Early Second Empire style, also known as French Empire
Themes - Architectural, Community Development and Education.
In the 1850 Andover Valuation Schdule this lot was owned by the Heirs of M. Capewell of Boston, a 1 1/2 acre lot valued at $300. William P. Capewell of Boston, Susan G. Odiorne of Newbury and James L. Odiorne (or Odiori) of West Newbury sold the lot to
Warren F. Draper on Sept. 20, 1851 for $800. Warren F. Draper and his wife Irene P. Draper would build on the lot 17 years later in 1868
Warren Fales Draper (b. 1818 - d.1905) was one of the chief benefactors of Abbot Academy. In 1849, Draper joined Allen, Merrill and Wardwell, local printers, and in 1854, became its sole proprietor. Also printed and partly edited local newspaper the Andover Advertiser. Draper was a Deacon and Treasurer of the Andover Theological Seminary Church; He withdrew from Andover Theological Seminary because of failing eyesight. Draper was Treasurer of Abbot Academy (financial records of the Academy kept here in his house). He gave money to Abbot Academy for the construction of Draper Hall.
Sept. 7, 1866 Andover Advertiser - William F. Draper has hired the shop on Main Street, recently occupied by Mr. John H. Dean, & is fitting it up for a book store……#41 Main Street
Oct. 12, 1866 – Removal - The subscriber has removed to the store recently occupied by John H. Dean, nearly opposite the Post Office, on Main St. where he will keep all school books used in the several academies and schools in town., together with a general assortment of standard and miscellaneous books and a large variety of stationary, etc. WM. F. Draper.
Draper’s book store was the Andover Bookstore founded in 1809 and its branch publishing house the Andover Press established in 1813 by Flagg & Gould. Deacon Mark Newman was the original owner and his son Mark H. Newman became a partner of the Press Co. in 1833 under the name of Gould & Newman until 1841. Then Allen & Wardwell 1841-1847, W. H. Wardwell 1847-48, Flagg & Wardwell 1848-1849, and then Warren F. Draper purchased both businesses in 1854. In June 1866 the Andover Book Store near the Theological Seminary and the Job Printing office were offered for sale. On September 1, 1866 W. F. Draper & Co. dissolved the partnership with W. H. Halliday and moved his bookstore down to the center of town from the brick building on the Hill. Draper first rented the store space formerly occupied by John Dean’s Gents store in Swift’s building at 41-44 Main St. before purchasing the residence next door to the north. (see 33-37 Main St.)
On April 15, 1868 Draper purchased the house (33 Main St.) from Henry W. Abbott.
Apr. 24, 1868 AA – “Abbott has sold his real estate on Main Street, second south of the bank building, to Warren F. Draper. It is understood the Mr. Draper will fit up the house for a book store and printing establishment”. On May 8, 1868 the paper reports, “W.F. Draper will erect a dwelling house this season upon his beautiful lot opposite the Female Academy”.
When the Draper house was completed in 1869 - local paper Andover Advertiser claimed : "It is worth miles of travel to see the exterior, to say nothing of its internal beauty.", - copper bathtub; house boasted first bathroom in Andover (a dark closet on 1st floor with kerosene lamp). Warren Draper retired in Aug. 1887 after 28 years in business. The printing business was sold to a corporation of Andover businessmen in 1887.
Warren Draper placed the home deed in his wife's name in 1868. Warren & Irene then deed the property to the Trustees of Abbot Academy on Aug. 16, 1895. The Drapers also deed the business property on Main St. to the Academy. The couple however reserve a life tenancy in the properties. Mrs. Irene Draper, was known as "Abbot's Fairy Godmother" and watched the campus activities from her window across the street. After her death in 1916, at age of 93, the house was opened as an Abbot dormitory.
With the merger with Phillips Academy in June 1973 all the Abbot Academy properties were transferred to the Trustees of Phillips Academy. PA retained the Draper Home for two years then sold to Arthur C. & Lola F. Blomgren on June 26, 1975. The Blomgren family owned for three years then selling to John I. & Olivia L. Scileppi on Oct. 1, 1978. The Scileppi family did extensive restoration to the home both inside and out.
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Carpenter, Jane B. : Abbot and Miss Bailey Abbot in the Early Days, Boston: Todd, 1959
Paradise, Scott H. ; A History of Printing in Andover Mass. 1798-1931, Andover Press, 1931
Andover Advertiser, Fuess, Claude: Andover Symbol of New England, 1959, pgs. 319 - 320
Carpenter L. Abbot & Miss Bailey research
William P. Capewell, Susan G. Odiorne & James L. Odiorne (Odiori) - 1851 - land
Warren F. Draper - Sept. 20, 1851 - b. 450 leaf 126 - lot $800.
Hiram French - Nov. 1, 1866 - b. 740 leaf 252 deed transfer
Irene P. Draper - Feb. 27, 1868 - b. 740 leaf 253
Trustees of Abbot Academy - Aug. 16, 1895 - b. 144 p. 131
Trustees of Phillips Academy - June 30, 1973 - b. 1222 p. 85 (p.90 para. 4)
Arthur C. & Lola F. Blomgren - June 26, 1975 - b. 1262 p. 376
John I. & Olivia L. Scileppi - Oct. 1, 1978 - b. 1353 p. 424
Jack J. & Linda R. Holder, Jr. - June 16, 1988 - b. 2749 p. 134
Thonex 1992 Trust, William J. Berens, Tr. - Sept. 11, 1992 - b. 3542 p. 228
|Historic District||Academy Hill NRH District|
|Historic Name||Warren F. & Irene Draper House|
|Source||ECRDS, ENRDL, style-njs|
|Architectural Style||Second Empire|
|Wall/Trim||flush boarding, clapboards, wood|
|Roof||slate - mansard|
|Outbuildings / Secondary Structures||modern garage|
|Major Alterations||Cupola removed 1926, slate shingles replaced on mansard, rear addition 1980's|
|Acreage||1.13 acres, 239' frontage|
|Map and parcel||40-7|
|Recorded by||Stack/Mofford, James S. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1975-77, 12/23/15|