Colonial Revival, Bracketed eaves; hip roof, handsome front porch details including iron grill work roof fence, if original, may have also been a balustrade on the top of the roof.
Themes: Architectural, community development.
Present owner John & Kathryn Cussen (1975-77)
Oct. 23, 1874 Andover Advertiser - AA – John H. Flint is at work on a new avenue leading through his land from Elm Street to Carmel lane.
John H. Flint was a local businessman, married Frances Tyer, and lived at 8 Elm St. Flint owned most of the land near his home and created Maple Ave in 1874. The property once was part of the Locke estate at 70 Elm St.
Flint sold this property on the east side of Maple Ave to John Walker, wife Annie on Apr. 20, 1872 for $600. Walker held the vacant lot for six years then sold to Eunice R. Chandler, wife of John H. on Apr. 23, 1878 for $750. It appears the John Chandler built the house.
John Henry Chandler was born in Andover on Feb. 15, 1840, son of John & Phebe (Russell) Chandler. John married on Dec. 25, 1866 to Eunice R. Gray, b. Apr. 1841. John and Euncie had six children: Frederick G. b. Aug. 1870, Florence C. b. Oct. 1875, James R. b. May 1877, Eunice B. b. Apr. 1880, Alice F. b. Oct. 1881 and John F. b. Apr. 1883.
John & Eunice first lived at 27 Main St. and John owned a Fancy goods store below their apartment. On June 14, 1867 the Andover Advertiser news; "Marshal Blood has removed his family from Main Street to his house on High Street, and sold out his newspaper and periodical business to John H. Chandler for the first of July. Mr. Blood as served the people of Andover in the line of business, most faithfully for more than fourteen years. His successor is a very efficient and accommodating young gentleman, but the familiar face of the retiring old veteran will be greatly missed by the reading community.
The house where the shop was located was purchased by Jacob Barnard. He renovated by raising the house up off the foundation about 12 feet and inserted two stores on the street level. After Barnard completed the the work the paper reports Oct. 21, 1870 –“John H. Chandler has returned to is old stand in Barnard’s Block, Main Street, where his newspaper, periodical and fancy goods store has been enlarged, improved and filled up in fine style. There is not a neater or more attractive shop in the village.” Chandler also owned Johnson’s Andover & Boston express and had his office here in 1885.
August 23, 1895 AT- J. H. Chandler’s store was sold to Omar P. Chase, now clerk at Valpey Bros. market. Mr. Chase is well known about town. John would relocate to Worcester, MA in 1896 and sold the home to William G. Goldsmith on Sept. 23, 1896 for $4300.
William Goldsmith lived around the corner on Elm St. and this was a business investment. Goldsmith was the former Principal of Punchard Free School and Andover Postmaster 1893-1897.
Alfretta W. Caldwell, wife of Albert W. purchased the property on Jan. 5, 1899 for $4000. The Caldwell family owned for twenty years.
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover maps, 1872, 1882, 1906
John H. Flint - land - 1872
John Walker, wife Annie - Apr. 20, 1872 - b. 48 p. 297 - $600
Eunice R. Chandler, wife of John H. - Apr. 23, 1878 - b. 52 p. 433 - $750
William G. Goldsmith - Sept. 23, 1896 - b. 150 p. 135 - $4300.
Alfretta W. Caldwell, wife of Albert W. - Jan. 5, 1899 - b. 166 p. 247 - $4000
Alfretta W. Caldwell estate, Albert W. Caldwell heir
Herbert C. & Hannah C. Miner - May 1, 1919 - b. 398 p. 498
Hannah C. Miner estate, Herbert C. heir - July 23, 1936 -
Hannah C. Miner estate, Augustine X. Dooley, Adm. - July 5, 1938 - Probate
John J. & Teresa A. Fleming - July 8, 1938 - b. 623 pgs. 493-494
John P. & Katherine Cussen - Aug. 2, 1943 - b. 659 p. 447
John P. Cussin estate, Katherine P. Cussen heir - Mar. 25, 1971 - probate
Katherine P. Cussen & Anne M. Cusssen - Nov. 4, 1986 - b. 2347 p. 293
Katherine P. Cussen estate, Anne M. Cusssen, - Dec. 19, 1993 - probate
23 Maple Ave Nominee Trust, Anne M. Cussin - Feb. 27, 2001 - b. 6025 p. 293
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||John H. & Eunice Chandler House|
|Present Use||residence - 2 family|
|Construction Date||1878 - 1880|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||later dormers & cornice|
|Acreage||0.464 acre, 22,250 sq. ft.; approximate frontage 100'|
|Map and parcel||38-185|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 4/17/2018|