This property, numbered Lot #27 on plan of land of John Marland and John (Jonathan) Howe Jr. dated 1847 as recorded by Registry of Deeds, Salem, MA. Plan 386 leaf 300. Marland & Howe of the Marland Mill in Ballardvale auctioned off the building lots in the center of the village on Wednesday, July 28, 1847. The auctioneers were Loring, Abbot and Porter of Boston.
This lot was purchased from John Howe Jr. by James Shackelton of Lawrence, MA for $126.95. and recorded on Nov. 23, 1848 in book 441 leaf 246 of the Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA. The lot is located on the corner of NE corner of Tewksbury and Center Streets. Shackelton owned the parcel of 19 years then selling to Victor G. Gingas of Lawrence on June 8, 1867 for $197.47. The deed is recorded in the first book of the Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence on Nov. 9, 1869 book 1 page 476. Gingas owned the lot for 44 years.
James J. Bonner purchased the parcel on July 26, 1911 and held it for 35 years. James Bonner failed to pay taxes on the lot in 1945 and the Town of Andover then proceeded with a tax lien on the parcel. The town eventually took the property for back taxes on Feb. 3, 1949. AN attempt to auction off the lot on 1958 failed to receive an adequate bid.
The Town of Andover continues as owner of record in 2016.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser, Andover Townsman
Andover Historical Society files
John Marland & John Howe Jr. - 1847
John Howe Jr. - 1847
James Shackelton - Nov. 23, 1848 - b. 411 leaf 246
Victor G. Gingas - June 8, 1867 - b. 1 p. 476
Lames J. Bonner - July 26, 1911 - b. 306 p. 553
James J. Bonner Dec. 21, 1946 - b. 693 p. 272 - Tax taking
Town of Andover - Feb. 3, 1949 - b. 720 p. 236
Vincent Bonner, Leominster, MA - Dec. 28, 1953 - b. 786 p. 58
Town of Andover - Dec. 1, 1958 - b. 884 p. 268
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic District||Ballardvale National Register District|
|Historic Name||John Shackelton lot #27|
|Present Use||vacant lot|
|Original Use||vacant lot|
|Acreage||0.125 acre, 5451 sq. ft.|
|Map and parcel||157-32|
|Recorded by||Ruth A. Sharpe (BallardvaleHistoric District) James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||Jun 1997, 8/7/2016|