Milligan on Nov. 3, 1934. The property continues in the Milligan family in 2016.
Historical significance: Andover Townsman - mentions "addition to house owned by John Davey, at Marland and Tewksbury Streets in the Vale" - (1895)
Map #5018 - July 19, 1963 -
Map #8318 - Sept. 25, 1979 - Charles Milligan - 362 sq' from Pillsbury.
Eaton Green - 1848
Jonas W. Davis - April 24, 1848 - b. 398 leaf 119 - $150
Jonas W. Davis - April 24, 1848 - b. 398 leaf 118 - 48 sq. feet
Davis to Henry A. Gould - April 1848 - b. 398 leaf 120 - mtg. deed
Henry A. Gould - Nov. 15, 1850 - assigned equity of Davis - $398.91 -
Jonas W. Davis property - Mar. 26, 1851 - public auction
William Calder - Mar. 26, 1851 - b. 443 leaf 224 - $362.50
William Calder - Mar. 25, 1852 - b. 458 leaf 138 & 139
William D. Stark - Aug. 2, 1859 - b. 662 leaf 13
Hiram H. Appelman - July 8, 1893 - b. 126 p. 480 - $800. mtg. deed of Stark
Bancroft T. Haynes - May 17, 1897 - b. 155 p. 430 auction, mtg. sale $1300.
Bancroft T. Haynes estate, Clover Stone Extr. - Feb. 25, 1929 - Probate #163,680
Haynes heirs, Edmond B.Haynes, Delphine H. Baldwin, Eliz. D. Pratt, Elizabeth J. Haynes. - 1929
Charles & Hazel E. Milligan - Nov. 3, 1934 - b. 583 p. 46 & 47
Charles & Hazel E. Milligan - May 29, 1864 - b. 1010 p. 369
Hazel E. Milligan estate, heir Charles - June 7. 1997 - probate
Donald C. Milligan & Joyce E. Pelletier - Nov. 17, 1979 p. 28
Eric Milligan & Andrea E. Pickles - June 11, 2010 - b. 12065 p. 237
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||Davis - Stark House|
|Source||style - njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||barn - garage|
|Acreage||0.164 acre acre; lot size: 7,604 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 90'|
|Map and parcel||157-34|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/6/2016|