NRDIS NRMRA LHD
Great over-scaled detailing; on dramatic site, two interior chimneys, wings and ell; Victoria porches; side entrances w/double doors - interesting floating front porch roof with acorn pendants.
Survey form revised by Barbara Thibault 1987 AHS
Original owner: John Marland
Themes: Architectural, Commerce, Community Development
This was the residence of John Marland, proprietor of Ballardvale Mills. He designed this country "mansion house" to his own liking and according to the taste of his time sparing no expense.
Josiah Putnam Bradlee was connected with Ballardvale Mills from its founding as a textile plant; associated first with John Marland as mill's treasurer, 1842. After 1866, Bradlee was sole proprietor and there "he made the finest flannels in the world." At Philadelphia Centennial, 1876 - Ballardvale products took prize for "perfection in fabric."
Capt. J.P.utnam Bradlee did much to develop Ballardvale. He built an amusement center, (Bradlee Hall) where concerts and other events were held . He opened his own personal library in 1878, to the employees and residents of Ballardvale as Vale's first public library.
When Capt. Bradlee died in February 1887 in Boston. He left over one million dollars, and estate, presumably including his country mansion, to N.J. Bradlee, his sister, but she died following year. Jones, Strong and Hodgkins took over as Trustees of the estate and Ballardvale Mills.
The Ballardvale district schoolhouse built in 1889 at #149 Andover St. was named in honor of J.P. Bradlee in 1897.
The house contains 20 rooms and was converted into apartments in the mid 1950s by C. Lincoln Giles local architect who later did the Old Andover Village (89 - 93 Main St.) and the Nathan Frye House at 166 North Main St. Giles also converted the former carriage to the east into house into a home. The Mansion now has 7 apartments, with 9 bedrooms and 7 baths.
1856 map: John Ellis lived in the Marland house in the Vale, later left for Boston (Charlotte Helen Abbott genealogy)
1866: Josiah Putnam Bradlee owned it but lived in Boston and often had employees or visitors staying in the Marland House.
1872: George and Elizabeth Riley and 5 children occupied house
1884: James Shaw, superintendent of the mill
1917-19: Mr. William H. Hodgkins Trustee of the Ballardvale Mills.
Deed states property was once numbered #392 Andover St. - many properties in Andover were renumbered in 1959.
Essex County Registry of Deeds - Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry of Deeds, Lawrence, MA
National Register of Historic Places
Andover Historical Society files
Andover Advertiser - Dec. 15, 1855
Business History of Andover - Souvenir of Andover's 250th Anniversary, 1896
Obituary: Josiah Putnam Bradlee - Boston Weekly Transcript, Feb. 8, 1887
Bailey, Sarah Loring; Historical Sketches of Andover, 1880, p. 532, 594 - See also Ballardvale Mills
See Map #3070 July 11, 1955 - C.Linclon Giles - lot A - Mansion house, lot B. carriage house.
Ballard Vale Mill Co. - Sept. 10, 1849 - b. 417 leaf 29 Salem
J. Putnam Bradlee - acquired several the following parcels in the 1860s for mill expansion;
James S. Little et all - June 3, 1852 - b. 462 lf. 252
Barney McEnroe - Mar. 5, 1863 b. 651 lf. 300
Samuel Calley estate of Wm. Calley - Jun. 2, 1863 b. 653 lf. 283
Moody Russell - Aug. 14, 1863 - 657 lf. 161
Abiel Saunders - Oct. 9, 1863 - b. 659 lf. 120
Frances Cogswell Trustee of Abraham Marland - Dec. 30, 1863 - b. 660 lf. 72
Lydia A. Parker - May 4, 1864 - b. 745 lf. ?
Henry J. Gray - July 13, 1864 - b. 671 lf. 146
Andrew Morrison July 25, 1865 - b. 687 lf. 279
Mansion House lot - south pat of parcel 1
J. Putnam Bradlee estate - 1887 -Wm. H. Hodgkins trustee
three parcels, Marland lot, Mill lot and pasture lot.
Ballard Vale Mills - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 pgs. 238-245
E. Marion M. Dyson - Nov. 3, 1927 - b. 536 p. 404 - Mansion house
Edith Marion Marsden Dyson estate - George Marston Admin. of estate probate #243435
C. Lincoln & Janice E. Giles - Apr. 18, 1955 - b. 812 p. 474
James P. & Justine H. Doherty - June 19, 1959 - b. 897 p. 30 - portion of lot
Arthur G. Manley Jr. - Dec. 31, 1965 - b. 1051 p. 390
Arthur G. & Mary E. Manley Jr. - Dec. 28, 1967 - b. 1099 p. 370
Madrigal Trust - Manley & Latham Tr. - Nov. 17, 1972 - b. 1207 p. 228
Eight 55 Realty Trust Geo. & Ellen Schrvender - Oct. 23, 1981 - b. 1541 p. 144
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Marland - Bradlee House/ The Mansion House|
|Original Use||mansion house of mill-owner|
|Construction Date||1843-1848; (1836)|
|Source||njs; Andover Historical Society, Alfred Poore|
|Wall/Trim||flush boarding & clapboard|
|Roof||hip - Asphalt shingles|
|Major Alterations||Into apartments; A symmetrical facade probably indicates additions of architect to current style (features accordingly) House was burned in 1842 - rebuilt in 6 weeks and 3rd floor added. After 1854 an addition. House was restored in 1955.|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||117-1|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Bernice Haggerty (Ballardvale Historic District Commission) J.S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77; Jan 1996, 2/2014|