Federal Style home
Timothy Flagg and Abraham J. Gould were business partners under the name Flagg & Gould. Their print shop was located just north of their homes on the green triangle of lawn between Main & Dwight Streets and Highland Rd. Many publications were published for Andover Theological Seminary and the missionary movement. Through their dedication, Andover Press had an international reputation in education and theology. Both active members of South Church.
Timothy Flagg was born on Nov. 4, 1893 in Cambridge, MA, son of Timothy & Sarah (Hicks) Flagg. Timothy married on Dec. 9, 1818 to Hannah Trow of Hopkinton, NH, born May 3, 1799. Timothy served as a Private in Capt. Samuel Child's Co. Mass. Militia in the War of 1812. Timothy enlisted on Sept. 10, 1814 and was discharged on Oct. 31, 1814.
Timothy and Hannah had seven children; Sarah Hicks b. Nov. 7, 1819, Martha Swan b. July 15, 1821, John Dalton b. Apr. 2, 1823, Caroline b. Oct. 16, 1825, Timothy b. July 29, 1827, James Hicks b. July 5, 1829 and Hannah bat. Nov. 11, 1832 - d. Feb. 16, 1837.
Timothy became a member of the South Church on Jan. 1, 1832. He died intestate on June 11, 1833 at the age of 40. His wife Hannah filed for his pension and the document states she was in Andover in 1851, Townsend, MA in 1855 and back in Andover in 1878. Hannah died on Nov. 16, 1895. Her residence in Townsend, MA was most likely when her daughter Sarah H. married on July 24, 1844 to Rev. Luther H. Sheldon and was called to the church there in 1844. Daughter Martha S. married the Rev. Silas G. Randall but died in 1852. Son John Dalton Flagg married Caroline W. Lothrop, joined South Church in Nov. 1851 then left on Aug. 12, 1857 to form the Unity Church in South Boston. Son Timothy Flagg married Emily Sophia Ripley on May 6, 1851 and lived in North Chelmsford, MA. They had five children: Caroline, Walter, Bertha Lillian, Lewis G. and James Chester. Timothy died on Mar. 7, 1873 and some of his children apprear on the deeds when the Flagg estate is sold in 1898.
George Hartley purchased the Flagg home on Mar. 22, 1898 and then sold to Sarah J. Bucklin on June 13, 1898. A deed date issue was corrected in Aug. 1901 through Sarah H. (Flagg) Sheldon and back to Bucklin on Sept. 6, 1901.
Evelyn Ashley Clarke, wife of Henry L. then purchased the property on Dec. 19, 1903. A boundary dispute arises in 1922 and Evelyn A. Clarke files a Petition with land Court. certificate #1071. The Pacific Mills of Lawrence, MA, Alfred E. Cully, Treas. buy the property on Mar. 18, 1922 - Ctf. #1091. and hold for seven years. The property is then purchased by H. Gilbert & Madeline B. Franke on Sept. 19, 1929. The Franke family own for 14 years selling to Edward S. & Marjorie G. Eckman on July 12, 1943.
Adair & Judith H. Miller purchased the home on Apr. 4, 1949 and were the owners for 58 years. Adair Miller died on Feb. 10, 2007 at age 95. His widow Judith H. Miller then sold to the Trustees of Phillips Academy on Dec. 12, 2007. The home is now used as faculty housing.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Timothy Flagg - Probate #9557 - July 11, 1833
John Phillips, wife Lydia 1817 - land
Timothy Flagg - July 19, 1817 - b. 215 leaf 274
Timothy Flagg estate, heirs: Wid. Hannah T. Flagg - July 16, 1833 - Probate
Hannah T. Flagg estate, Nov. 16, 1895 heirs: Sarah H. Sheldon, James H. Flagg, John D. Flagg, James C. Flagg, Lewis G. Flagg & Caroline F. Emerson - 1895
George Hartley - Mar. 22, 1898 - b. 161 p. 434
Sarah J. Bucklin - June 13, 1898 - b. 162 p. 282
Sarah H. Sheldon - Aug. 26, 1901 - b. 188 p. 18
Sarah J. Bucklin - Sept. 6, 1901 - b. 201 p. 143
Carrie F. Curtis -
Evelyn Ashley Clarke, wife of Henry L. - Dec. 19, 1903 - b. 208 p. 522
Evelyn Ashley Clark - certificate #1071 - Petition of Court
Pacific Mills, Alfred E. Cully, Treas. - Mar. 18, 1922 - Ctf. #1091
H. Gilbert & Madeline B. Franke - Sept. 19, 1929 - Ctf. #1745
Edward S. & Marjorie G. Eckman - July 12, 1943 - Ctf. #2816
Adair & Judith H. Miller - Apr. 4, 1949 - Ctf. #3479
Adair & Judith H. Miller - Mar. 5, 1990 - Ctf. #10873
234 So. Main St. Realty Trust; Adair & Judith H. Miller, Trs. Aug. 10, 2000 - Ctf. #13515
Adair Miller estate, heir Judith H. Miller - Feb. 10, 2007
Trustees of Phillips Academy - Dec. 12, 2007 - Ctf. #15780
|Street||South Main St|
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Timothy Flagg House|
|Construction Date||1817 - 1820|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Roof||asphalt - hip|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||barn, razed 2008|
|Map and parcel||58-19|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/6/2016|