Greek Revival farmhouse
Nice entrance way with good side lights, channeled pilasters; Greek doorway under a later porch
Lydia Faulkner, widow of Joseph Faulkner owned this property when it was sold with buildings to Issac O. Barnard on May 15, 1847. Lydia lived at 9 Lowell Street and owned a four acre parcel on the south side of Lowell St. Her husband Joseph Faulkner was one of the three partners, John Smith and Warren Richardson who built the mill in Frye Village and began construction of cotton machinery. Joseph died on Aug. 5, 1831 leaving Lydia his estate. Richardson had died in 1829, now leaving John Smith sole owner of the company. He later joined with his brother Peter Smith and friend John Dove to establish the Smith & Dove Co. in Frye Village [see 9 Lowell St.]
Issac Osgood Barnard was born on May 10, 1805 son of John & Lydia Barnard. Issac married Eliza Ann Mooar of Middleton, MA int. Nov. 26, 1828. Children; Sarah Elizabeth b. June 22, 1929, Issac Albert b. Oct. 15, 1832, Lydia Maria Apr. 8, 1835 - d. Nov. 5, 1861, George Newton bpt. Sept. 18, 1842 and Henry Francis bpt. May 6, 1849. The 1850 Andover Valuation schedule lists Isaac O. Barnard's house and 1/2 acre lot at $750. His wife Eliza died on Feb. 6, 1881 and Isaac O. died on August 8th. They are interred in West Parish Cemetery.
Issac & Lydia sons, Isaac Albert, George N. and Henry F. inherit the family estate and sell the home to Sarah Abbott on Aug. 23, 1881. Sarah then sells the property to Joseph & Eliza Thompson on Oct. 20, 1881. Joseph then transfers the deed to John & Sarah Thompson on Jan. 11, 1882 with life tenancy in the home which would revert back to Joseph & Eliza upon their deaths which occurred in 1892.
Joseph & Eliza Thompson then living in Lawrence, MA sold the property to William H. & Jane (Thompson) Fortis on Feb. 13, 1892. William Fortis died in 1917 and his estate went to wife Jane and Sara Annie Dane. S. Annie Dane is deeded the property on July 13, 1917.
July 22, 1921 AT Shawsheen Villager - Mrs. William Fortis of Lowell Street, Oldest Resident of the Village, Passes Eightieth Milestone - Mrs. William Fortis of Lowell Street .... celebrated he 80th bithday last Monday. Mrs. Fortis was the recipient of many remembrances from her many friends in the village and elsewhere. and was happily surprised when the postman came around to receive a shower of birthday cards.
Mrs. Fortis, then Jane Thompson, came to this country with her parents in 1850, form Dalston, England. They first lived in Lamberton, N. J. then in Willimantic, Conn. and finally came to Frye Village on July 8, 1853, when Jane was only twelve years old. At the time the Richardson school had not been completed and the towering elms which now grow before the school had been planted but a short time. The Thompsons lived in the house just south of the old Frye Village Hall on Main Street.
Mrs. Fortis married Dec. 24, 1867, in Christ Church by the Rev. Samuel Fuller, and for awhile lived near the village center on Main street, moving to the house which she now occupies on Lowell Street, about thirty years ago. Mrs. Louis Dane of Florence street is the only child of the couple and the only remaining one of the original twelve brothers and sisters with whom Mrs. Fortis grew up is a sister, Miss Emma Thompson, who lives in North Truro, Mass. Mr. Fortis died about four years ago.
... Mrs. Fortis is in active good health. She does considerable cooking, weeds in the garden, and knits a great deal. Never a day is allowed to go by without the bird dish in the yard getting a goodly amount of tender morsels for the feathers inhabitants of the community. Perhaps "Aunt Jane" as her younger friends call her, is best known to many of the people in the village by virtue of her cookie pail, which she keeps always ready, and whose "Open Sesame" is a smiling happy face. Her house is certainly a favorite with the children of the Richardson school which is just across the way. ......"
Annie Dane sells to Avedis Ozoonian on Jan. 26, 1923 who then sells on Sept. 28, 1923 to William Madison Wood, President of the American Woolen Co. and Trustee of the Arden Trust. William M. Wood has transformer the former Frye Village into the model community of Shawsheen Village. This property was acquired late in the process of construction and is one of a few that was not moved and remains in its original location.
