Gable end to the street was a popular Greek Revival style in the mid 19th century homes. Many house designs work off this basic plan but simplified the elements by removing engaged pillars and an enclosed pediment triangle on the gable ends. The two door surrounds are classic Greek Revival elements.
On the 1872 and 1884 map of Andover this property is shown and labeled Smith & Dove Manuf. Co. as is the house to the north. Smith & Dove were first established in Frye Village (now Shawsheen Village) in 1832 as a linen thread manufacturing company. They purchased, in 1843, the Abel & Pashal Abbott Mill in Abbott Village and slowly transitioned the business to this village. There was a need for company housing for their operatives so Smith & Dove began to purchase homes and built tenements for that purpose. The house was rented to working families in the mill. The company was purchased in 1927 by the Ludlow Co. and the mill closed in 1928. All the company holdings were placed into the Smith & Dove Tenements Inc., to be sold off to private owners. The name was later changed to Andover Homes, Inc. Only the Shattuck home at 12 Cuba St. is listed on the east side of Cuba St. in 1852.
The house was sold to Lewis C. & Clara Rokes of North Andover on May 6, 1927. Rokes took a mortgage with the Lawrence Coop Bank but with the stock market crash in 1929 and the Great Depression that followed many families in town would loose their property to the banks after defaulting on the loan.
Lawrence Coop Bank took possission of the property in Jan 1931 and five months later auctioned it off. Frank & Rose Connelly purchased the house in June 1931. Sadly Rose died a few years later in 1933. Frank later remarried to Katherine and they shared the property until 1955.
Wilfred A. & Doris T Stone bought the house in Nov. 1955 and remained nine years. Edward P. & Aline L. Champy Jr. from Dracut were the next owners in Nov. 1964. Adrien J. & A. Theresa Martin of Lawrence bought the property in Sept. 1969. Adrien died and Theresa held the property. She later re-married to become Mrs. DeStafano, moved to Salisbury, MA and sold the home to her son James E. and wife Susan H. Martin on Feb. 18, 1976. They remained just one year selling in July 1977 to Joseph F. Jeannette D. Guerrera who lived next door at 28 Cuba St. This property was purchased as investment property and the Guerreras rented the home.
Dennis C. & Janice R. Furey purchased the property on March 27, 1991 and the family continues ownership as of 2014.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1882, 1888, 1906
Andover Valuation schedules
Smith & Dove Tenements, Inc. Feb. 21, 1927 - b. 529 p. 583
Lewis C. & Clara Rokes _ May 6, 1927 - b. 531 p. 391
Lawrence Cooperative Bank - Jan. 6, 1931 - b. 556 p. 585
Frank & Rose Connelly - June 11, 1931 - b. 560 p. 317
Frank Connelly, surviving heir, Rose died May 12, 1933
Frank & Katherine Connelly -
Wilfred A. & Doris T. Stone - Nov. 14, 1955 - b. 824 p. 77
Edward P. & Aline L. Champy Jr. - Nov. 10, 1964 - b. 1-23 p. 315
Adrien T & A. Theresa Martin - Sept. 26, 1969 - b. 1140 p. 460
A. Teresa (Martin) DeStefano - July 31, 1975 - b. 1266 p. 707
James E. & Susan H. Martin - Feb. 18, 1876 - b. 1276 p. 453
Joseph F. & Jeannette D. Guerrera - July 27, 1977 - b. 1314 p. 297
Dennis C. & Janice R. Furey - Mar. 27, 1991 - b. 3283 p. 207
Dennis C. & Janice R. Furey - July 17, 2002 - b. 6947 p. 110
Dennis C. & Janice R. Furey - Aug. 10, 2010 - b. 12164 p. 301
Shawn D. Furey - June 10, 2013 - b. 13502 p. 120
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Construction Date||c. 1872|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Two car garage addition|
|Map and parcel||72-23|
|Recorded by||Sean Craft, J. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||5/31/91, 6/2014|