Themes: Architectural, Community Development and Religion
Pearson Street was named for the Rev. Eliphalet Pearson, L.L., D born 1752 in Byfield, Newbury, MA, graduate of Harvard in 1773, taught at Andover Grammar School in 1774, first Principal of Phillips Academy 1778-1786. In 1806 he helped found the Andover Theological Seminary. Pearson moved to Harvard, MA in 1820 and died on Sept. 12, 1826. It should be noted that the B&M Railroad had not yet been built, opened in 1848., but the Andover - Wilmington Railroad line 1838-1848 did cross on the upper east end of Pearson Street.
The property at this end of Pearson St. was once owned by Eliphalet Pearson. Pearson's land in Andover was sold by Trustees of his estate, Ephraim Abbot and Stephen Gardner, to Joshua Ward of Salem, MA on Dec. 25, 1830 for $1267. Ward purchased five parcels along Pearson St. and Essex St. in house lot parcels from the estate. The deed was recorded on Feb. 26, 1835.
Lots #10 & #11 here on the south side of Pearson St. were part of the third parcel on land. Lots #2 and #3 to the rear on Essex St. were in the first parcel. Joshua Ward began sell off house lots on March 3, 1835. Ward sold lots 10 - 11 and 2 to Jeremiah Goldsmith Jr. and Stephen Lovejoy on April 28, 1845. Ward drew a map plan on the back of the deeds showing nine lots with the owners names. (see b. 260 leaf 144)
Goldsmith & Lovejoy then sold lots 10 & 11 on Pearson St. to John Bailey. Bailey had purchased a third parcel from Jacob Chickering on Nov. 15, 1844 for $475. Both Bailey deeds were recorded on Nov. 28, 1845.
John Bailey built the house and was the owner of the property. In the 1850 Valuation Abstract of South Parish John Bailey had a dwelling house and 1/2 acre house lot valued at $600. Bailey sells the property for $2000, with buildings, to Patrick Hannon on Jan. 2, 1851. Hannon paid $600 and Bailey held the remaining mortgage which was paid on Feb. 1, 1858.
Patrick J. Hannon, Sr. and wife Bridget (Devlin) Hannon were Irish immigrants. Patrick was a laborer. They had 12 children; Twins Katherine & Mary Ann b. Feb. 24, 1851, Margaret b. Mar. 3, 1853, John b. Aug. 19, 1854, Bridget b. 1857, Johanna b. Nov. 2, 1858, Michael Ambrose b. 1859, twins Daniel & Sarah J. b. Oct. 5, 1860, Patrick J. Jr. b. Oct. 1863 and Josiah Peter b. June 13, 1866. Their son Patrick Hannon Jr. was a tailor and had his shop on Main St. Patrick died in 1889 and the estate went to his wife Bridget and their children. Catherine O'Connell, Ann Nolan, Margaret Higgins, John E. Hannon, Michael Hannon, Sarah Hannon, Patrick Hannon who quit claimed the deed to their mother Bridget on June 13, 1889. The Hannon family owned the property for 34 years before selling to Jeremiah J. Ryan on Jan. 16, 1892. They moved to Florence St. Bridget to #8 and Patrick jr. to #12.
Jeremiah Ryan is living in Cambridge, NY when he sells the property to the St. Mary's Church Society of Lawrence, MA on Apr. 26, 1895. St. Augustine's Church is a Parish Church of St. Mary's. The church owned the property for 53 years.
The Church sold the property to Edward O'Hagan & Peter O'Hagan on Feb. 5, 1948. Peter F. & wife Josephine O'Hagan were owners on July 20, 1956. Peter O'Hagan died on Feb. 26, 1999 and the estate went to his wife Josephine O'Hagan through Probate. The property was placed into the Nagaho Realty Trust - Josephine O'Hagan and Mary Jane Bausemer, Trustee on July 21, 2000.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Historical Sketches of Andover - Sarah L. Bailey -"Academies" p. 537
An Abstract Decennial Valuation of Town of Andover - 1850
See deed b. 290 leaf 144 - Joshua Ward's map of lots 1835
See Map #1852 - Dec. 1947 - Edward O'Hagan
Eliphalet Pearson estate, Trustees Ephriam Abbot, Stephen Gardner - Sept. 12, 1826
Joshua Ward of Salem, MA - Dec. 25, 1830 - $1267. - five parcels
Joshua Ward - Mar. 3, 1835 - b. 290 leaf 144 - plan
Jeremiah Goldsmith Jr. & Stephen Lovejoy - b. 290 leaf 143 - lots 10 & 11
John Bailey - Nov. 15, 1844 - b. 361 p. 100 - $475 -deed 1
John Bailey - Apr. 28, 1845 - b. 361 leaf 99 - $200 - deed 2 lots 10 & 11
Patrick Hannon - Jan. 2, 1851 - b. 439 leaf 37 - $2000. mtg.
Patrick Hannon - Feb. 1, 1858 - b. 565 leaf 249 - Salem, MA - $1200
Patrick Hannon Sr. Estate - Heirs - Bridget Hannon, Catherine O'Connell, Ann Nolan, Margaret Higgins, John E. Hannon, Michael Hannon, Sarah Hannon, Patrick Hannon - June 13, 1889 - b. 105 p. 262 - Lawrence, MA
Jeremiah J. Ryan - Jan. 16, 1892 - b. 141 p. 3
St. Mary's Church Society - Apr. 26, 1895 - b. 141 p. 4
Edward O'Hagan & Peter O'Hagan - Feb. 5, 1948 - b. 707 p. 251
Peter F. & Josephine O'Hagan - July 20, 1956 - b. 837 p. 433
Peter F. O'Hagan estate, Josephine O'Hagan - Feb. 26, 1999 - Probate
Nagaho Realty Trust - Josephine O'Hagan, Mary Jane Bausemer, Tr. July 21, 2000 - b. 5809 p. 323
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||John Bailey - Partick Hannon House|
|Present Use||residence - 2 family|
|Construction Date||1845 - 1850|
|Roof||asphalt - gabel|
|Major Alterations||Replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||55-78|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 1/5/2015, 4/24/2017|