With the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 all the properties of the Arden Trust were sold or turned of the the Phillips Corporation of Maine for liquidation of the Trust. Cornelius A. Wood & Fred Edington were Trustees when Arden Trust was created on Feb. 9, 1921. It would be Cornelius A. Wood, son of William M. Wood who sold this property to John Lund Cederberg on Aug. 12, 1926.
Joseph Nathaniel Cedergerg was born on Feb. 6, 1887 in Norm Mellby, Skane' Sweeden, son of Johan & Elna (Perdotter) Cederberg. Joseph immigrated to the USA in 1913. He was first employed as a gardener for William Sutton in North Andover. Joseph later worked for H. P Hood & Sons at the Lawrence location. Joseph also served one year as a private in the Swedish infantry before coming to America. Joseph married Elfrida Elizabeth L. also of Sweden and they had three children, Ella A. b. 1915, John L. b. 1918 and Dorothy b. 1921. It is interesting to note that the deed was placed in his 8 year old son's name when the property was purchased in 1926.
The deed was transferred by Cecil E. Morin from John L. to his parents Joseph N. & Elfrida L.Cederberg on Apr. 26, 1937. In 1943 Joseph W. is listed as a chauffeur, Dorothy is VWA, John L. is US Army, a paratrooper in the Battle of the Bulge...101st Airborne. and Ella A. is a clerk in Wood Mill in Lawrence. Ella's first worked as a bookkeeper at the Shawsheen Dairy. Elfrida died on Jan 26, 1963 and husband Joseph on Jan. 20, 1964. The estate then went to the children; Ella A., John L., and Dorothy V. Daly
Ella A. Cederberg then acquired the property on Apr. 29, 1964. When Ella A. Cederberg died, her Executrix and heir, Dorothy Daly Marshall, by Probate on Jun. 26, 2001, transfers the deed to John J. Daly. John then deeds to Walter F. & Dorothy Daly Marshall, III on June 26, 2001. The Marshall Family Realty Trust on Jan. 11, 2012 is the owner of record in 2015. The family connection of ownership from Cederberg to Marshall in now 89 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1830, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906
Andover Resident Directories
Decennial Valuation & Personal Estate on the Town of Andover 1850, 1860, 1870, 1900,
Ancestry.com - US Census Records
Issac O. Barnard - May 15, 1847 - b. 387 leaf 112
Issac O. Barnard estate, heirs Albert, George N, & Henry F. Barnard died Aug. 7, 1881
Sarah Abbott - Aug. 23, 1881 - b. 66 p. 24
Joseph & Eliza Thompson - Oct. 20, 1881 - b. 66 p. 25
John & Sarah Thompson - Jan. 11, 1882 - b. 66 p. 241 life tenancy
Joseph & Eliza Thompson - 1892 -
William H. & Jane Fortis - Feb. 13, 1892 - b. 117 p. 202
William H. Fortis estate, Jane Fortis & S. Annie Dane heirs
S. Annie Dane - July 13, 1917 - b. 378 p. 154
Avedis Ozoonian - Jan. 26, 1923 - b. 472 p. 318
William M. Wood - Trustee Arden Trust - Sept. 28, 1923 - b. 485 p. 256
Arden Trust, Cornelius A. Wood & Fred Edington Tr. Feb. 9, 1921 - b. 447 p. 306
John L. Cederberg - Aug. 12, 1926 - b. 525 p. 35
Cecil E. Morin - Apr. 26, 1937 - b. 606 p. 198 - deed transfer
Joseph W. & Elfrida L.Cederberg - Apr. 26, 1937 - b. 606 p. 197
Joseph W. Cederberg estate, heirs; John L. Cederberg, Dorothy V. Daly
Ella A. Cederberg - Apr. 29, 1964 - b. 1008 p. 252
Ella A. Cederberg estate; heir Dorothy Daly Marshall, Extrx -Jun. 26, 2001 - probate
John J. Daly - June 26, 2001 - b. 6219 p. 286
Walter F. III & Dorothy Daly Marshall - June 26, 2001 - b. 6219 p. 287
Marshall Family Realty Trust - Jan. 11, 2012 - b. 12776 p. 48
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Isaac O. Barnard House|
|Construction Date||1830 - 1840's|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, AHS file, njs, style|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||shed/barn|
|Map and parcel||53-22|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 02/21/2006, 5/30/2015|