Colonial Revival - Georgian Revival
William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at a special Town Meeting on November 13, 1922 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1926 were Thomas & Jennie B. Grieve. Thomas was a manager with the American Woolen Co. In 1928 Grieve moved across the street to #22 William St and Herbert W. & Grace Bowler were leasing the home. Herbert Bowler was president and treasurer of the Shawsheen Lumber Company.
This house was sold to Mary H. Ware wife of Charles L. Ware on Dec. 19, 1932. Charles was an engineer for the American Woolen Co. The Ware family owned the property for 14 years selling to Andrew J. Lloyd on Aug. 26, 1946. Andrew b. in 1895 was an Attorney. His wife Ann C. b. 1895 was a housewife. A daughter M. Elizabeth Lloyd b. 1931 is listed as an L.B.M. representative.
With the death of Andrew J. his wife Ann C. Lloyd sold the home to Robert F. & Kathleen A. Kelley on July 12, 1978 who continue as owners of record in 2015.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company - lot 30
See map #2531 Apr. 1952 - additional land
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Textile Realty Company - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87
Mary H. Ware, husband Charles L. Ware - Dec. 19, 1932 - b. 568 p. 354
Andrew J. Lloyd - Aug. 26, 1946 - b. 688 p. 531
Andrew J. Lloyd, Ann C. Lloyd heir. probate - 1978
Robert F. & Kathleen A. Kelley - July 12, 1978 - b. 1344 p. 224
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Charles & Mary H. Ware House|
|Construction Date||1922 - 1923|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-119|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 6/24/2015|