The large house is Colonial Revival in style classically based on the Georgian and Federal periods. High style details in roof dormers, arched windows, porch and roof railings, gambrel roof and facade symmetry blend to create an elegant look. The three car garage with family room above is an addition built in the late 1980’s.
This property was once part of the Aaron Cummings farm at 24 Phillips Street. On November 6, 1895 a 14.71 acres parcel was purchased from the Cumming heirs by Susan C. Dove, wife of George W.W. Dove of the Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. in Andover. George Dove was the son of John Dove, co-founder of the company. George had built the Victorian mansion “The Croft” at 250 North Main Street adjoining his parent’s estate at 276 North Main, now named “Arden”. The Dove heirs sold their parent’s estate to William M. & Ellen A. Wood in 1891. “The Croft” was sold to Curran & Joyce of Lawrence in May 1895. Andover Townsman (AT) May 3, 1895 p1; The Dove Estate Sold to Curran & Joyce – 50 Acres - $30,000 – one of the largest real estate sales ever made in Andover.
Susan & George Dove then moved into a house on Abbot Street. After purchasing the Cummings land Susan began construction of their new home. July 17, 1896 AT – "The new house being built for Mrs. G. W. W. Dove by out of town parties is well underway, the frame being nearly up. When completed it will be one of the most beautifully situated residences in town."
The Andover Directory of 1897 lists Susan, George and their two sons Percival and John, an architect, as living in the new mansion. After the death of George Dove, Susan sold the estate to Bartlett H. & Marjorie (Scull) Hayes on Jan. 4, 1909. Bartlett was a stock broker in Boston and in the 1930’s owned a date farm in Indio, California. The Andover directories list him as a rancher. He was a veteran of WWI. They had four children, Bartlett H. Hayes Jr. b. Aug. 5, 1904, Dorothy b. 1907, Ruth b. 1909 and Guy S. born 1912. Bartlett Sr. died on Mar. 8, 1951 in Tucson, AZ.
Bartlett H. Hayes Jr. grew up in Andover and was graduated from Phillips in 1922, received a B.A. degree in chemistry from Harvard in 1926. Bartlett then studied painting in this country and in Europe. Returning to Andover in 1933, he became an instructor in studio art and art history at the academy. Bartlett was also assistant curator at the Addison Gallery and became its second director from1940-1969. He was also a trustee of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston from 1949-1971, Director of the American Academy in Rome 1970-1973, member of the Art Commission of the Smithsonian Institution from 1954-1988. Bartlett co-author of ''The Layman's Guide to Modern Art'' in 1949, with Mary Rathbun Hemmenway. In 1954 he published ''The Naked Truth and Personal Vision,'' an explanation the nature of modern art. He also wrote ''The Intent of Art,'' one of the early television series on contemporary art, broadcast in 1965 over Channel 13. His last book, ''Tradition Becomes Innovation: Modern Religious Architecture in America,'' published in 1983. Bartlett died in February 1988. He was married to Clare Wadleigh and they had three daughters, Deborah, Delia-Maria and Hilary. The Hayes family held the property for 77 years before selling in January 1986 to Ellco, Inc. John J. Slavin Pres.,
John J. Slavin then sold to Robert M. & Heather (Menzies) Urich on May 30, 1986. Robert Michael Urich was an American film, television and stage actor and television producer and was starring in the television show “Spencer for Hire” 1985-1988 based in Boston. His wife Heather was also an actress in film and television. Her acting career began when she was cast as Louisa von Trapp in the film "Sound of Music". The Urichs did major renovations to the home both inside and out. The utilities were all updated, the roof and siding renewed and a new addition built with a three car attached garage with a workout gym above. After the TV show was cancelled the Urichs returned to California and the house was sold the E. Lewis Reid of Hancock Prospecting Realty Trust. The $1.8 million sale price is said to be the first house in Andover to sell for over one million at that time. Over the next decade the house was in the hands of different realty trusts and was rented. The current owners David & Stacia Glancy purchased in October 2002.
Aaron Cummings - April 1, 1865 b. 682 p. 45 Salem deeds land
Susan C. Dove - Nov. 6, 1895 b. 144 p. 306 Lawrence deeds
Marjorie S. Hayes - Jan. 4, 1909 b. 268 p. 336
Marjorie S. Hayes - June 5, 1931 b. 559 p. 416
Bartlett S. Hayes Jr. &
Henry E. Kingman - Nov. 7, 1955 b. 824 p. 201
Bartlett S. Hayes Jr. - Jan. 11, 1961 b. 930 p. 408
Ellco, Inc. John J. Slavin, Tr. - Jan. 31, 1986 b. 2123 p. 309
Robert & Heather Urich - May 30, 1986 b. 2202 p. 224
Hancock Prospecting Rlty. - Feb. 4, 1991 b. 3215 p. 102
E. Lewis Reid, Tr.
Georginia H. Rinehart, Tr.
Twenty Four Phillips NT - Nov. 10, 2000 b. 5918 p. 233
ACL Realty Trust - Nov. 30, 2001 b. 6511 p. 304
Elizabeth Pickering, Tr.
David L. & Stacia S. Glancy - Oct. 28, 2002 b. 7203 p. 206
See Plans #6246 – Feb. 1962 Lots A & B of MSH Trust and #11552 – Nov. 1988 easement
Certificate from the Massachusetts Historical Commission on file
Andover Vital Records
Andover Building Survey Forms
Northern Essex Registry of Deeds - Lawrence, MA
Ancestry.com Dove & Hayes families
Federal Census records, 1880, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
New York Times Obituaries Feb. 1988
|Place||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Dove - Hayes House|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Susan C. Dove|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||original carriage house razed 1990's Restoration of main house and ell with three car garage added in 1986 by Urich family|
|Map and parcel||56-9A|
|Recorded by||James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Dec. 2013|