site & buildings were endangered by industrialization and highway development in 1980
Present owner: Catherine Shattuck, estate of - J. A. Dolten, Trustees (August 1977)
Original owner: Land originally C. L. Dudley Bradstreet house, Joseph Shattuck
Themes: Aboriginal, Agricultural, Architectural, Community development, Exploration/settlement, Recreation
Historical significance: Land believed to be part of Col. Dudley Bradstreet's farm, part of which came into possession of Sarah Farnum, wife of Benjamin Abbot, - and then to sons, David and Jonathan Abbot. Jonathan's daughter, Phebe, was married to Joseph Shattuck Jr.. Thus, Shattucks have occupied since 1807.
Bailey says, Joseph Shattuck "bought farm in West Andover near Merrimack River" 1728. His sons, revolutionary war soldiers, Capt. Joseph and Capt. Nathan settled within mile of each other on their father's lands. Both were selectmen, representatives to legislature. This was Joseph's homestead.
About 1941, Edward Shattuck retired from business in Boston and devoted himself to restoring this farm. He became known for price turkeys, which he fed bananas, and his Holstein cattle. He restored house and opened it as Shattuck Farm Tea House.
Indian village once on site. Many artifacts from archeological digs here - now in Peabody Museum, Andover.
Fire damage of house, July 1977.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Regisrty Deeds, Lawrence, MA
see 1980 National Register nomination for updated information
Andover Historical Society files / early deeds 1723 / 1724
Bailey, Sarah Loring; "Historical Sketches of Andover", 1880 p. 155, 364-365, 367, 369
Glennie, George et al; "Historic Andover", 325th Anniversary, 1646 - 1971, Andover Historical Society, 1971
Goldsmith, Bessie; "Historical Houses in Andover" - compiled for Tercentenary of Andover, Historical Society, 1946
John & Sophia Chemielecki - May 28, 1958 - b. 870 p. 429
David & Catherine A. Netti - b. 1021 p. 386
John Terrance & Patricia A. Sullivan - Sept. 29, 1975 - b. 1268 p. 162
Sullivan Family Trust - Sept. 9, 2003 -
|Street||High Plain Rd|
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic Name||Abbott - Shattuck Farm|
|Construction Date||circa 1728|
|Major Alterations||Moved from 125 River Rd. Andover 1982|
|Move Details||Moved 1982 from 125 River Rd, Andover|
|Map and parcel||172-7B|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 7/2014|