Two houses (?); three chimneys.
Themes: Architectural, education, religion.
Original owner: Andover Theological Seminary
Built by William Bartlet, an associate founder of Andover Theological Seminary, who made his money in the East India trade. Moses Stuart was its first resident and lived here untill 1854. He was known as "the father of Hebrew literature in America.", wrote the first Hebrew grammar printed in this country, for which he set the type himself at Flagg and Gould print shop in 182?. He wrote tracts in numerous Oriental languages and thus, was influential in the Andover inspired missonary endevors all over the world.
Professor Stuart's daughter, Sarah in her later years [she died at 93 and her book was published when she was 92!] wrote her memories of growing up as a seminary professor's child on Andover Hill, offering delightful personal glimpses of people and scenes long gone.
Professor John Henry Thayer [1864-1882] was an occupant. Professor George Harris (1898-1902) who later became President of Amherst Colloge lived here. Robert Keep and W. R. Arnold [1902-1903] were other faculty residents. Others were Alfred Kidder, John Phillips, Lester Lyde, Alan Blackmer, all Phillips Academy teachers.
Another of Professor Moses Stuart's daughters was Elizabeth, first wife of Prof. Austin Phelps [189 Main St.] and was also a published writer. She wrote novels under the pseudnoym of H. Trusta. After her death, Austin married her sister Mary Stuart.
Fuess, Claude M. Andover: Symbol of New England, 1959
Fuess, Claude M. An Old New England School: History of Phillips Academy, Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1917
Goldsmith, Bessie; Historical Houses In Andover Mass., complied for tercentenary 1946
Paradise, Scott. Men of the Old School: Some Andover Biographies, Andover Press 1956.
Paradise, Scott. Some Old Houses & Historic Sites in Andover, 1934
Robbins, Sarah Stuart. Old Andover Days: Memories of a Puritan Childhood, Boston: Pilgrim Press, 1908
Rowe, Henry K. History of Andover Theological Seminart. Boston: Thos. Todd, 1933.
Woods, Rev. Leonard. History of Andover Theological Seminary. Boston: James Osgood, 1885.
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Stuart House - Andover Theological Seminary|
|Present Use||residence & rooms for students|
|Original Use||Faculty house - seminary professor|
|Source||Goldsmith, Hist. Houses|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||clapboard barn|
|Major Alterations||interior remodeled 1961|
|Map and parcel||57-55|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|
|Date entered||August, 1977|