Federal style double house, six bay, two chimneys,
hip roof. Dual entry defined by pilasters framing the outside of the doorways and between the two entry ways. 19th century rear ells on each dwelling with 20th century additions. All removed because of condition at the time the house was moved (2004).
Original orientation- east/west
Orientation at 352 S. Main-west/east
This Federal style double house directly abutts the Phillips Academy campus and Academy Hill National Register Historic District. Throughout the 20th century, the house served as an apartment house with a maximum of six units. In the early part of the 20th century, it was used to house domestic help, presumably for the Andover Theological Seminary and/or Phillips Academy according to town directories. The 1930 Sanborn map shows the structure included within the boundaries of Phillips Academy. During the 19th century, the houses appear to be owner occupied. No information is available on the occupants.
Phillips Common 11/1/7/2004
Dodd Realty Trust 6/6/2002
Rosalie V. Dodd, 5/31/2001
Bruce S. and Rosalie Dodd. 4/18/1969
Ruth C. Hoihan, August 1967
Arthur F. Jackson, 9/1960
Helen Jackson, June 1947
Mary Yule, July, 1944
Ann Hollows, August 10, 1944 (half house)
George Pillsbury (half house)
Mrs. S.F. Beard, 1906
Miss S.A. Wallace, 1884 estate of S.F. Beard
Spencer F. Beard 1860-70 (half house)
Albert Abbott (half house) 1850
In 2004, the originial double house was moved to 352 South Main Street by Michael Ristuccia. The remaining two ells consisting of four apartments was razed. The garage was also razed.
The design for the new structure, consisting of five condominium units on the 221-223 site, by Andover architect Robert Bramhall, mirrors the original double house.
Note: According to the 1992 street directory, So. Main St. begins with #234 and #243.
Town tax records 1850-1947
Andover town directories
1930 Sanborn map
1906 Andover Village Map
1884 Map of Andover
1852 Map of Andover
Andover Assessors office
Registry of Deeds
Andover Historical Society vertical files: see files for 352 South Main Street
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Construction Date||circa 1800|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage - razed 2004; rear ells razed 2004 when building moved|
|Major Alterations||pool 1973|
|Move Details||2004 to 352 South Main Street|
|Acreage||1.13 acres; approx. frontage 122'|
|Map and parcel||57-44|
|Recorded by||Stack & Mofford/Herman|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|