Craftsman - Four square, hip roof with single dormer, front porch extends across front facade.
#25 Washington Ave -21-72 -
Washington Ave. was constructed in 1889 and named on the Centennial of George Washington’s visit to Andover in 1789. Constructed over farm land of Charles O. Cummings, house lots were then sold off to residents and developers. By 1906 eighteen new homes had been built. Interesting to note that five new owners, Tyler, Lewis, Gray, Stiles and Caldwell were House Carpenters and Cummings and Wardwell were developers at each end of the avenue.
Aug. 30, 1889 Andover Townsman p. 4 - The new street, Washington Ave. is progressing rapidly, and from all appearances it is likely to be a good piece of road. The ledge at the Elm Street end had been blasted sufficiently, and the men are now engaged cutting down the ground above the grad and filling in the lower places. Quite a piece stretching from Summer Street is ready for the finishing touches.
October 25, 1889 AT – The new street Washington Ave. is beginning to look like a very good piece of road. The top dressing of red spring gravel is being put on.
Nov. 1, 1889 p.1 AT Commissioner Hayward has finished putting the top coat of Red Spring gravel on Washington Ave. and one sidewalk has been made the entire length.
The property was once part of the Charles O. Cummings farm at 105 Elm St. Cummings sold this lot to Adele S. Hutchinson of Minneapolis, MN on Jan. 15, 1897. The lot remained vacant during her ownership and was purchased by Barnett Rogers, a Real Estate agent in Andover, for the estate.
Four months later Rogers sold the lot to John E. Pitman, house carpenter and developer in Andover. Pitman also built #7-#9 and #21 Washington Ave. Samuel Renny Harris purchased the new home on April 5, 1918. Harris had been renting the home at #19 in 1916.
Samuel Harris was born in Arbroath, Scotland on May 18, 1875, son of Robert & Catherine (Smith) Harris. He came to America in 1894, married on Nov. 11, 1896 at South Church to Lily Low Reid (Reed) b. Nov. 23, 1877 in Arbroath, dau. of Alexander & Eliz (Edwards) Reed (Reid). Samuel first worked as a master machinist for Tyer Rubber Co. on North Main St. Later he was employed at Hamblet Machine Co. in Lawrence. He traveled extensively in the US and Canada setting up paper mill machinery for the firm. Sam & Lily would have four children: Norman Edward Smith b. Oct. 16, 1897, Alexina R. b. Sept. 1898 in Arbroath, Alfred Renny b. Nov. 6, 1901 and Lily Reid b. May 13, 1907.
The family traveled back to Scotland after Norman was born as Samuel became a member of the Panmure Lodge #299 Masons in Arbroath in 1899. Lily gave birth to Alexina there and returned to Andover in May 1900 at Boston on the S.S. Peruvian with her mother Eliza Reid 55y a nurse, Norman 2y 8m, and Alexina R. 8 months old.
Sam was a member of Free Church, a charter member of the Clan Johnson O.S.C., and past chief, Member of St. Mathews Lodge A.F. & A.M. and Garfield Lodge Knights of Pythias. Samuel died on Jan 6, 1931 and is interred in Spring Grove Cemetery. Widow Lily would remain in their home and in 1937 deeded the property to their son Alfred and wife Mary (Caldwell) b. 1900 in Scotland. Alfred was a monotype printer for the Andover Press, publishers of the Andover Townsman for 40 years. His sister Alexina was also a monotype printer there when she met her husband Kenneth Mazeen, a monotype printer.
Alfred and Mary had one son Alfred G. born in 1926. Alfred died Aug. 30, 1959. Alfred was active member of Free Church, Clan Johnson and also a Mason. Mary deeded the property to her son Alfred who lived in New Canaan, CT. The house was then sold to Bernard F. & Brenda L. Magane on May 16, 1960. Lily Harris died in 1964.
Northern Essex Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Valuation Schedule
Ancestry.com - Harris family
Charles O. Cummings
Adele S. Hutchison of Minneapolis, MN – Jan. 15, 1897 – b. 152 p. 445 lot
Adele S. Hutchison estate, Emma Franc Whitmore heir – Dec. 1915 – probate
Barnett Rogers – Dec. 15, 1915 – b. 360 p. 56 – lot
John E. Pitman – Apr. 5, 1916 – b. 362 p. 116 - lot
Samuel R. & Lily L. Harris – Aug. 26, 1918 – b. 390 p. 528 w/blds
Samuel Renny Harris estate, Lily L. heir – Sept. 9, 1937 probate
Alfred T & Mary C. Harris – Sept. 15, 1937 – b. 610 p. 538
Alfred T Harris estate, Mary C. heir – d. Aug. 30, 1959
Alfred G. Harris – Sept. 28, 1959 – b. 913 p. 288
Bernard F. & Brenda L. Magane – May 16, 1960 – b. 914 p. 474
John B. & Marilyn M. Fitzgerald – Nov. 28, 1966 – b. 1072 p. 463
Marilyn M. Fitzgerald - Jun. 29, 1987 b. 2533 p.155
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Samuel R. & Lily L. Harris House|
|Source||ERDS, NERDL, style,|
|Architect/Builder||John E. Pitman / builder|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Map and parcel||21-72|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||28 Feb 1980, 2/1/2020|