This home would be listed as a Colonial Revival home built from about 1905 - 1915 and is known as the "American Four-Square" The boxy form with hip roof above wide eaves and including one dormer, is derived from early prairie house designs of Frank Lloyd Wright. The Four Square has been adapted to many different forms from Classical style to minimal design elements. “Variations on a theme” to suit the owners taste and budget. This roof has slate.
This has an asymmetrical facade with entrance on the right and three gabled window hoods repeating the gabled hood over the entry.
Wolcott Avenue was laid out in March 1902 by engineer John E. Smith Map #96. It is said to have been named for Governor Roger Wolcott former Lt. Governor 1893-1897 and then Gov. from 1897-1900. The street had 29 house lots and was a portion of the 25 acre Samuel B. Locke estate at 70 Elm St. The farm extended down to Maple Ave and was bounded by Walnut and Elm Streets. Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B., held the deed on Apr. 12, 1876. Anne sold off some of the first lots on the Ave before naming her daughter Florence M. Locke her Trustee on June 2, 1909. Florence then had charge of selling the remaining house lots. Annie and Florence had life tenancy in the Locke homestead at 70 Elm St.
All the deeds came with restrictions. Only one home per lot, either single or a two family. The home had to cost at least $3000 above the foundation. The cost was later raised to $3500. A set back of 30’ from the street and all garages in the rear of the property. By the 1920’s they restricted one story bungalows.
Wolcott Ave has a diverse mix of styles including modified Queen Anne, Shingle style craftsman, Bungalow craftsman, Four Square, Colonial Revival and Dutch Colonial homes.
This parcel "lot #11 was purchased by George M. & Mary Littlefield on Apr. 3, 1913 and two years later sold to Carl E. & Anna E. Elander on July 2, 1915.
Malcolm B. McTernan, wife Helen M. purchased the property on June 29, 1920. The 1920 Andover Valuation Schedule lists Malcolm B. McTernan at 27 Wolcott Ave. and the 1920 Census list him at 25 Wolcott. Malcolm purchased 2 lots #11 and #12 and sliced off a small portion to enlarge his lot. He then sold lot #11 to Wilfred & Elizabeth W. Lord on July 26, 1923. The property remained with the Lord family for 45 years.
William H. & Marilyn R. Ash, Jr. purchased the Lord home on Dec. 5, 1968.
23 Wolcott – 38-200- Lot 11 - 0.202 acre – 8800 sq. ft.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See plans #96 - Sam. B. Locke Estate - Mar. 25, 1902
Samuel B. Locke - Nov. 1, 1861 - b. 629 leaf 251
Charles O. Cummings - Nov. 16, 1871 - b. 12 p. 282
Anne H. Locke, wife of Samuel B. - Apr. 12, 1876 - b. 40 p. 37
Florence M. Locke, Trustee - June 2, 1909 - b. 274 p. 489
George M. & Mary Littlefield – Apr. 3, 1913 – b. 328 p. 125 lot
Carl E. & Anna E. Elander – July 2, 1915 – b. 355 p. 507 – lot
Malcolm B. McTernan, wife Helen M. – June 29, 1920 – b. 427 p. 42
Wilfred & Elizabeth W. Lord – July 26, 1923 – b. 483 p. 434
Margaret G. Hurley – July 8, 1949 – b. 725 p. 166
Elizabeth W. Lord – July 8, 1949 – b. 725 p. 167
Warren C. Moffitt – Feb. 19, 1950 – b. 889 p. 209
Wilfred & Elizabeth W. Lord – Feb. 19, 1950 – b. 889 p. 210
William H. & Marilyn R. Ash, Jr. – Dec. 5, 1968 – b. 1120 p. 423
Robert Kent Jr. – July 31, 1970 – b. 1156 p. 792
Ralph V. & A. Catherine G. Bakkensen – Nov. 2, 1983 – b. 1741 p. 253
Samuel P. & Lindsey H. Reeves – Dec. 30, 1998 – b. 5295 p. 147
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Wilfred & Elizabeth W. Lord House|
|Construction Date||1923 - 1924|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Acreage||0.202 acre – 8800 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||38-200|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 4/23/2018|