Tudor Revival - brick facade, decorative brick pattern on chimney, exposed decorative timber in gables.
William Street was originally named Warwick Street when Shawsheen Village was laid out. The name was changed by a vote at Andover Town Meeting in March 1923 in memory of William M. Wood Jr., son of William M. & Ellen (Ayer) Wood, who died in an automobile accident on Aug. 15, 1922.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development 1918 – 1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were sold or rented through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
After the death of William M. Wood in Feb. 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or rent the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
This parcel of land was sold by the American Woolen Company directly to Amy E. Riley on Oct. 25, 1929. The property deed came with the same deed restrictions as all the properties in Shawsheen Village. A confirmatory deed was issued in Mar. 1931. Amy Elizabeth Creaser was born on Feb. 17, 1861 in Beverly, Yorkshire, England, daughter of John & Elizabeth (Smith) Creaser. Amy came to America in 188 at age 20 with her mother and other siblings. They joined their father John in Lawrence, MA.
Amy married on July 11, 1890 to Edward Smith Riley b. Feb. 20, 1861 in Lawrence, MA, son of James & Ann Riley. Edward was a teacher in Plymouth, NH at the time of marriage. Their first child Cora Ethel was born there on Mar. 20, 1891. They returned to Lawrence when Edward took a teaching position at Lawrence High School. He would later become the Sub-Master. Edward & Amy had five children, Cora, Charles S. b. Apr. 1892, Edward Creaser b. June 30, 1894, Edith Amy b. Sept. 8, 1895 and Marion b. Sept. 1899. All three daughters would become high school teachers. They lived a 6 Forest St. in Lawrence. Edward died on Jan. 31, 1926.
Amy Riley later sold their home and moved to Andover, renting an apartment at 10 William St. in Shawsheen Village. Amy was now 69 years of age. Amy had this home built in 1930 and is living here with her daughter Marion in 1931. Amy died on Jan. 15, 1939 just 8 years in the home. Her estate was administered by her daughter Marion E. (Riley) Curtis in 1939.
Nelson & Madeline B. Barlow purchased the home on Sept. 22, 1939. Barlow held the property for three years then selling to Walter N. & Florence B. Webster on Oct. 29, 1942. Walter N. was part owner of the H. K. Webster Co. in Lawrence, a feed and grain business. His father was Dean K. Webster, who lived a 11 Kenilworth St. and brother of Dean K. Jr. who was the treasurer.
Walter & Florence owned the home for 22 years.
Rudolph & Phyllis T. Muto bought fro Webster in Mar. 15, 1965. The Muto family are still the owners of record in 2015.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#879 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company
Henry P. Binney - Apr. 24, 1919 - b. 398 p. 52 - 9.86 acres
American Woolen Company - Dec. 30, 1920 - b. 435 p. 215
Amy E. Riley - Oct. 25, 1929 - b. 549 p. 509
Amy E. Riley - Mar. 25, 1931 - b. 557 p. 207
Amy E. Riley - Sept. 15, 1931 - b. 561 p. 305
Amy E. Riley estate, Marion E. (Riley) Curtis, Admin. 1939
Nelson & Madeline B. Barlow - Sept. 22, 1939 - b. 625 p. 548
Walter N. & Florence B. Webster - Oct. 29, 1942 - b. 654 p. 451
Rudolph & Phyllis T. Muto - Mar. 15, 1965 - b. 1029 p. 440
Rudolph Muto estate, Phyllis T. Muto, heir - Rudolph d. 1/30/2007
P. T. Muto Realty Trust - Dec. 23, 2008 - b. 11410 p. 164
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Riley - Barlow - Webster House|
|Construction Date||1929 - 1930|
|Architectural Style||Tudor Revival|
|Foundation||stone and brick|
|Roof||gable - slate|
|Map and parcel||52-109|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1980 - 6/24/2015|