Peter Shattuck, a farmer, was one of the 37 proprietors that established “The Westerly Meeting-House Company” on March 17, 1826 expressly to build the West Parish Church. 40 shares equaling $4000 were sold to start construction and Peter held one share. Peter was born Oct. 18, 1772, son of Joseph & Anna Shattuck. He married Susanna Clark on May 5, 1795. She also became a charter member of the church on Dec. 5, 1826. They had nine children; Susannah b. 1795 d. 1802, Peter Jr. b. 1797 d. 1831, Sukey b. 1799 d. ?, twins, Leonard b. 1803-1884 and Susannah b. 1803, Harriott b. 1805, Franklin b. 1808 and Charles b. 1815. Peter Sr. died on Dec. 9, 1855 and their youngest child Charles acquired the farm. Susanna was living with her son in 1860 and died on June 12, 1875.
Charles Shattuck was born May 21, 1815 and married on June 18, 1840 to Rosetta Hopkins born March 18, 1829. Charles joined West Parish Church, member #176, on May 6, 1832. He was active in church affairs, voted an Assessor from 1857-60 and was Moderator in 1861, 1864-66 and 1868. Rosetta joined #382 by letter on May 2, 1851. Charles held several occupations; Cordwainer (shoe maker) at the time of the birth their son Charles William 1843 but in the 1860 Census is listed a farmer. The 1870 Census locates the Shattucks in Nashua, NH where Charles is a boarding house keeper. Their two youngest children are with them. There are 48 women listed at the lodging house, all working in a cotton mill. They had four children. Frances Rosetta b. 1841, Charles William b. May 24, 1843, b. Fred Hopkins b. 1866 and Jennie T. b. 1859. Their oldest daughter Frances married Horace Philbrook Beard who was a highly respected Andover businessman, owner of a provisions store on Essex St. in 1855. He died young at 35 and was the first burial in Spring Grove Cemetery. For all of Horace’s success great tragedy followed his death. Their daughter Cordelia died at age 8 in 1875, their two sons Arthur age 11 and Horace Jr.10 died in a house fire. Frances was suspected of setting the fire. She would later attack her other daughter with a hatchet and was committed to an insane asylum in Maine. She died in June 1911 and is interred in the family lot in Spring Grove Cemetery.
Charles & Rosetta’s son Charles William Shattuck served in the Army during the Civil war. He died at age 41. Fred Hopkins moved to New York City and daughter Jennie T. married the Rev. Sidney K. Perkins. She was living in Springfield, MA at the time of her parents deaths and later relocated to York, Maine. Charles died on August 4, 1898 at the age of 83 and his wife died a few months later on Nov. 7, 1898 at when visiting her daughter in Springfield. They are interred in the family lot at West Parish Cemetery.
The Shattuck farm was sold in 1900 by the family and for the next 20 years several owners occupied or rented out the property. John W. Godin purchased it in 1905 and then purchased the adjoining property at # 243 in May 1911 moved his family next door and sold the Shattuck place in Dec. 1911 to Anthony & Johanna Hoegen.
In March 1922 The American Woolen Co. via William M. Wood purchased the farm as part of Wood’s plan to supply his new dream community Shawsheen Village with fresh milk, produce, and eggs. Several farms on Lowell St., Argilla and Lovejoy Roads were purchased. The Shattuck farm had been a poultry farm with large three story hen houses built to the rear of the barn. For many years turkeys were raised.
The last owners to work the farm were Bradford E. & Ruth P. Webb of Groveland, MA who purchased the property in October 1954. It was called Webb’s Turkey Farm and a former shed was converted into small retail shop. It was located on the left of the driveway about ten yards in from Lowell St. Webb sold to Dr. Richard Lindsey, a veterinarian, who divided the farm land up and built his Andover Animal Hospital. Lindsey then sold the farmhouse to Augustine “Gus” and Kathleen Sheehy in 1961 who did an extensive remodeling of the house and barn and converted part of the house to residential apartments. In 1983 Robert & Monica Costa purchased the property and lived here 22 years. Kenneth Construction Co. purchased in 2005 and began to update farmhouse and barn converting them into condominiums.
Peter Shattuck -
Benjamin Ames Jr. - Aug. 2, 1802 - b. 171 leaf 38 - 1/2 of the farm
Benjamin Ames Jr. - Aug. 29, 1805 - b. 176 leaf 235 1/2 of farm
Peter Shattuck estate - died Dec. 9, 1855 age 83
Thomas C. Foster
Charles Shattuck - b. 298 lf. 284 Salem deeds
Charles Shattuck, death - Aug. 4, 1898 - age 83
Charles Shattuck heirs; - Mar. 7, 1900 - b. 176 p. 424-426
Fred. H. Shattuck, Jennie T. Perkins, Frances R. Beard - 60 Acre home
Selivin A. Dodge, Guardian of Frances R. Beard’s 1/3 - 1 acre Little Hope lots
John M. & Mary Gallagher - Mar. 22, 1900 - b. 176 p. 424
John M. Gallagher estate - Mary A. Extrx.
John W. Godin - Aug. 15, 1905 - b. 223 p.415
Anthony & Johanna Hoegen - Dec. 21, 1911 - b. 313 p. 74
Mary E. Stevens - Jan. 1, 1913 - b. 325 p. 419
Fred Knowlton - Dec. 30, 1913 - b. 337 p. 294
Mary E. Clark, (John A. Clark) - July 22, 1914 - b. 344 p. 290
Gaetano Ferlito, Stefano Privetera & Domenico Ferlito - July 23, 1914 - b. 344 p. 292
Bagsasasar and Avedis Ozoonian - Jan. 29, 1916 - b. 361 p. 544
Bagdasasar Ozoonian - Feb. 3, 1921 - b. 436 p.490
American Woolen Company - Mar. 1, 1922 - b. 454 p. 478
Isaiah R. Kimball, C. Leroy Ambye
& Elizabeth McDonnell - May 5, 1930 - b. 552 p. 498
Nicholas J. & Margaret Barry - July 1, 1930 - b. 553 p. 406
Norman R. & Nada B. Morgan - July 15, 1936 - b. 599 p. 232 - 58.5 acres
Bradford E. & Ruth P. Webb - Oct. 7, 1954 - b. 800 p. 218
Richard D. Lindsey - July 12, 1961 - b. 940 p. 21
Augustine P. & Kathleen Sheehy - Nov. 30, 1962 - b. 974 p. 416
Kathleen C. Sheehy - May 10, 1966 - b. 1059 p. 398 - 4 lots
Robert S. & Monica M. Costa - Aug. 11, 1983 - b. 1707 p. 336
Kenneth Construction Co. - Feb. 26, 2005 - b. 9369 p31
George W. Ousler III - Feb. 26, 2005 - b. 9369 p31 - unit 5
Second parcel of two lots in Little Hope Meadow
Matthew Culley - Aug. 18, 1850 - b. 482 lf. 28 Salem Deeds
Charles Shattuck - June 1, 1854 - b. 176 p. 422 1 acre 2 lots in
Little Hope Meadow now named Baker’s Meadow Reservation – AVIS
See plans #2898 #4948, #4993 for land area changes – registry of deeds – Lawrence, MA
|Place||West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Shattuck Homestead|
|Present Use||Condo - residences|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||Barn and office shed|
|Major Alterations||Condo Conversion|
|Map and parcel||110-3|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 9/2014|