LHD - Greek Revival one and 1/2 story home
Themes: Architectural, Community development, Industry
Present owner: Yonaker, William & June (16 Apr 1968)
Many early deeds on River St. refer to the road from Daniel Poor's house to Andrew Stimpson's dwelling house. River St. was also the Way to Wilmington or the Wilmington Road. River Street was developed in 1844 as Ballardvale Mills required housing for its employees.
This property was once owned by John Marland and sold to William Foster, gentleman on May 25, 1843. Foster paid $25 for the half acre lot. "Master" Wm. Foster died on August 30, 1843 at the age of 85. It was noted that he was the "oldest man in the Parish" The deed was not recorded until Feb. 20, 1844. His heir, William P. Foster, then sold this lot to Eaton Green of Ballardvale, yeoman, for $614.21 in May 1845. Green then sold to Andrew B. Stimpson and wife Mary Ann on May 15, 1845 for $800. with buildings.
Andrew Stimpson was born in 1797 and was a "Trader" or store keeper. His store was located in the building at 205 Andover St. on the corner of River St. Andrew B. Stimpson made his will on Oct. 6, 1849. Andrew's will states "is feeble and in ill heath but of sound and disposing mind and memory." He named his wife Mary Ann Warren Flint., daughter of John & Sarah Flint, the Executrix of his estate. Andrew died of Consumption at age 52 on April 5, 1850 and is interred in South Parish Cemetery. The estate inventory includes large amounts of furniture and household goods indicating what he sold at his store. Mary Anna settle his estate in June 1850 would then sell the property to the Andover Savings Bank in August 1851. which included two parcels.
The property was later sold to James & June Caffrey on Nov. 27, 1862, recorded on March 12, 1863. The Caffrey family were long term owners of the property for 84 years. Margaret Galvin, wife of John J. Galvin, of Wakefield, MA was the last Caffrey heir to own. Margaret sold to Leo E. & Yvette Beaulieu on July 11, 1946. Beaulieu held four years then selling to John D. & Clair E. Townsend on Dec. 1, 1950. Townsed owned for 18 years then selling to William J. & June A. Yonaker, Jr. on April 16, 1968, the owners of record in 2016.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Chickering, Jacob; "Miscellaneous Records, Notes" MVTM?
Poore, Alfred: " Historical - Genealogical Visitation of Andover, Mass in the Year 1863" Essex Institute Historical Collection vol. 48 - 49
John Marland - 1843
William Foster - May 25, 1843 - b. 342 leaf 40 - 1/2 acre $25.
William Foster estate, Wm. P. Foster - Adm.
Eaton Green - June 12, 1845 - b. 356 leaf 173 - $614.21
Eaton Green - May 15, 1845 - b. 357 leaf 288
Andrew B. & Mary A. Stimpson - May 15, 1845 - b.370 leaf 117-118 - $800. w/blds
Andrew B. Stimpspn estate, widow Mary A. Stimpson
Mary Ann Stimpson - 1851
Andover Savings Bank - Aug. 1851 - b. 449 leaf 198
James & June Caffrey - Nov. 27, 1862 - b. 648 leaf 64 - $500.
Calvin Mears to John Caffrey - Oct. 22, 1860 - b. 743 leaf 122
William Caffrey to John Caffrey - Mar. 18, 1865 - $70
John Caffrey estate, will Probate
Bridget Caffrey widow, heir Apr. 1, 1895 - Probate
Thomas E. Caffrey - Oct. 20, 1902 - b. 198 p. 383 - 4th parcel
Thomas E. Caffrey estate, d. Dec. 12, 1918, heirs James H. Caffrey, Matthew Caffrey, Margaret J. Galvin
Margaret J. Galvin Feb. 5, 1919 - b. 395 p. 456
Leo E. & Yvette R. Beaulieu - July 11, 1946 - b. 686 p 23
John D. & Claire E. Townsend - Dec. 1, 1950 - b. 741 p. 21
William J. & June A. Yonaker, Jr. - April 16, 1968
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Andrew B. & Mary A. Stimpson House|
|Original Use||residence, Mill housing|
|Construction Date||1843 - 1845|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Wall/Trim||clapboard/ asbestos shingles|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||cinderblock garage|
|Major Alterations||Asbestos shingle covers original clapboard siding, replacement windows, front porch later addition|
|Acreage||0.192 acre; lot size: 8,384 sq. ft.; approx. frontage: 110'|
|Map and parcel||139-62|
|Recorded by||N.J. Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 12/28/2016|