25-27 Essex Street

Architectural Description: 

Handsome double house with Queen Anne elements. Deep bracketed eaves, fish scale shingles and clapboard siding break up the two story bays flanking the front entrances. Varied roof styles on dormers
and decorative panel between center second story windows add to the elegance of this period multifamily apartment building. The brick flanking the entrance and the wrought iron posts are a 1970's misguided addition.

Historical Narrative: 

Themes - Architectural and Community development.
This lot was once a part of the Jacob Chickering homestead property on Essex Street which included lots #29, #31- #33 and #35. The property was about ¾ acre with 178’ 9” frontage on Essex St. Jacob Chickering was a master carpenter and house wright. Many homes including #28 and #34 Essex St. and in town were constructed by Chickering. He later turned his talent to piano construction building his factory between Essex St. & Pearson Streets. Here he manufactured the cases for the Chickering pianos which were then sent to his Boston shop to be fitted with the internal mechanisms. Jacob b. Aug. 2, 1806 married Sarah Jane McMurphy b. Aug. 7, 1810. They had six children. Milton 1838–1894, Emily 1840-1897, Augusta 1842-1845, Caroline 1844-1853, Otis 1846-1909 and Samuel 1849-1897. Jacob died on March 31, 1887 and the homestead was inherited by his wife Sarah Jane and their remaining four children. The property was quit claimed to their mother Sarah in Dec. 1887. Sarah died on March 26, 1893 and they property went to the remaining children. Otis purchased the property on Nov. 26, 1897 for $2750. from the Chickering estate and also by Will of his brother Samuel who died March 18, 1897. Otis and Samuel had shared the house and property together.
Otis Chickering divided up the homestead lot selling off three parcels, #29 to Margaret English and #31-#33 to Eliza Connolly in April 1901. He then sold this lot to Timothy Hickey on May 1, 1901 for $800 which included the brick buildings thereon. He did however remove an arbor on the property which he stated was his to do so. It was Hickey who built this handsome apartment building.
Today the multi-family house has 24 rooms, contains six apartments, 6 bedrooms and baths. The lot contains 0.185 acre. Many of the first tenants were employed with Smith and Dove Manufacturing Co. and Tyer Rubber Co. both within walking distance.


Jacob Chickering – May 18, 1872 – b. 14 p. 528 mtg. ASB, $2000. Present Homestead lot.
Sarah Jane Chickering – Dec. 31, 1887 – b. 94 p. 371
Sarah Jane Chickering Estate – Feb. 21, 1896 – b. 145 p. 112 release died 1893
Otis Chickering – Nov. 26, 1897 – b. 160 p. 228 – Jacob Chickering Homestead land
Timothy Hickey – May 1, 1901 – 184 p. 221 – with brick buildings
Julia Hickey – Jan. 30, 1930 – b. 184 p. 221
William J. & Helen Young – Feb. 18, 1944 – b. 662 p 497
Esther M. Dietrich - Oct. 14, 1959 – b. 903 p. 302
William J. & Flora H. Young – Oct. 14, 1959 – b. 903 p. 304
William H. & Catherine D. Caverly – May 4, 1961 – b. 935 p. 382
Donald & Barbara Richmond – Apr. 10, 1962 – b. 955 p. 405
Arco Properties LLC – June 26, 2007 – b. 10810 p. 155

Essex Registry of Deeds, Salem
Essex Northern Registry of Deeds, Lawrence

Inventory Data:

StreetEssex St
PlaceAndover Center
Historic DistrictNot Applicable
Present Useresidence - apartments
Original Useresidence
Construction Date1900
Sourcesyle - njs
Architectural StyleQueen Anne
Foundationstone & granite
Wall/Trimclapboards and shingles
Major AlterationsMain entrance way redone in 1970s
Acreageless than one acre; 8,050 sq. ft. with 63' approximate frontage
Map and parcel55-65
MHC NumberANV.191
Recorded byStack/Mofford, James Batchelder
OrganizationAndover Preservation Commission
Date entered1975-77, updated 2/2014