This house is "one of a kind" on this avenue and in town. It is a Queen Anne style home but has incorporated transitional style details of Shingle style and Eastlake elements. The projecting shingled gable arch is unique and frames the double window with false-fan arch above. The hip porch roof curves to a small ridge. Turned porch posts, corner brackets and railings are all original detail on the house. The flat board banding between stories and pillar like break where the porch meets the body of the house are Eastlake detail. Projecting corners on the side bay with scrolled brackets add additional visual elements. The body of the house seems plain in contrast but would have had window shutters to break up the mass on the facades.
Washington Ave. was constructed in 1889 and named on the Centennial of George Washington’s visit to Andover in 1789. Constructed over farm land of Charles O. Cummings, house lots were then sold off to residents and developers. By 1906 eighteen new homes had been built. Interesting to note that five new owners, Tyler, Lewis, Gray, Stiles and Caldwell were House Carpenters and Cummings and Wardwell were developers at each end of the avenue.
Aug. 30, 1889 Andover Townsman p. 4 - The new street, Washington Ave. is progressing rapidly, and from all appearances it is likely to be a good piece of road. The ledge at the Elm Street end had been blasted sufficiently, and the men are now engaged cutting down the ground above the grad and filling in the lower places. Quite a piece stretching from Summer Street is ready for the finishing touches.
October 25, 1889 AT – The new street Washington Ave. is beginning to look like a very good piece of road. The top dressing of red spring gravel is being put on.
Nov. 1, 1889 p.1 AT Commissioner Hayward has finished putting the top coat of Red Spring gravel on Washington Ave. and one sidewalk has been made the entire length.
21 Washington Ave – 21-74
James Marshall purchased this lot from Charles O. Cummings on Oct. 28, 1896.
AT- March 26, 1897 p.1 – James Marshall will soon erect a new house for himself on his lot on Washington Avenue. Richardson & Pitman have the contract to build it.
AT April 30, 1897 – The batters are up for James Marshall’s new house on Washington Avenue.
AT July 9, 1897 – James Marshall, clerk at T.A. Holt’s is enjoying a nine days vacation.
AT July 16, 1897 – James Marshall will move into his new house on Washington Avenue next week.
AT July 23, 1897 – Richardson & Pitman have finished the work on the houses of James Marshall and Mrs. Kydd this week.
James Marshall was born in Glasgow, Scotland on Mar 23, 1868, son of James & Mary Marshall. James emigrated to U.S. arriving in Boston on April 15, 1885 age 27. James made his way to Andover and was employed as a grocery clerk with T.A. Holt & Co. in their store in the basement of the Baptist church.
James married on Sept. 4, 1891 in Lawrence, MA to Agnes Isabel Singleton, b. Sept. 22, 1869 in Knocknadona, Co. Antrim, Ireland (No. Ireland) dau. of Robert & Elizabeth (Lavery) Singleton. Agnes was a weaver and came to Lawrence in 1889. James & Agnes had four children of which three survived: James Jr. b. Mar. 4, 1892, Mabel Elizabeth b. Mar. 30, 1894 and Clifford Elliot b. Oct. 20, 1899.
AT Jan. 22, 1897 – p. 1 – James Marshall one of T.A. Holt & Co.’s clerk has been confined to the house for several days as a result of being run over by one of the heavily loaded grocery teams, while delivering goods, last Friday afternoon. It seems hardly credible that he could have escaped without a broken limb, but he did and will be all right again in a few days.
Sadly Agnes died on Aug. 7, 1913. James later re-married in 1927 in Melrose, MA to Jessie Brodie Carver, b. Oct. 25, 1884 in Rattray, Perth, Scotland, dau. of James & Christina (Campbell) Carver. Jesse emigrated in 1906. James retired from the grocery business and worked as an operative in the woolen mill of the American Woolen Co. His daughter Mabel was a graduate of Boston University & Emerson College, school teacher in Andover at the Jr. High from 1934-1960 teaching history and English. James retired in 1938 and wife Jessie died on Nov. 24, 1946. James then sold the home and moved in with his son Clifford Marshall at 22 Pasho St. James died on April 10, 1950 and is interred at South Parish Cemetery.
John and Jane N. Carver purchased the property from James on Jan. 11, 1947. John Carver was the nephew of Jessie (Carver) Marshall and live with them went his first arrived in March 1930 from Scotland at age 19. John was also employed at the American Woolen Co. in Shawsheen Village. John was born in Dundee on Dec. 20, 1910. John married on Sept. 15, 1934 in Andover to Jane “Jean” Noble McComiski b. Oct. 4, 1909 in Methil, Scotland. They had two children; John Jr. b. 1935 and Marilyn Janet b. 1938. The property was later deed to their son John Jr. and wife Ina R. on July 28, 1964. Jane died in Nov. 1976 and John died in Boston on Jan. 3, 1986. The property remains with the family as of this date.
Northern Essex Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedule
Ancestry.com - Marshall & Carter families
Joseph Cummings estate
Charles O. Cummings
James Marshall – Oct. 28, 1896 – b. 153 p. 350
John & Jane N. Carver – Jan. 11, 1947 – b. 693 p. 457
Jane N. Carver – Mar. 14, 1960 – b. 943 p. 379
John Jr. & Ina R. Carver – July 28, 1964 – b. 1014 p. 392
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||James & Agnes Marshall House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Richardson & Pitman|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Acreage||0.2329a – 14,280 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||21-74|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 1/30/2020|