22 Pleasant Street
Site of History 🛈The Site of History tag is given to properties that were lost before this building survey was undertaken.

Architectural Description: 

Greek Revival - Picturesque

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: Architectural and Community Development

Edwin, Lucretia, Eleanor, Alice Flint House
Present owner Theodore Reality Trust: Tr. Evangelos A. Theodore Etal.(1975)

John Hunt purchase a parcel on Dec. 15, 1811 from James Cochran and a second lot form Isaiah Brown on Jan. 22, 1819. The two lots combined were 25 acres. John was born on Feb. 1, 1786 in Andover, son of Paul & Elizabeth Hunt. John married Elizabeth Monson of Dracut b. 1786, their intention recorded on July 12, 1808. No issue recorded in Andover. Elizabeth died on March 15, 1839 age 53 and John died on Oct. 13, 1839 age 57. Both are interred at West Parish Cemetery. John sold his property on March 20, 1838 to John Webster for $400. The deed was recorded on April 8, 1839.

John Webster was born 1816 in Boston, son of Nathan & Hannah (Eastman) Webster. John married on Oct. 6, 1840 in Andover to Eleanor Hamblet b. 1815. They had six children: Ellen Hamblet b. Sept. 26, 1841, Abigail Ann b. Oct. 15, 1843 –d. Nov. 2, 1846 of consumption, Almira Esther b. Nov. 17, 1846, Lucretia Orpha b. Oct. 27, 1848, Nathan b. Sept. 19, 1851 and Mary Elizabeth b. April 19, 1854.

The Webster farm in the 1850 Andover Valuation Schedule list Dwelling house & barn $325, 56 adjoining acres $1120, 4 acre pasture $56, Red House $100 = $1601. Personal Estate; Farm stock and money $392. John owned the farm for 53 years. Daughter Mary E. married on March 30, 1876 in Tewksbury to James Sheldon Flint. After the death of his wife Eleanor on Jan. 1, 1890 at age 75, John sold the farm to James S. Flint on April 4, 1891. John Webster died on March 15, 1895 age 79y 7m. John and family are interred at West Parish Garden Cemetery.

James S. Flint was born on July 31, 1851 in Andover, son of Miles & Katherine (Hardy) Flint. James married in 1876 to Mary E. Webster who was most likely born in the homestead. The Flints occupied the farm for 74 years. James & Mary had five children of which four survived. Children; child b. 1877 - d. June 30, 1877, Alice b. Aug. 7, 1878, Edwin Miles b. Mar. 11, 1881, Eleanor Hamblet b. July 14, 1883 and Lucretia Webster b. April 17, 1888.
The 1920 Andover Valuation Schedule lists James S. Flint; House and shed $1200, Barn $200, New barn $700, Henhouses $100, 50 acres land $1500,6 acres Woodland $150,4 acres Woodland (Hardy) $75 = $3925.

James' wife Mary E. Flint died on October 15, 1896 age 42. The family was connected with the Baptist Church in North Tewksbury where James served as a Deacon and also Superintendent of the Sunday school for a few years. Their children attended the Bailey School through 8th grade. Alice enrolled at Punchard High School class of 1897 and Eleanor class of 1902. Lucretia graduated from Punchard in 1906 then graduated from Bridgewater State Normal School in 1908 as a teacher. She taught at public schools in North Andover and Milton, MA. Edwin followed in his father’s footsteps as a farmer. James died on Dec. 24, 1920.

The Flint siblings never married and remained in the family home until they had passed on. Lucretia died on Aug. 22, 1940 Edwin died on Nov. 11, 1959 and Eleanor and Alice in 1965. The Flint estate was Probated on Dec.20, 1965 by Edith S. Thompson Administrator. The land had been sold off in parcels by the Flints and the homestead with 2.2. acres was all that remained in 1959. With the death of Edwin, Alice and Eleanor sold off the farmland to Fred Doyle in Aug. 1959.
Both Alice and Eleanor died in 1965 and are also interred at West Parish Cemetery. The Flint estate was then administered by Edith S. Thompson, Executrix, Thompson then sold the house to James M. & Claire M. O'Hagan on Dec. 27, 1965.

James & Claire O’Hagan purchased the property on Dec. 27, 1965. James M. O’Hagan b. Aug. 22,1923 in Andover, son of Edward and Margaret O’Hagan. James married Claire Molloy b. 1923 in Lawrence, dau. of Frank and Ann Malloy. The O’Hagan's had ten children; J. Michael b. 1948, Colleen M. b. 1950, Rosemary T. b.1953, Darren E. b. 1955, Deirdre E. b. 1956, Patrick F. b. 1957, twins Brendan J. & Brian b. 1958, Liam P.
b. 1960 and Siobhan A. b. 1962

James worked for the Post Office and later was Postmaster at Ballardvale. Claire loved music and was a member of the Merrimack Valley Sweet Adeline’s. The family were members of St. Robert’s Bellarmine Church. James died on Jan. 10, 1978 in Boston. Claire died on July 14, 1984. James and Claire left their estate to their children who then sold to Kathy M. Psoinos on Dec. 15, 1993. The O’Hagan's would be the last family to occupy the homestead a total pf 30 years. The house and barn were razed in 1994 and a new home for Kathy Psoinos was built on the lot.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map Plan #3933 - May 1959 - Edwin M. Flint
Map plan #6747 - 1972 - Fred W. Doyle

John Hunt, wife Elizabeth – Dec. 5, 1811 – b. 95 leaf 167 from James Cochran
John Hunt, wife Elizabeth – Jan. 22, 1819 – b. from Isaiah Brown
John Webster – March 30, 1838, rec/ 4/8/1839 – b. 312 leaf 192 $400, two lots = 25acres
James Sheldon Flint, wife Mary – April 4, 1891 – b. 112 p. 34 - $3500 – 50 acres
James Sheldon Flint estate Edwin A. Flint Adm. – three parcels #2 is Homestead, on 35 acres
Flint heirs; Lucretia, Edwin, Alice and Eleanor –
Alice Flint – Aug. 31, 1959 – b. 900 p. 348
Frances Rooks - Sept. 4, 1959 - b. 901 p. 87
Alice E. Flint & Eleanor H. Flint - Sept. 4, 1959 - b. 901 p. 88
Eleanor H. Flint estate - 1965 - Alice E. Flint heir
Alice Flint estate, Edith S. Thompson Adm. – Dec. 20, 1965 – Probate
James M. O’Hagan, wife Claire – Dec. 27, 1965 – b. 1051 p. 201 – 2.2 acres & homestead
James M. & Claire M. O’Hagen estates, Heirs – 9 children 1993.
O'Hagen heirs, J. Michael, Rosemary T., Darren E., Deirdre E., Patrick F., Brendon J., Liam P., Siobhan A., (Colleen M. estate)
Kathy M. Psoinos – Dec. 15, 1993 – b. 3930 p. 179

Inventory Data:

StreetPleasant St
PlaceBailey District - West Parish - West Andover
Historic DistrictAndover Historic Building Survey
Historic NameJohn Webster - James S. Flint House
Present Useresidence
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1830's - 1840's
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleOther
Roofasphalt - gable
Outbuildings / Secondary StructuresBarn (1975)
Major AlterationsHouse and barn razed in 1995
Conditionrazed 1995
Demolition Details1994 razed for new construction
Acreage2.2 acres (11.3 acres, no frontage or 334')
Map and parcel224-1
MHC NumberANV.437
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, 1/17/2016