Style: now contemporary but originally built as a carriage house for the mansion house next door. The front facade would have contained two sets of double doors. Shed roof typical of barn style usually attached to main house.
This home with the contemporary style look of today was originally the carriage house and barn for the John Marland mansion next door at #228 Andover St. The shed roof on the structure was a typical style plan of this period for carriage houses that usually were connected to the main house. The front facade when built most likely had two sets of doors allowing one bay for the horse stalls and the second housing the carriage. Small room for storage of harness, grain and tools and a loft above for hay storage. The shed roof would draw the water away from the front doors avoiding dripping water on the owner.
A board and batten sheathing was most likely the original exterior covering.
The property was originally owned by John Marland the owner of the Ballard Vale Mill Co. It was later acquired by J. Putnam Bradlee business partner from 1866-1887. It was held by his estate until sold to the Ballard Vale Mill Co. in 1905. The mansion house was used as a home for the upper management and trustees of the company. In 1927 Marion Edith Marsden Dyson purchased the mansion house property listed as the southern part of parcel #1. Dyson held the property until her death in 1955. She was living in Auburn, NY. George R. Marsden administrator of her estate then sold the property to C. Lincoln & Janice Giles in July 1955.
The conversion to a private home came in 1955 when local architect and developer Lincoln Giles purchased the mansion house property and divided the lot into five separate parcels. This lot was parcel B. on plan #3070. Lot A was the mansion house which was also renovated and lots C, D, & E to the east were sold off has house lots.
Giles then sold the former carriage house to Arthur & Mary R. Flynn in Oct. 1955. Flynn sold to Emile C. & Carol A. Moured in 1968. The front glass enclosure was added later as a passive solar entry taking advantage of the southern exposure. The Moured family may have added it during their ownership during the fuel energy crisis in the early 1970's
Essex Northern Registry of Deeds, Lawrence
Plan #3070 July 11, 1955 - C. Lincoln Giles
John Marland 1840's
Ballard Vale Mill Co.
J. Putnam Bradlee - 1860's-1887
Bradlee Estate - Wm H. Higgins, Trustee Feb. 28, 1887
Ballard Val Mill Co. Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 238-245
Marion M. Dyson - Nov. 3, 1927 -b. 536 p. 404
Marion Edith Marston Dyson estate - George R.
Marston Admin. - Apr. 18, 1955 - b. 812 p. 474
C. Lincoln & Janice Giles - Apr. 18, 1955 - b. 812 p. 474
Arthur & Mary R. Flynn - Oct. 19, 1955 - b. 822 p. 156
Emile C. & Carol A. Moured - June 7, 1968 - b. 1108 p. 138
Pamela Kvilekval - Jan. 9, 1973 - b. 1210 p. 193
Michael Frishman - July 5, 1991 - b. 3312 p. 322
230 Andover Street LLC - Walter Nugent mgr. - Jan. 3, 2002 - b. 6590 p. 154
Eric J. Tetler - Dec. 6, 2004 - b. 9267 p. 276
Joseph Halpern & Joanne Worthington - Dec. 6, 2005 - b. 9932 p.82
Joseph & Joanne Halpern - Jan. 19, 2010 - b. 11914 p. 340
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||John Marland Carraige house|
|Original Use||carriage shed|
|Source||Andover Historical Society files - Alfred Poore 1863|
|Roof||shed - asphalt|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Garage to east House once an outbuilding part of the mansion of John Marland - mill owner next door at #228 Andover St.|
|Major Alterations||renovations were made to turn the carriage shed into a residence (1955 - 1956)|
|Acreage||less than one acre|
|Map and parcel||117-2|
|Recorded by||Bernice Haggerty (Ballardvale Historic District Commission) J.S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jan 1996; 2/2014|