Themes: Architectural, community development.
This property was owned by Bimsley Stevens, b. July 20, 1805 in Andover, MA, son of Simeon Jr. & Sarah "Sally" (Mansor) Stevens. He married at West Parish Church on Oct. 21, 1830 to Mary Butler Noyes, b. Jan. 1, 1810 Andover, daughter of Frederick & Hannah Noyes. Bimsley and Mary had four children of which only one seems to have survived to adulthood. Children; Bimsley Otis b. Oct. 31, 1831 d. Nov. 1, 1846 age 15 of Typhus fever, Mary Augusta b. Jan. 27, 1834 d. Jan. 3, 1847 age 13y Typhus fever, Hannah Varnum b. July 4, 1836 married George Fielding d. 1870, and Warren Dec. 31, 1838. AVR lists a child b. Dec. 31, 1838 died Jan. 1, 1839 1 day. This could be a twin or Warren. There is no burial record for Warren at West Parish Garden Cemetery nor an infant.
Mary Stevens died on July 28, 1848 of consumption. In the 1850 Andover Valuation record a D. Saunders, guardian of Bimsley Stevens lists a dwelling house and shed on 2 adjoining acres at $1400. and a 4 1/2 acre pasture. It appears that the property was rented out for income as Bimsley is living on South Broadway in Lawrence, MA with Samuel & Betsey Poor in the State census 1865. Bimsley died on on Dec. 30, 1881 and is interred at West Parish Cemetery next to family members.
Joseph Rice was the guardian of Bimsley Stevens estate on Dec. 30, 1865 and through a George H. Stevens, the property was sold to Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. on Dec. 21, 1865. At this time the Smith & Dove Co. were shifting their operations of linen thread and yarns production to Abbott Village but the original factories in Frye Village remained in operation until about 1890. The house was used as operative housing.
Smith & Dove sold to George H. Carlisle on May 31, 1907. Carlisle purchased several properties in Frye Village at this time but sold this home to Amy F. (Battles) Trow on Aug. 10, 1907. Amy was born in the house next door at 31 Lowell St. She inherited her home, married William A. Trow in 1899 and lived at 31 Lowell St. Amy then sold the home to Frances G. Lamont on Apr. 3, 1908.
Frances G. was the wife of Walter M. Lamont and on Jan. 3, 1923 the property was placed in both names.
Walter M. died on Oct. 6, 1945. Frances would sell two years later after 37 years of ownership.
Harold M. & Emily Allen purchased the home on Oct. 2, 1947. Sadly Harold M. Allen died the following year on July 3, 1949 and then sold to Paul J. & Rosemary Saccareccio on July 10, 1950. The Saccareccio family owned the property for 57 years then sold to the current owners of record in 2007.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover maps, 1830, 1852, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Bimsley & Mary B. Stevens - 1850
Joseph Rice, guardian of Bimsley Stevens - Dec. 30, 1865 - b. 695 leaf 289 Salem, MA
George H. Stevens -
Smith & Dove Manufacturing Co. - Dec. 21, 1865 - b. 695 leaf 285
George H. Carlisle - May 31, 1907 - b. 250 p. 543
Amy F. Trow - Aug. 10, 1907 - b. 250 p. 226
Frances G. Lamont - Apr. 3, 1908 - b. 259 p. 528
Walter M. & Frances L. Lamont - Jan. 3, 1923 - b. 471 p. 193
Walter M. Lamont estate, Frances L. Lamont heir - Oct. 6, 1945
Harold M. & Emily Allen - Oct. 2, 1947 - b. 703 p. 244
Harold M. Allen estate, Emily heir - July 3, 1949
Paul J. & Rosemary Saccareccio -July 10, 1950 - b. 738 p. 474
Paul J. Saccareccio estate, Rosemary heir - Aug. 10, 1990 -
R. J. Saccareccio Realty Trust, Paul S. jr. Trustee, May 2, 2005 - b. 9524 p. 253
Russell J. & Kristen Hayes - Mar. 7, 2007 - b. 10658 p. 277
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Bimsley Stevens - Lamont House|
|Construction Date||1830 - 1840's|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage at rear|
|Major Alterations||Vinyl siding, replacement windows and porch columns, mask the original lines of the house. East side bay window|
|Acreage||1.65 acres,approximate frontage 119'.|
|Map and parcel||52-83|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 02/21/2006, 5/25/2015|