Palladian window in archway with ornamental patterns
Of chief architectural interest is doorway and second story Palladian window archway with carefully ornamented patterns of a local carpenter gouged in a way that was common then in Andover architecture.
Themes: Architectural, community development, education.
Mark Newman bought 1 acre and 19 poles of land from Issac Blunt  on old training field where George Washington held reception on horseback in 1789 on his tour of New England States. The Training grounds is now the site of Memorial Bell Tower.
Rev. Mark Haskell Newman was 3rd Principal of Phillips Academy, 1794-1809. By 1811 he built this house with a store to south. Store razed 1897. Newman also South Church Deacon, 1811-1825; first Sunday School Supt. 1818.
In 1829, he gave acre of land for new Abbot Academy and served as Pres. of Board of Trustees until 1843. He lived 210 Main until 1817, when he exchanged this house with trustees for Samuel Abbot House, 57 Central. He died 1859 in house site of Christ Church. He was also clerk of P. A. Board of Trustees, 1809-1836.
Doctor, essayist, poet Oliver Wendell Holmes lived over kitchen in wing of east of main house. Professor Murdock was faculty resident then. [Poem follows]
Oliver Wendell Holmes lived here while a student, class of 1825.
"The schoolboy's chosen home is reached at last, - I see it now, the same unchanging spot - The swinging gate, the little garden plot - The narrow yard, the rock that made its floor - The flat, pale house, the knocker-garnished door - The small, trim parlor, nest, decorous, chill - The strange new faces, kind but grave and still." [From "The Schoolboy" written and read by Oliver Wendell Holmes in 1878 at the centennial Celebration of the founding of Phillips Academy].
Professor Emerson lived here. An abolitionist, he harbored fugitive slaves here. Prof. Shedd also lived here.
1863-1904, Prof. Egbert Smyth was a resident. He was involved in "Heresy Trials" at Andover Seminary when he and several other professors were accused of heresy for their liberal theology and anti-Calvinistic teachings. Smyth was only one not exonerated and case went to Mass. Supreme Court.
James C. Sawyer, Treasurer of Phillips Academy and Director of Andover National Bank, 1902-1933, lived here.
Holmes, Oliver W. "Cinders from the Ashes", pages from an Old Volume of Life, Cambridge, Riverside,1891, vol. VIII also - "the Schoolboy", 1878.
Rowe, H. History of Andover Theological Seminary
Andover Townsman: Oct. 30, 1936
Goldsmith, Bessie. Historic Houss of Andover, 1946 Townswoman's Andover, 1964
Le Boutillier, Addison. Early Wooden Architecture in Andover, Mass. 1977, p.6
Fuess, Claude. An Old New England School; History of Phillips Academy, Boston; Houghton Miffin, 1917
Robbins, Sarah Stuart. Old Andover Days, Memories of a Puritan Childhood,1908, p. 20
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Newman, Rev. Mark Haskell House|
|Present Use||faculty house|
|Original Use||residence, boarding house for P. A. students ca. 1825-|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||41-4|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|