The gambrel roofed home is referred to as a Dutch Colonial
Boston Road has had several names through the years including, Old County Rd (1915), Foster’s Pond Rd. 1930-1935, Old Boston Road and then Boston Rd. by 1937. Deeds can be confusing at first and street directories misleading as we now have a County Rd and Foster’s Pond Rd adjoining Boston Rd. What appears as a move to another street is actually a street name change. Andover Valuation Schedule add to the issue by listing the road as Main St. This area is in the South District in the Valuation lists and within the Scotland School District from 1785-1902. Only one house is listed on the road in 1906 at #5. With development came an influx of French Canadians who purchased lots on Boston Rd. It was sometimes referred to as “Frenchville” by locals.
This property was once owned by Rufus Caldwell and was part of his 75 acre farm. His house was located east of Boston Rd. between So. Main St. His estate was auctioned off after his death in October 1891. The property was purchased by Brooks F. Holt for $1500. Brooks F. home was on South Main St. and he was an Ice Dealer in town. Brooks later sold his business and began selling off parcels of the former Caldwell farm.
Brooks Holt sold several parcels of land to Peter Peters and his wife Mary. The first lot from Holt was purchased by Peter on April 20, 1916. Mary Peters had purchased two lots from Eleanor Fairbrother one on July 24, 1912 and the second on Nov. 20, 1913. These two appear to be lot 48 on Fairbrothers development plan #147 in Sept. 1911 now #25 Boston Rd. Fairbrother purchased 16 acres from William P. Shattuck on March 29, 1902 which extended from Main St to Boston Rd. The land was parceled out for house lots with three new streets but never materialized into a neighborhood sub-division.
Mary Peters was deeded some of her husband's property until she held five parcels in one deed. Mary sold to Taher H. & Pauline G. Davis on Apr. 13, 1931. Taher took a mortgage with the Merrimack Co-op Bank. The Depression must have impacted the Davis family as they lost the property to the bank in 1932.
Robert K. & Alice Ross then bought the property at auction in 1935 only to loose it to foreclosure in 1940. They were able to recover the property in 1944 and then sold it to Joseph F. & Catherine Perry on Jan. 17, 1944
The Perry family owned for 21 years then selling to Arthur W. & Bertha Richards on June 9, 1965. Richards held four years then sold to John R. & Susan J. Gallant. Gallants also owned four years then selling to Douglas R. & Mary R. Morton on April 19, 1973. John & Caroline Pray purchased on Oct. 26, 1976.
Current owners Kenneth G. & Nancy Eulie bought on June 28, 1988.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Map plan - #7516 - Oct. 1976 - Douglas & Mary Morton
Rufus Caldwell estate, Albert W. Caldwell Adm. - June 1, 1891 - Probate
Brooks F. Holt - Nov. 9, 1891 - b. 116 p. 41
Peter Peters, wife Mary - April 20, 1916 - b. 363 p. 174
Mary Peters - April 20, 1916 - b. 373 p. 174 - 3/4 acre lot #4
Mary Peters - Feb. 9, 1917 - b. 373 p. 577 - 1 acre lot #1
Mary Peters - Apr. 21, 1917 - b. 376 p. 66 - 1 acre lot #2
Mary Peters - June 17, 1918 - b. 393 p. 541 - 1 3/4 acres - lot #3
Mary Peters from Eleanor Fairbrother - July 24, 1912 - b. 319 p. 98 Parcel 1
Mary Peters from Eleanor Fairbrother - Nov. 20, 1913 - b. 336 p. 98 Parcel 1
Taher G. & Pauline G. Davis - Apr. 13, 1931 - b. 558 p. 205
Merrimack Coop Bank - Jan. 12, 1932 - b. 562 p. 545 - possession - 6 parcels
Merrimack Coop Bank - Apr. 22, 1935 - b. 588 p. 278 mtg. sale
Robert K. & Alice Ross - Sept. 24, 1935 - b. 593 p. 83 - 5 parcels
Merrimack Coop Bank - Mar. 4, 1940 - b. 629 p. 420 - poss.
Robert K. & Alice Ross 0 Jan. 17, 1944 - b. 636 p. 456
Joseph F. & Catherine M. Perry - Jan. 17, 1944 - b. 662 p. 282
Arthur W. & Bertha E. Richards - June 9, 1965 - b. 1035 p. 246
John R. & Susan J. Gallant - Jan. 3, 1969 - b. 1122 p. 328
Douglas R. & Mary Morton - Apr. 19, 1973 - b. 1216 p. 690
John E. & Carolyn J. Pray - Oct. 26, 1976 - b. 1294 p. 710
Carolyn J. Pray - June 7, 1978 - b. 1346 p. 55
Kenneth G. & Nancy Eulie - June 28, 1988 - b. 2757 p. 140
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Davis - Ross - Perry House|
|Construction Date||1916 - 1920|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows, vinyl siding, and addition to side porch|
|Acreage||0.75758 acre, 38000 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||83-59|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||01/30/2006, 4/27/2018|