22 Brook Street

Historical Narrative: 

George L. Abbott & William S. Jenkins builders and partners in the firm Abbott & Jenkins purchased this property on Mar. 13, 1877. It extended from Book St. to School and Ridge Streets. Phebe F. Pasho, wife of George N. Pasho purchased a parcel of land on Dec. 18, 1877 for $800. Phebe later sold this lot to Dennis Donovan on Oct. 1, 1881. Dennis paid $600.

Dennis was born in Ireland about 1820, son of Jeremiah & Catherine (O'Brien) Donovan. Dennis immigrated to America in the 1840's. He was a Day Laborer. He married Margaret Higgins, b. 1826 in Ireland, daughter of Charles & Julia Higgins. They had at least eight children of which six survived to adulthood. Katie b. 1848 - d. ?, Mary A. b. Feb. 1857, Julia A. b. Oct. 1858, Catherine E. b. Mar. 1861, Peter J. b. July 1862, Dennis b. 1864, Margaret C. b. Feb. 1867 and Annie G. b. Mar. 1869. The 1860 Census lists Katie Donovan age 14 at the end of the list. She does not appear on the 1865 Mass. State census but Dennis Donovan age 1 is listed.

The 1880 Census lists Dennis as a Day Laborer, wife Margaret, Daughters, Mary A., Julia a "Reeler" in the Smith & Dove Co. flax mill, Catherine a Weaver in the flax mill, and son Peter as Coachman. Margaret & Annie are in school. Their combined incomes may have contributed to building the house. Dennis' wife Margaret died of Dropsy on Jan. 3, 1888. Eldest daughter Mary may have assumed the household duties.

In 1900 Dennis now 80 is retired. Mary A at home, Julia is a house servant, Catherine a dressmaker, Peter continues as a coachman. Margaret Donovan is a 5th and 6th grade teacher at the Indian Ridge School on Cuba St. and is also the Principal. She later married to Kimball Annie Donovan is a music teacher.

Dennis died on Jan 21, 1903 after sustaining injuries from a fall on ice and fractured his hip. He is interred at St. Augustine's Cemetery in the family lot. His children all are heirs of his estate. The 1920 Andover Valuation schedule lists Dennis Donovan Heirs, 22 Brook St. House $2700, barn & shed $200, 11,451 sq. ft land $1100.

Daughter Mary A. died on Jan. 23, 1918 and Catherine on Sept. 9, 1939. Ann G. Donovan was the last of the Donovan' to occupy the house and on her death the property was sold through her Executor Anna Greeley. The property was sold to Thomas B. & Daisy N. Gorrie on Apr. 1, 1946 who held the property for 18 years. In the 1963 Andover Directory The Gorrie family are listed in the house. Thomas B. b. 1887 is a pattern maker, Daisy b. 1889 a housewife, William Gorrie b. 1914 works at a milk plant and and Sarah J. b. 1925 is also at the milk plant. A Lilly R. Harris b. 1876 at home is residing in the home.

The St. Mary's Church Society, Lawrence, MA, mother Church of St. Augustine's in Andover acquired the house on March 10, 1964. The house was later demolished and the site converted into parking for the parishioners of St. Augustine's Church. The property was then deeded to the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Boston on Sept. 28, 1966.


Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA

George L. Abbott & William S. Jenkins - Mar. 13, 1877 - b. 47 p. 245
Phebe F. Pasho, wife of George N. - Dec. 18, 1877 - b. 49 p. 245
Dennis Donovan - Oct. 1, 1881 - b. 65 p. 402
Dennis Donovan Estate, Heirs, Mary A, Peter J., Julia A., Catherine, Margaret.
Ann G. Donovan estate, Anna Greeley , Extrx - Probate - #215206
Thomas B. & Daisy N. Gorrie - Apr. 1, 1946 - b. 682 p. 533
St. Mary's Church Society, Lawrence, MA - Mar. 10, 1964 - b. 1005 p. 145
Roman Catholic Archbishop of Boston - Sept. 28, 1966 - b. 1065 p. 163

Inventory Data:

StreetBrook St
PlaceAndover Center District
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NameDennis Donovan House
Present UseChurch parking lot
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1881 - 1882
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architect/BuilderGeorge Abbott - William S. Jenkins
Roofasphalt - gable
Conditionrazed 1966
Demolition Detailsrazed in 1966 for additional parking for St. Augustine's Church
Map and parcel55-43
Recorded byJames S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date enteredApril 5, 2017