Queen Anne Style home, asymmetrical facade, decorative fish scale and saw tooth shingle work on banding and gables. Repeated medallions across the lower portion of the front gable.
Florence Street was constructed in 1885. The south end portion (Park St.) of two acres and 28,045 sq. ft. was owned by Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. Foster. Hannah sold the parcel to William Wood, a carpenter for $1900 on March 13, 1883. Wood built his home at 66 Park St. and house lots extended on both sides up to #21 and #24. The north end portion (Elm St.) on the east side was the former Moses Abbot Jr. homestead at #49 Elm St. Owned by his son George T. Abbott, also a House-wright, who was partners with William S. Jenkins in the firm Abbott & Jenkins. The Abbot parcel extended to #20 Florence. St. The west side of Florence St. from Elm St. to #17 was owned by the Henry Burtt estate formerly at #35-#37 Elm St.
Oct. 2, 1885 Andover Advertiser - pg. 2 col. 9, “The new way between Park and Elm has been completed by Nathan F. Abbott, the contractor, and accepted by the Selectman. Several names have been suggested……”
House lots were then created and sold to a variety of residents. William Wood sold off four lots to Charles O. Stevens, wife Abbie on Mar. 22, 1886. Stevens took a loan from the Andover Savings Bank on Mar. 19, 1887 but was declared insolvent a few months later on May 8, 1887. The bank then sold the mortgage to Andover Dentist Charles H. Gilbert on July 11, 1887 for $400. The bank then sold the mortgage to Andover dentist Charles H. Gilbert on July 11, 1887 for $400. Gilbert then sold off the corner lot at Park & Florence Streets to John Cornell on Aug. 13, 1887.
The bank then released a partial deed to Charles H. Gilbert on Oct. 11, 1887 lot #27 which he then sold to Erastus Gile. Charles Gilbert then sold the adjoining parcel to Abby R. Handy & Elizabeth R. Handy on July 9, 1888. The next year Abby & Elizabeth Handy sold the Florence St lot for $2500 to Erastus Gile on Aug. 17,1889. Gile now owned the three adjoining parcels. #27 and #25 & #21-#23.
Erastus Gile was born on Jan. 29, 1818 in Lee, NH, son of George & Clarissa (Durgin) Gile. Erastus was a stone and brick mason. Erastus married in Andover on Aug. 27, 1842 to Amanda Georgette Manning of Tewksbury, b. 1814, dau. of Benjamin & Sarah (Simmonds) Manning. They had six children: Amanda Georgette b. Sept. 18,1843, Mary E. b. Mar. 1845, Sarah M. b. Oct. 1846, Clara b. 1849 - 1851, Edward E. b. 1851 and Sylvia Annie b. Dec. 1854. Gile rented half the house at 53 Red Spring Rd. prior to building his new double house at 161-163 North Main St. in 1850. The Giles lived at #161. Erastus Gile was hired by the Town of Andover as one of the masons for the Old Town Hall on Main St. Gile did several brick buildings in town.
Erastus Gile died on April 23, 1893 at age 75 years. His estate went to his wife Amanda and children named as the Executors of his estate. Widow Amanda died at age 81 on March 26, 1895. The four daughters inherit the property. Daughter Georgette Amanda was a seamstress, Mary & Sarah became teachers, and son Edward followed his father's occupation as a mason. The Giles also continued ownership of the North Main St. property until Apr. 29, 1930.
The 1900 through 1920 Census have the daughters living at 11 Florence St. which we believe to be #21. The sisters sell this property to F. Howard Wilkes on Sept. 14, 1920.
Wilkes owns for three years then sells to Ann J. Zalla on Nov. 5, 1923. Anna owned the property for 53 years. She died on Feb. 28, 1976.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Hannah W. Foster, wife of Joseph W. - 1883 - 2 acres + land
William Wood - Mar. 13, 1883 - b. 71 p. 252 - 2 acres + land
Charles O. Stevens, wife Abbie - Mar. 22, 1886 - b. 85 p. 186 - 4 lots
Charles O Stevens, mtg. Andover Savings Bank - Mar. 19, 1887 - b. 90 p. 1
Charles O Stevens insolvency - May 8, 1887
Charles H. Gilbert - July 11, 1887 - b. 91 p. 291 - assignee - $400.
Charles H. Gilbert - Oct. 7, 1887 - b. 93 p. 121 - $350 - lot #27
Erastus Gile - Oct. 12, 1887 - b. 93 p. 123 - $500.
Erastus Gile estate, Sarah M. Gile heir
Sarah M. Gile estate, heirs; Georgette A., Mary E., S. Annie Gile - Oct. 12, 1887
F. Howard Wilkes - Sept. 14, 1920 - b. 431 p. 323
Susan J. Sears - Nov. 17, 1920 - b. 434 p. 400
Susan J. Sears estate, F. Howard & Madge Wilkes, Adm. - Oct. 7, 1923 - Probate
Ann J. Zalla - Nov. 5, 1923 - b. 490 p. 192
Anna J. Zalla estate, Eugene A> Zalla Sr. Adm. - Feb. 28, 1976 - Probate
Peter J. & Gayle (LaFleur) Caruso - Jan. 4, 1977 - b. 1300 p. 117
Stephen H. & Sandra K. Levine - July 27, 1979 - b. 1380 p. 130
Christopher Fisher & Julie C. (Davidson) Fisher - Sept. 4, 2002 - b. 7060 p. 10
Dave S. & Tanya A. Pope - Jan. 6, 2005 - b. 9314 p. 137
Scott Huffer & Catherine Johnson - May 9, 2009 - b. 11623 p. 43
Scott Huffer Living Trust - July 17, 2014 - b. 13915 p. 103
|Place||Andover Center District|
|Historic District||Andover Historic Building Survey|
|Historic Name||Erastus Gile - Ann Zalla House|
|Construction Date||1887 - 1888|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Queen Anne|
|Roof||asphalt - gable|
|Major Alterations||replacement windows|
|Map and parcel||39-11|
|Recorded by||James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||April 8, 2017|