LHD - Greek Revival cottage, front porch columns, dentil work banding on fascia board
5 ft. headroom in basement; steam and auto burners heating
Themes: architectural & community development
Robert E. & Frances Ewing
Most of Ballardvale Village was built between 1843-1848 and a large part of it in 1847 at the time the machine shop was built. During the first fifteen years of Ballardvale, when John Marland was manager of Ballardvale Mills, things continued lively and flourishing- then all the streets were laid out and about every building was erected that is here now. (Alfred Poore).
According to Charlotte Helen Abbott genealogy, Mr. Door, first clerk of Ballard Vale Mills and brother-in-law to Mr. Marland, built this house as early as 1836; it was then occupied by John Farnham in 1857. Ballard Vale Mills owned the house until Sept. 29, 1906, when this property was sold it to Margaret A Ewing, wife of George Ewing.
George Ewing was born in April 1844 in Croton Landing, NY, son of Irish immigrants John & Catherine Ewing. George was living with his family in NY in the 1870 Census. George came to Andover shortly after. He was married by the Justice of the Peace Osgood, on Jan. 15, 1873 to Margaret Openshaw b. b. Jan. 1848 in Pembrooke, Maine, dau. of English parents, Jacob & Alice Opwnshaw. George age 29 lists his occupation as Brick Maker. In 1880 they reside on Andover Street near the Fessendon residence. George is now a Mill Fireman for the Ballard Vale Mills. He would later become a Watchman. George & Margaret had one son Robert E. b. 1876 in NY. George died on April 15, 1925 and is interred at Spring Grove Cemetery,
Margaret placed the deed in her name and her son Robert's name on Aug. 23, 1927. Robert and his wife Frances were living in Westville, NJ in 1927. Margaret died in April 1931. In February 1931 Robert transferred the deed into both his and wife Frances names. Ewing family owned the home for 43 years. Robert died in June 1960 at age 84y. Frances died in Aug. 1976 at 90.
Franklin K. & Bernice M. Haggerty purchased the home on August 11, 1949. The Haggerty family would own for 53 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Goldsmith, Bessie: Townswoman's Andover: 1964, p. 96.
J. Putnam Bradlee Estate, 1989 map of holdings lot #24
J. Putnam Bradlee - 1866 - 1887
J. Putnam Bradlee estate, William H. Hodgkins, Extr. - 1887 - 1905
Ballard Vale Mills Company - Feb. 6, 1905 - b. 218 p. 242 - ( p. 242 parcel #9)
Margaret A. Ewing - Sept. 29, 1906, rec. Oct. 18th. - b. 238 p. 252? (not correct reference #s)
Margaret A. Ewing and son Robert E. Ewing - Aug. 23, 1927 - b. 534 p. 333
Robert E. Ewing - 1931
Clover J. Stone - Feb. 14, 1931 - b. 557 p. 109 - deed transfer
Robert E. & Frances M. Ewing - Feb. 14, 1931 - b. 557 p. 109
Franklin K. & Bernice M. Haggerty - Aug. 11, 1949 - b. 726 p. 482
Franklin K. Haggerty estate, Bernice M. Haggerty - June 20, 1986
Sharon E. Ristuccia - Mar. 19, 2002 - b. 6728 p. 272
Michael J. Ristuccia, wife Susan - Oct. 30, 2003 - b. 8369 p. 159
Matthew W. & Dawn Mullen - May 11, 2007 - b. 10749 p. 69
Kathleen & Reni Machet - May 3, 2012 - b. 12926 p. 231
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Source||assessor's rec./style -njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||small barn|
|Major Alterations||2002 - 2003 Ristuccia updated the interrior|
|Acreage||0.598 acre, 26,030; approx. frontage 82'|
|Map and parcel||117-14|
|Organization||Andover Historical Commission|