Themes: architectural, communication and community development.
Original owner: Andover & Wilmington Rail Road - railroad depot, then post office; then residence.
This was the first railroad station stop of Andover & Wilmington Railroad. The Andover - Wilmington Railroad was the brainchild of Hobart Clark of Andover and chartered by the State Legislature on March 15,1833. The total cost including equipment was estimated at $110,000. The Andover line connected to the new Boston - Lowell line at North Wilmington. The line took two years to construct and the first train came through to Andover depot on June 6, 1835. Menzies Christopher Andrews, a carpenter and train car builder inspected the entire 7 mile line, on foot, to Wilmington, then jumped on board the train becoming the first passenger on the line. In 1837 the line was extended to Bradford and Haverhill.
The tracks were laid through Lowell Junction along the east side of the Shawsheen River and across Preston's Plain, near Charlotte Drive and behind the present South Elementary School. They then crossed Andover St at this site, and down through the Andover Recreation Park. The current road was the old rail bed. The tracks then crossed Abbot St, and through the Spring Grove Cemetery (Not a cemetery until 1869) down SE side of Abbot St and crossed over the intersection of Phillips St. From there behind the homes on Central St to School St. turning behind the old South Parsonage through the land now occupied by St. Augustine's School, crossing Central St in front of the Rose Cottage and ending at the Andover Depot on Essex St. The depot was where the back entrance to Memorial Hall Library is today. The road to the parking lot and Pearson St. is again the former railroad bed.
The depot agent was to make sure residents traveling along Andover St. would stop at the crossing when the train came. There were no gates, so flags were used to stop traffic. It has been stated that "the station agents in the early days worked for nothing and were privileged to rent parts of the depot or could do shoe making or follow other trades."
With the establishment of Lawrence in 1845 it was necessary to provide train service to the city and the Boston & Main Railroad purchased the Andover Wilmington line and properties. The railroad tracks were relocated to the current location on the west side of the river in Ballardvale. The Andover - Wilmington ceased operations in 1848.
John Clemons was station agent of the Ballardvale depot of the Andover - Wilmington and lived here in Ballardvale Depot house.
The B&M Railroad later sold off the former buildings of the Andover - Wilmington RR. The Whipple File & Steel Manufacturing Co. purchased this home through George J. Tenney & Samuel Little on Feb. 28, 1865. Most likely used for employee housing. When the file company went bankrupt in 1870 the Whipple File & Steel Manufacturing Co. assignee's: Edward Page, John W. Beals, Thomas Horner of Boston & Thornton K. Lothrop of Milton sold this property to John Shannon on Apr. 27, 1870. The home was later quit claimed by his heirs to Jane Shannon in 1867.
Henry M. Haywood of Andover purchased the property on Mar. 19, 1883 and held it for 20 years then selling to Patrick Larkin, wife Mary on Feb. 7, 1903.
The Larkins were from New Dorchester, MA. When Patrick Larkin, owned this property included 72 acres, a house, barn and stable. Larkin also owned for 20 years selling to Walter Strout & Burt Worthing of Lawrence, MA on Oct. 2, 1923.
Frederick H. Hall is the next owner on July 2, 1925. There are no deeds listed under Hall's name as a grantor or to when the property was transferred to Mary G. Campbell and Agnes J. Urquhart. Only a mention in their deed that Hall had purchased from Strout in 1923.
Edward T & Myra S. Ward then purchased the home on May 31, 1936. Ward owned for eleven years then sold to James L and Winniefred Butler on Aug.14,1947. The Butler family were long term owners of 47 years. The property was sold by the family to David G. & Holly V. Dargie in 1994.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Lawrence Eagle Tribune: Jan. 31, 1950 -- Dec.12, 1962
Inclusion: newspaper article
George J. Tenney & Samuel Little - Feb. 28, 1865 - b. 683 leaf 94 Salem deeds
Whipple File & Steel Manufacturing Co.
Edward Page, John W. Beals, Thomas Horner & Thornton K. Lothrop, WF&SManf. Co. assigners
John Shannon - Apr. 27, 1870 - b. 4 p. 152
John Shannon estate, Cartwright et al trustee
Jane Shannon - by quit claim of heirs 1867 - b. 719 leaf 286
Henry M. Haywood - Mar. 19, 1883 - b. 176 p. 85
Patrick Larkin, wife Mary - Feb. 7, 1903 - b. 201 p. 225
Walter Strout & Burt Worthing - Oct. 2, 1923 - b. 487 p. 399
Frederick H. Hall - July 2, 1925 - b. 513 p. 407
Mary G. Campbell and Agnes J. Urquhart - heirs?
Edward T & Myra S. Ward - May 31, 1936 - b. 600 p. 202
Edward T Ward estate, Myra S. Ward heir
James L. & Winniefred W. Butler - Aug. 14, 1947 - b. 701 p. 490
James L. Butler estate, Winniefred W. Butler heir
Winniefred W. Butler & Patricia A. Butler-Myers - July 18, 1991 - b. 3290 p. 311
Winniefred W. Butler - Sept. 6, 1991 - b. 3316 p. 49
David G. & Holly V. Dargie - July 29, 1994 - b. 4095 p. 168
Holly V. Dargie - Feb. 1, 1999 - b. 5326 p. 317
Us Bank National Assoc. - Apr. 21, 1999 - b. 5406 p. 199 mtg
Forest Hill Realty, Francis R. King, David M. Whelan, Tr - Oct. 9, 2009 - b. 11817 p. 67
Holly V. Dargie - Sept. 2, 2011 - b. 13894 p. 349
Dargie Family Trust, Hally V. Dargie, Trustee - July 15, 2014 - b. 13912 p. 325
|Historic District||Ballardvale Local Historic District|
|Historic Name||Andover and Wilmington Railroad Depot|
|Original Use||1st railroad station|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Greek Revival|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Acreage||0.184 acre, 8,000 sq. ft.; approx. frontage 81'|
|Map and parcel||139-11|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, Oct. 24, 2015|