Sawn bracketing; wood frame; steam & auto. heat
Themes: Architectural & Community Development
Building marker 1993
This property was once part of a 60 acre parcel that extended from the Shawsheen River on the west, to Pomps Pond to the north and to the east side of the old Andover - Wilmington Railroad to the east then along the north side of Andover St. The large parcel was purchased from the Boston Savings Bank by Joseph Tachauder for $2200, on July 1, 1889. Joseph and his wife Leodpldiena, would live in the home to the rear of this property.
Joseph sold this lot to Emil K. Hofmann for $250. on July 19, 1891. Hofmann had the home built shortly thereafter. Emil Karl Freiderick Hofmann was born in Dresden, Saxony, Germany on Jan. 10, 1856. Emil immigrated to America in 1874 arriving in New York City on April 23. He would marry Clara Cecilia Cominsky in 1878. Emil & Clara had five children, of which three would survive to adulthood. Children; Harriette, b. 1878 in CT, Herney b. July 1879 CT, Carl b. ____, Edith b. May 1885 at Ballardvale, and Arthur Martin b. May 22, 1890.
Emil joined the St. Matthews Lodge of Masons in Andover on Mar. 7, 1892. His full name, birth place and occupation as a "Bronze worker" are listed on his membership card. Emil became a Naturalized Citizen on May 11, 1888. His two witnesses were Henry Isler and Joseph Kintz of Andover. We conclude from the information that he first worked for Craighead & Kintz Manufacturing Co. in Ballardvale, makers of bronze lamps and decorative items.. The factory was completely destroyed by fire in 1898.
Emil later lists his job as Machinist electrician in the Ballard Vale Mills. The Hofmann family owned the property for 64 years. Clara C. died in the 1930's and Emil on Jan 27, (28) 1938. Emil is interred at Spring Grove Cemetery. Their son Arthur M. married twice, first to Claudia F. Littlewood on June 28, 1911. Claudia was b. 1893 in Oxford, MA, dau. of Harry & Annie (Robinson) Littlewood. The marriage does not seem to have lasted as Arthur later remarries Ida E. b. 1895. Emil sells the home to Ida E. Hofmann on June 19, 1934. Arthur and Ida lived off Woburn St. near Foster's Pond but later occupied this home. Arthur died on August (11?) 1952. Ida E. Hofmann died Jan. 19, 1954 and is also interred at Spring Grove Cemetery.
Ida's estate was probated and the property then went to Charles H. Murnane. He and his wife Antonina took ownership on September 7, 1955. The Murnane family owned for 60 years then selling to Jayne E. & Mark S. Farnham on Nov. 3, 2015.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Street Directories
Directories: 1897-1926: Emil and Clara Hoffman, machinist at B.V. Mills
Ancestry.com - Hofmann family
George J. Tenney & Samuel Little - land
George W. & Elizabeth Ryley - Dec. 15, 1864 - b. 679 leaf 75 - two parcels
Ella R. & Josiah B. Anderson - July 28, 1875 - b. 36 p. 35 -
Anderson to Boston Savings Bank - July 28, 1875 - b. 36 p. 330 - mtg.
Boston Savings Bank - Mar. 7, 1878 - b. 50 p. 239 - possession
Joseph Tachauder - July 1, 1889 - b. 102 p. 341 - $2200 - 60 acres
Emil K. Hofmann, wife Clara - July 7, 1891 - b. 113 p. 469
Ida E. Hofmann - June 19, 1934 - b. 579 p. 45
Ida E. Hofmann estate - died Jan. 17, 1954 - Probate
Charles H. Murnane - Sept. 7, 1955 - b. 819 p. 389
Charles H. & Antonia J. Murnane - Sept. 7, 1955 - b. 819 p. 389
Antonia J. Murnane estate, Charles H. Murnane
Charles H. Murnane Jr. & Martha Elizabeth Murnane - Aug. 30, 1976 - b. 1290 p. 370
Martha Elizabeth Murnane estate, Charles H. Munnane Jr. - July 6, 1994 -
Charles H. Murnane Jr., Charles Murnane, Jennie L. Whittaker, Patrick Murnane - Sept. 6, 2006 - b. 10570 p. 4
Jayne E. & Mark S. Farnham - Nov. 3, 2015 - b. 14436 p. 102
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Hofmann - Murnane House|
|Construction Date||1891 - 1892|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||small garage|
|Acreage||0.276 acre; 12,021 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 104'|
|Map and parcel||117-8|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford; Bernice Haggerty (Ballardvale Historic District Commission) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77; Feb 1996, 12/1/2016|