2-story bay window; pierced gable screen; pedimented entry porch; 2 1/2 story rear ell
Themes: architectural, community development
The home pictured, built in 1989, replaced the former mid 19th century farmhouse that once stood at this location.
259 Chandler Road - Cuttle - Disbrow house
This property was once owned by J. T. G. McCurdy who sold the land with buildings to Daniel White on May 9, 1860. White then sold to Sarah F. Hanson of Lawrence, MA for $3820. John M. Hanson acquired the farm on Sept. 19, 1870. Both John M and Sylvester W. Hanson then held the property jointly for about seven years before selling to Martha A. Bennett on June 1, 1877 for $3600.
Martha Bennett held ownership for five years then sold to John H. Brown for $3500. on Aug. 10, 1882. Brown then sells to Jennie Cuttle for $3800. Cuttle and related family would remain owners of the farm for the next 100 years.
Jennie (Neilson) Cuttle was born in August 1851 in Connecticut, daughter of John & Mary Neilson, of Scotland. Her family came to America and settled in Philadelphia, PA. Jennie Neilson married, about 1871, to George Smith Cuttle, born in Rastrick, Yorkshire, England on Dec. 31, 1846. George was the son of Joshua & Mary (Smith) Cuttle. George immigrated to America in 1870. He was a Dyer in a wool mill, the same profession of his father.
They had seven children of which four survived to adulthood; Infant Cuttle b. Jan. 1873 d. Jan 21, 1873 in Philadelphia, Joshua b. Nov. 29, 1876, Mary (May) Harper b. Jan. 1879 in Lowell, MA, Walter Hamilet b. Jan. 19, 1880, Susan Jane b. Dec. 10, 1884 – d. Nov. 6, 1889 in Andover, and William M. b. Aug. 1889 in Andover.
In 1880 the Cuttle family was living in Dracut then moved to Lawrence before purchasing the farm on Chandler Road in August 1882. The homestead lot comprised about 26 acres. Husband George acquired three additional parcels of land; two from Susan E. Abbott, in 1898 and 1901 increasing the farm to 80.4 acres. The farm included all the land within the Chandler Rd., River Rd. and Brundrett Ave triangle. Additional land across the street from the homestead on Chandler Rd, 10 acres on the east side of Brundrett and a small 2 acre parcel on the north side of River Rd.
By 1910 George & Jennie had moved to Union, NJ with their sons. Their daughter Mary (or May), had married George W. Disbrow, b. Jan. 17, 1877 in So. Amboy, NJ, son of Isaiah & Ellen (Applegate) Disbrow. Mary & George Disbrow remained on the Andover farm. They had three children; daughter Myrtle b. 1904 in NJ, Walter Applegate b. Oct. 28, 1906 in Andover and Herbert Earl b. Apr. 10, 1909.
George S. Cuttle died on Apr.2, 1918 in Philadelphia and was interred at Ivy Hill Cemetery in Philadelphia. Jennie N. Cuttle became sole heir to her husband’s estate and the farm in Andover. On her death on Nov. 3, 1928 her four children inherit the estate.
Daughter Mary H. Disbrow purchased the Andover farm from her brothers for $3500. in July 1930. Sadly Mary H. died four years later on Sept. 28, 1934. Her estate went to husband George and her children. Walter & Herbert quit claimed the property to their father on Oct. 15, 1935. George died on Oct. 30, 1944 and the children become sole heirs to the property. Daughter Myrtle married Robert McQuestion but died on July 16, 1943 at age 39y. Her children quit claimed the property to their uncles Walter & Herbert Disbrow on Nov. 28, 1949.
Walter and Herbert shared the property with their families. Walter Applegate Disbrow married Annie Gunter b. Oct. 11, 1912 in Methuen, daughter of George & Emma (Atack) Gunter.
Herbert Earl Disbrow married Alice Pickles, b. Nov. 9, 1909, daughter of Joseph Henry & Lilly (Hopkinson) Pickles. Herbert died in 1960. Wife Alice later re-married to an Edmunds. Alice died in 1977.
Walter & Annie Disbrow then held ownership of the farm. The farm land on the homestead lot was parceled off into fifteen house lots along Brundrett Ave in 1978. Walter died on June 26, 1982. His wife Annie then sold the remaining Disbrow farm to McIassac Associates, Inc. on Jan. 1, 1988. Daughters of Herbert, Shirley (Disbrow) Hathaway and Lilly (Disbrow) Townsend also sell their share of the property to Arthur W. Gauthier on Dec. 23, 1987 which included the Disbrow homestead. The former Cuttle-Disbrow home was razed about 1989 and replaced with the current home in 1990. The Disbrow family and some of the Cuttle family share a family plot in the West Parish Garden Cemetery, in Andover, MA.
James C. & Faith E. Dudley purchased the new home on the former site of the farmhouse on Aug. 17, 1990. Dudley then sold to Harold N. & Marcy H. Fox on Cot. 19, 1993.
Essex Country Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
See Maps; # 812 Cuttle estate 1929, #7860 sub division May 15, 1978 and #11427
J. T. G. McCurdy - 1860
Daniel White - May 9, 1860 - b. 669 leaf 49 - Salem deed
Sarah F. Hanson, John M. Hanson - Sept. 19, 1870 - b. 6 p. 178
John M. Hanson & Sylvester W. Hanson - Sept. 19, 1870 - b. 6 p. 178
Martha A. Bennett - June 1, 1877 - b. 46 p. 443
John H. Brown - Aug. 10, 1882 - b. 68 p. 598
Jennie Cuttle, wife of George S. - Aug. 11, 1882 - b. 69 p. 3 - 26 acres
Jennie Cuttle, estate, - died Nov. 3, 1928 - Philadelphia, PA
Mary (Cuttle) Disbrow - Heir - 1928
Mary C. Disbrow estate, Wm. N. Cuttle, Extr. - July 31, 1930 - b. 553 p. 538
George W. Disbrow - Oct. 15, 1935 - b. 593 p. 160
Walter A. Disbrow, Herbert E. Disbrow, Myrtle D. McQuestion - Oct. 15, 1935 - b. 593 p. 160
Walter A. Disbrow & Herbert E. Disbrow - Nov. 28, 1949 - b. 730 p. 147
Walter A. Disbrow -b. 1084 p. 267 - 269
Walter A. Disbrow estate, Annie Disbrow, Admx. - Apr. 13, 1988 - b. 2708 p. 181
Shirley D. Hathaway & Lilly D. Townsend - Dec. 23, 1987 - b.2708 p. 175
Arthur W. Gauthier - Apr. 13, 1988 - b. 2708 p. 175
James C. & Faith E. Dudley - Aug. 17, 1990 b. 3149 p. 185
Harold N. & Marcy H. (Tamnenbaum) - Fox - Oct. 19, 1993 - b. 3862 p. 126
McIssac Associates, Inc. Jan 1, 1988 - b. 2708 p. 177
|Place||Abbott District - West Parish - West Andover|
|Historic District||Not Applicable|
|Historic Name||Cuttle - Disbrow house|
|Original Use||residence - 2 family farmhouse|
|Construction Date||1850 - 1860|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Foundation||stone & granite|
|Wall/Trim||clapboards/asbestos shingle covering|
|Roof||gable - asphalt|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||small barn & shed west of house|
|Major Alterations||siding (mid 20th c.)|
|Acreage||1.53 acres; Map 189, Parcel 1; approx. frontage 150'; approx. distance from street 50'|
|Map and parcel||189-1|
|Recorded by||W. Frontiero, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservatioin Commission|
|Date entered||2/25/80, May 8, 2015|