21 Wolcott Avenue

Architectural Description: 

This home would be listed as a Colonial Revival home built from about 1905 - 1915 and is known as the "American Four-Square" The boxy form with hip roof above wide eaves and including the roof dormer here, is derived from early prairie house designs of Frank Lloyd Wright. The Four Square has been adapted to many different forms from Classical style to minimal design elements. “Variations on a theme” to suit the owners taste and budget.

Historical Narrative: 

Wolcott Avenue was laid out in March 1902 by engineer John E. Smith Map #96. It is said to have been named for Governor Roger Wolcott former Lt. Governor 1893-1897 and then Gov. from 1897-1900. The street had 29 house lots and was a portion of the 25 acre Samuel B. Locke estate at 70 Elm St. The farm extended down to Maple Ave and was bounded by Walnut and Elm Streets. Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B., held the deed on Apr. 12, 1876. Anne sold off some of the first lots on the Ave before naming her daughter Florence M. Locke her Trustee on June 2, 1909. Florence then had charge of selling the remaining house lots. Annie and Florence had life tenancy in the Locke homestead at 70 Elm St.

All the deeds came with restrictions. Only one home per lot, either single or a two family. The home had to cost at least $3000 above the foundation. The cost was later raised to $3500. A set back of 30’ from the street and all garages in the rear of the property. By the 1920’s they restricted one story bungalows.
Wolcott Ave has a diverse mix of styles including modified Queen Anne, Shingle style craftsman, Bungalow craftsman, Four Square, Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial homes.

This parcel "lot #10 was sold by Florence M. Locke, Trustee, to Harry H. Noyes on Sept. 2, 1919. The house is listed in the 1920 Andover Valuation Schedule Harry H. Noyes; Wolcott Ave, House $4200, 8800 sq. ft. land $900 = $5100 valuation. The property deed was then paced into Mary A. Noyes name on May 10, 1920.

Lottie M. Cole, widow of Frank L. Cole purchased on Jan. 6, 1928 and two years later sold to George W. & Hazel K. Glennie on May 29, 1930. George and Hazel were both born in 1902. George was an Insurance salesman. This home remained with the Glennie family for 61 years.


21 Wolcott – 38-199- Lot 10 - 0.202 acre – 8800 sq. ft.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plans #96 - Sam. B. Locke Estate - Mar. 25, 1902

Samuel B. Locke - Nov. 1, 1861 - b. 629 leaf 251
Charles O. Cummings - Nov. 16, 1871 - b. 12 p. 282
Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B. - Apr. 12, 1876 - b. 40 p. 37
Florence M. Locke, Trustee - June 2, 1909 - b. 274 p. 489
Harry H. Noyes – Sept. 2, 1919 – b. 403 p. 39
Mary A. Noyes – May 10, 1920 – b. 422 p. 341
Lottie M. Cole, wid. of Frank L. – Jan. 6, 1928 – b. 537 p. 298
George W. & Hazel K. Glennie – May 29, 1930 – b. 552 p. 236
George W. Glennie estate, Hazel K. Glennie heir – d. June 8, 1980
Hazel Kent Glennie estate, Ruth G. Peterson, - Probate
Steven R. & Mary Jane (Kelly) Gallant –Oct. 23, 1991 – b. 3337 p. 241

Inventory Data:

StreetWolcott Av
PlaceAndover Center District
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Historic NameNoyes - Glennie House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1919 - 1920
SourceERDS, NERDL, style,
Architectural StyleColonial Revival
Wall/Trimclapboard/wood/vinyl clad
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuresgarage
Acreage0.202 acre – 8800 sq. ft.
Map and parcel38-199
Recorded byW. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered28 Feb 1980, 4/23/2018