This corner lot was once bordered by Back Street (now Highland Rd) and Salem Street. The empty lot was owned by Henry B. Ensworth in 1868 when he sold the lot to Julius A. Palmer and wife Lucy M. Palmer on May 20, 1868. With the death of Julius in 1872, Lucy inherited the parcel and then sold it to her son Julius A. Palmer Jr. on Jan. 4, 1873 for $380. Lucy was living in Boxford at the time of sale.
Julius A. Palmer, of Nahant, sold the lot just nine months later for $350 to Thomas & Louisa A. Timlin of Boston on Sept. 30, 1873. Timlins held the property for seven years then selling to Charlotte W. Hultgren on July 8, 1880.
Hultgren paid $430 for the lot.
Charlotte W. Hultgren had plans of building a house on the property and had begun with construction of a cellar. Charlotte sold the parcel for $500 to Elizabeth B. Butterfield on Oct. 8, 1881. Elizabeth's husband James P. Butterfield had purchased the former house of William Jenkins. It was located next to the old Jenkins Homestead at 362 Salem Street, most likely on Jenkins Rd.
The Andover Advertiser give the following accounts;
October 21, 1881 AA. - James P. Butterfield is removing the dwelling house recently occupied by William Jenkins, deceased, and situated near the old homestead, to Salem Street, opposite the residence of Mrs. Carter. The new location was recently purchased of Charlotte W. Hultgren, and had a cellar upon it. The building is removed by Geo. Wilson of Methuen.
November 4, 1881 AA - Mr. Butterfield’s house progresses slowly. The whole distance of removal is about two miles and three quarters. On Wednesday night it had reached the top of the hill west of the residence of John B. Jenkins only about half a mile from the starting point. The stormy weather of the past ten days has delayed the work.
November 8, 1881 AA. - Mr. Butterfield’s house has reached its destination and will soon be in position.
December 23, 1881 AA - Mr. Butterfield’s house, in its new location on Salem St., has been finally fitted up. The grading about the premises has added to the attractiveness.
The Butterfields owned the property for 46 years before the Butterfield estate sold the property to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on July 9, 1927.
The house was used as student dormitory and now for faculty housing.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser 1881
Henry B. Ensworth - land
Julius A. & Lucy M. Palmer - May 20, 1868 - b. leaf Salem deed
Julius A. Palmer estate, heir Lucy C. Palmer - 1872
Julius A. Palmer Jr. - Jan. 4, 1873 - b. 19 p. 75
Thomas & Louisa A. Timlin - Sept. 30, 1873 - b. 59 p. 60
Charlotte W. Hultgren - July 8, 1880 - b. 61 p. 532 -
Elizabeth B. Butterfield - Oct. 8, 1881 - b. 65 p. 562
Elizabeth B. Butterfield estate, Bell Joy Butterfield Extrx. - 1927
Trustees of Phillips Academy - July 9, 1927 - b. 533 p. 111
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Butterfield House|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Map and parcel||58-14|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||March 21, 2015|