213 Andover Street

Architectural Description: 

Stick Style/Picturesque
Much original detailing, some from other bldgs (doors, etc), winding staircase

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: architectural, community development, transportation

This structure was built for the Ballard Vale Mill Co., later know as the J. P. Bradlee Manufacturing Co., as their private firehouse to protect the company's Mill buildings and several employee tenements in the village. It has the distinction of being one of only two existing mid 19th century firehouses remaining in Andover, the other at 78 Maple St. With the construction of a new fire house by the town of Andover on the current site of the apartment building on Andover St. on the west side of the Shawsheen River this firehouse was no longer a necessity for the Mill Co. It was converted into a private dwelling house having just four rooms, two bedrooms and a bath. The Lowry family appear to be the first to occupy the house. The deed references the Plan of J. P. Bradlee Estate 1889 b. 218 p. 600. lot #25 on the plan and the southeastern part of parcel #7 in deed book 218 p. 238-245 of the Ballard Vale Mill properties.

Victor George & Jane Lowry purchased the former firehouse. With the death of V. George Lowry in 1937 the estate was inherited by wife Jane and children Patricia J., Virginia W. and Samuel D. Lowry all of Andover. The family later sell to Henry (Harry) C. & May Nason on Dec. 20, 1946. May died on April 24, 1960 and husband Harry then deeded the property over to George L & Audry M. Nason on June. 6, 1960. Harry held a life tenancy but died only a few months later on Sept. 11, 1960. The Nason family continues to own this historic property.


Essex Northern Registry of Deeds, Lawrence
Essex County Registry of Deeds, Salem
Andover Historical Society AHS vertical files
Plan Map of J. P. Bradlee Estate 1889 - AHS
Andover Maps. 1872, 1888
1872: Insurance record listing of firehouse
1926 Resident directory.
1884: Ballard Vale Mills firehouse owner J.P. Bradlee
1926: Victor Lowry, telegrapher

Ballard Vale Mill Co. - Wm. H. Higgins Trustee Feb. 28, 1887 - Estate of J. Putnam Bradlee
Ballard Vale Mill Co. - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 238-245
Victor George & Jane Lowry - Sept. 28, 1920 - b. 526 p. 367
V. George Lowry estate - Jane Lowry wid. Extrx. May 13, 1937 - Probate
Henry C. & May P. Nason - Dec. 20, 1946 - b. 694 p. 119
Henry C. Nason - Apr. 24, 1960 - by probate
Henry C. Nason - June 6, 1960 - life estate
George L. & Audry M. Nason - Jun. 6, 1960 - b. 916 p. 75

Inventory Data:

StreetAndover St
Historic DistrictBallardvale Local Historic District
Historic NameBallard Vale Mills Fire House, Bradlee Fire House
Present Useresidence
Original UseBallardvale Mills Fire House
Construction Datelate 19th century
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleStick
Roofgable roof, asphalt
Conditionfair (1996)
Acreageless than one acre; 6,426 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 60 feet
Map and parcel139-57
MHC NumberANV.35
Recorded byStack/Mofford; Bernice Haggerty (Ballardvale Historic District Commission) J. S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-1977; Jan 1996; 2/2014