Queen Anne style
Washington Ave. was constructed in 1889 and named on the Centennial of George Washington’s visit to Andover in 1789. Constructed over farm land of Charles O. Cummings, house lots were then sold off to residents and developers. By 1906 eighteen new homes had been built. Interesting to note that five new owners, Tyler, Lewis, Gray, Stiles and Caldwell were House Carpenters and Cummings and Wardwell were developers at each end of the avenue.
Aug. 30, 1889 Andover Townsman p. 4 - The new street, Washington Ave. is progressing rapidly, and from all appearances it is likely to be a good piece of road. The ledge at the Elm Street end had been blasted sufficiently, and the men are now engaged cutting down the ground above the grad and filling in the lower places. Quite a piece stretching from Summer Street is ready for the finishing touches.
October 25, 1889 AT – The new street Washington Ave. is beginning to look like a very good piece of road. The top dressing of red spring gravel is being put on.
Nov. 1, 1889 p.1 AT Commissioner Hayward has finished putting the top coat of Red Spring gravel on Washington Ave. and one sidewalk has been made the entire length.
22 Washington Ave.
Joseph R. Lewis purchased the house lot for $300 from Charles O. Cummings on May 21, 1892. Joseph was a house carpenter and most likely had a hand in building his home. Lewis took a mortgage loan from William S. Jenkins, an Andover contractor, in October 1892.
Joseph Richard Lewis was born in Union, PA on Aug. 16, 1851, son of John & Sarah Lewis, both born in England. Joseph was living in Palo Alto, PA in 1873 when he joined the Mason Lodge but was diminished in Aug. 1876 which may indicate his move to Massachusetts. Joseph lived in Boston when he married Abbie L. Goodhue on May 19, 1881 in North Andover. Abbie was born July 8, 1853 in North Andover, dau. of Moses & Louisa Goodhue. Joseph and Abbie had three children of which two sons survived; Ernest H. b. Mar. 30, 1882 and John Moses b. Feb. 1890.
Ernest was a teamster and John an electrician. Joseph Lewis died on Oct. 6, 1919 and is interred at Ridgewood Cemetery, North Andover. Abbie and son Ernest, now working for Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co., remained in the home. Abbie died in 1936 and Ernest in 1938. The property was then sold to Mary E. Buss wife of James H. Buss on May 19, 1938.
Northern Essex Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedule - 1920
Ancestry.com - Lewis & Goodhue families
Charles O. Cummings
Joseph R. Lewis – May 21, 1892 – b. 118 p. 479 - $300 lot
Joseph R. Lewis estate, Abbie L Lewis heir – Oct. 6, 1919 – b. 408 p. 433
Abbie L. Lewis estate, 1936 heir, Ernest W. Lewis – probate
Ernest W. Lewis estate, Elwyn A. King, Adm. – Apr. 25, 1938 – probate
Mary E. Buss wife of James H. – May 19, 1938 – b. 615 p. 77
Mary E. Buss estate, Mary C. & Hugh A. Eldred - Oct. 3, 1941 – b. 645 p. 57
Michael A. & Lisa M. Robichaud – Aug. 12, 1994 – b. 4104 p. 308
L. & M. Trust, trustees Michael A. & Lisa M. Robichaud –June 26, 2018 b. 15528 p. 163
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Joseph R. & Abbie G. Lewis House|
|Construction Date||1892 - 1893|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Architect/Builder||Joseph R. Lewis|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Major Alterations||Replacement windows|
|Acreage||0.392a – 16,730 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||21-95|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 1/30/2020|