242-244 Andover Street

Architectural Description: 


Large "brackets" carry door hood over each entrance, original to the design of the home; gambrel roof
(same house form next door at 238-240)

Historical Narrative: 

Themes: architectural, community development, industry

The 1906 map of Ballardvale, MA shows only five houses on the north side of Andover Street beginning at the Mansion House, then #246, #250 #252 R and #264.

Built about 1907-1910 for employees of the Ballard Vale Mill Company. The gambrel roof two family home is identical to the duplex home next door at 238-240 (with exception of an added enclosed porch). This two family home remains "as built" with the two unusual entry roof awnings. Located between the Mansion House and South School with conservation land in back leading to Rec. Park and Pomp's Pond, the house sits on North side of Andover Street on land formerly of J. Putnam Bradlee (also formerly Marland).

Probably built by the Ballard Vale Mill Company, successor to J. Putnam Bradlee Manufacturing Co. The company-owned houses/duplexes were sold to their occupants individually over time. The property was purchased by the Ballardvale Mills Co. on Feb. 6, 1905 from William H. Hodgkins, Trustee to the J. Putnam Bradlee estate. This land was vacant at that time and was the easterly portion of Parcel one mentioned in the deeds to the company. The company rented out the apartments for twenty years then selling off their holdings in 1926.

George G. & Mildred H. Brown purchased this property on May 27, 1926. George Brown owned for 50 years. His wife Mildred H. Brown died on Jan. 14, 1970. George G. Brown Sr. died in 1976 and the estate was Probated by their son George G. Brown Jr. of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. The property was then placed into the Allen Trust, with Philip J. Coppola, Trustee on Apr. 2, 1976.

Robert A. Brown then acquired the property on Mar. 26, 1998 and placed it into the Robert A. Brown Revocable Trust on Jan. 5, 2006. Brown later sold to William P. Johnson, of High Vale Lane on Mar. 19, 2009. Johnson, a local developer converted the duplex into condominiums in Sept. 2009. Each unit was then sold off to separate individuals.


Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Northern Registry Essex County Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Historical Society Library files
Andover Directories 1890 - 1910
Andover Real Estate Valuation Listings 1890, 1900, 1910
Andover Historic Building Survey, Historical Commission, 1978
1994 Preservation award: Certificate for Exterior Preservation
Andover Townsman
Business History of Andover 1896
Andover, A Century of Change 1996
Plan of the Village of Ballard Vale – May 1848
Birdseye View of Ballardvale 1885
Plan of the property belonging to the estate of J. Putnam Bradlee, Andover, MA 1889”
Last will of J. Putnam Bradlee, late of Boston, Suffolk County allowed February 28, 1887
Plan Map #3070 - July 11, 1955 - C. Lincoln Giles - lot F.

Ballard Vale Mill Co. - 1836 - 1866
Capt. J. Putnam Bradlee - 1866 - 1887 - b. 218 p. 240-41 Estate
J. Putnam Bradlee estate, William H. Hodgkins, Trustee - Feb. 28, 1887 - Probate
Ballardvale Mills Co. - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 238 - Marland Lot, Mill Lot, Pasture lot, parcel #1
George G. & Mildred H. Brown - May 27, 1926 - b. 522 p. 466
Mildred H. Brown estate, George G. Brown Sr. heir - Jan. 14, 1970
George G. Brown Sr. estate, George G. Brown Jr. Extr. - 1976 - Probate
Allen Trust, Philip J. Coppola, Trustee - Apr. 2, 1976 - b. 1279 p. 7
Robert A. Brown - Mar. 26, 1998 - b. 5019 p. 91
Robert A. Brown Revocable Trust - Jan. 5, 2006 - b. 10021 p. 80
Robert A. Brown Revocable Trust, Robert A. Brown, Manuel F. Rabbitt - Mar. 19, 2007 - b. 10677 p. 317
William P. Johnson - Mar. 19, 2009 - b. 11502 p. 332
Fay Homes, LLC - May 12, 2009 - b. 11539 p. 39
242 - 244 Andover St. Condominiums - Sept. 25, 2009 - b. 11777 p. 99
William C. & Anne K. Nason - b. 11786 p. 15 - #242 Unit 1
Shujia Dai & Xianjun Chen - b. 12141 p. 181 - #244 Unit 2

Inventory Data:

StreetAndover St
Historic DistrictBallardvale Local Historic District
Historic NameBallardvale Mills Worker Housing
Present Useresidence - duplex condominiums
Original Useresidence for mill employees
Construction Dateca. 1906 - 1910
SourceECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs
Architectural StyleOther
Architect/BuilderBallard Vale Mills
Roofasphalt - gambrel
Outbuildings / Secondary Structuressmall garage in back of house
Major Alterationsshed (1967), Condo conversion 2009
Acreage0.427 acre; 18.600 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 179'
Map and parcel117-7
MHC NumberANV.39
Recorded byStack/Mofford; Benice Haggerty (Ballardvale Historic district Commission) James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77; Feb 1996, 12/6/2016