Colonial Revival - Dutch Coloniial
Shawsheen Village was named after the Native American name for the river Shawshin, which means Great Spring. Prior to Shawsheen Village this area was known as Frye Village. All the streets in the Village were named for Castles & Cathedrals in Great Britain. Enmore Street takes its name from Enmore Castle, an historic building in the village of Enmore, Somerset, England.
This home was built as part of the Shawsheen Village development from 1918-1924 by William M. Wood, President of the American Woolen Company. Wood hired about eight different architects to design the homes and structures for the village. Homes were leased through the Homestead Association who had offices in the Post Office building on the corner of North Main & Poor Streets.
Each home incorporates a different look, style and design modifications, most noticeable with the front door entrances. Decorative details on the corner boards and a variety of ornamental trellises, window boxes all added the “icing on the cake, of the original designs. Most of the homes now sport a variety of different colors, no longer all white with green shutters as dictated in the original deeds. Many of the original screen porches have been enclosed for an additional room.
After the death of William M. Wood on Feb. 2, 1926 most of the residential and commercial buildings were then sold. Some were held by the Wood family in the "Arden Trust" and others with the American Woolen Company, which had been deeded the property in December 1920. The A.W.Co. Board of Directors authorized its President, Lionel J. Noah, to deliver all deeds, as deemed necessary to the Textile Realty Co. for sale on Dec. 29, 1931.
The Textile Realty then transferred ownership to the Andover Shawsheen Realty Company on June 30, 1932, holding the mortgage on the properties. T. Edwin Andrew, treasurer, was authorized to sell or lease the properties. With the Great Depression sales were sluggish and many homes were rented until the economy rebounded.
The first occupants of record to lease the home in 1922 were Leon R. & Katherine M. Parsons. Leon was an electrician for the American Woolen Co. They were renting in 1926. AT - Sept. 22, 1922 p. 8 The Shawsheen Villager - Mr. and Mrs. L. Parsons have moved to 27 Enmore street from Lawrence.
This house was sold to Albert V. & Geine D. Northrop on June 24, 1937. Albert was a dyer and three months later sold to Carrol C. & Winifred S. Gerrish on Sept. 30, 1937. Carrol b. 1904 was a refrigeration engineer in Lowell and they were living at 24 Arundel Street. The deed was placed in Winifred's name in March 1940. Winifred b. 1906 acquired three other empty parcels to the rear of the property and later sold them off to neighbors on Enmore St. The Garrish family owned the property for 55 years.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Maps, 1852, 1872, 1888, 1906, 1926
Andover Street Directories
Mills, Mergers and Mansions, by Edward Roddy 1982
See Map plan #704 - American Woolen Company - Sept. 1927
#877 - June 1932 - Textile Realty Company lot #22
#975 - Oct. 29, 1921 - Dufton to AWCo.
#14694 - lot 52-3
George C. H. Dufton, wife Susanna - 1921 - 18 acres-
American Woolen Company, Wm. M. Wood Pres. – October 29, 1921 – b. 470 p. 341 – 18 acres
Textile Realty Co., Lionel J. Noah, Pres. A.W.Co. - Dec. 30, 1931 - b. 563 p. 351
Andover Shawsheen Realty Co. - June. 30, 1932 - b. 565 p. 87 - 8th parcel
Albert V. & Geine D. Northrop - June 24, 1937 - b.608 p. 471
Carrol C. & Winifred S. Gerrish - Sept. 30, 1937 - b. 610 p. 287
Felica Sholik - Mar. 4, 1940 - b. 629 p. 95 - deed transfer
Winifred S. Gerrish - Mar. 4, 1940 - b. 629 p. 95 - four parcels
Barbara (Yacoubian) Hazeltine - Dec. 17, 1992 - b. 3623 p. 269
John R. & Nicole A. Hayes - Feb. 26, 2004 - b. 8590 p. 32
John R. & Nicole A. Hayes - b. 13991 p. 274 - Homestead
parcel #2 - AWCo to Gerrish - b. 670 p..62
parcel #3 - AWCo - Gerrish - b. 758 p. 452
parcel #4 - F.M. & T.E. Andrew Realty to Gerrish - b. 1193 p. 149
|Place||Shawsheen Village - Frye Village|
|Historic District||Shawsheen Village NRH District|
|Historic Name||Carrol & Winifred Gerrish House|
|Construction Date||1921 - 1922|
|Source||ERDS, ENRDL, assessers' rec./style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Colonial Revival|
|Architect/Builder||Chester A. Patten|
|Roof||asphalt - gambrel|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||garage|
|Major Alterations||vinyl siding, replacement windows, asphalt shingle roof replaces original slate|
|Map and parcel||19-52|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975 - 1977, 8/7/2015|