Tenement housing for M. T. Stevens, Co.
The land along Stevens Street was once large pasture and meadow and extended to Abraham Marland’s homestead estate at 29-33 Shawsheen Rd. Marland established a cotton mill in 1807 on the Shawsheen River at Abbott Village which continued until 1811 when he began production of woolen goods. In 1821 “Marland leased from Peter C. Brooks of Boston a mill privilege on the Shawsheen, together with new buildings erected on the site of what had been a powder mill. This is now known as Marland Village.
The buildings, which were leased for a term of twenty years, comprised a brick mill, the oldest of the present buildings, and a row of brick tenement houses.”
In 1828 Marland bought the entire property, his purchased including the mill privilege, old paper and grist mills, and thirty acres of Land. In 1834 the business was organized under the name Marland Manufacturing Company. Abraham Marland was the president until his death on Feb. 20, 1849.
Nathan Frye succeeded Marland as the company president from 1849-1879.
The company defaulted on an 1873 loan from the Andover Savings Bank and the mill was sold at auction to Moses T. Stevens on North Andover in 1879. Stevens began improvements at the mill in 1884 relocating the road, building a causeway across the mill pond, a new bridge, and operative housing on North Main Street and Stevens Street.
August 8, 1884 AA pg2 col 7 Article on Marland Village, new tenements and new road and bridge.
In 1896 the Marland Mill operation employed 200 operatives and manufactured 875,000 lbs. of wool yearly. In 1902 the company was now M. T. Stevens & Sons, Co. and later became known as J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. When the purchased the Marland Manufacturing Company, the property included the tenement housing on Marland Street, later renamed Stevens Street in 1904. In 1953 the Stevens Co. divested itself of all its housing stock in Marland Village which was then subdivided into separate parcels and sold to public residents.
Map #2620 Nov. 24, 1952 for the Andover Board of Appeals lists 13 lots on Stevens St. subdivided for sale.
Agnes H. Arthur purchased the house on Mar. 4, 1953. Agnes was a beautician, the wife of Donald Arthur who worked at the Marland Mill in 1943 and were renting the house when they bought. Aurthur held the property for nine years selling to Alice H. Danner in February 1962. Danner then sold six months later to Kenneth J. & Mary R. Dolan on Sept. 21, 1962. Both Kenneth & Mary are listed as Rubber Workers in 1965 at the Tyer Rubber Co. later Converse Rubber Co. Kenneth died on Feb. 21, 1979 and Mary R. Dolan then jointly owned the property with Patricia A. McCadden on June 27, 1980.
James F. & Patricia A. McCadden became the owners on Mar. 9, 1983. they were from Lexington, MA. They owned for 18 years selling in 2001 to Kevin O'Brien on Dec. 4, 2001 then transferring the deed to John E. Walsh & Kristen Adams Dec. 4, 2001. John E. & Kristen (Adams) Walsh are the current owners in 2014.
Directories 1920 Mr. Lefebvre, male spinner
Dir. 1890 not listed
Essex County Registry Deeds, Salem, MA
Essex Northern Registry Deeds, Lawrence, MA
Andover Advertiser AA
Historical Sketches of Andover, S. Bailey 1880
Business History of Andover, 1896 Anniversary Souvenir.
Andover Historical Society files.
Andover Valuation and directories
Peter C. Brooks
Abraham Marland – 1828 - Feb. 20, 1849
Nathan Frye – Feb. 1849 - July 19, 1879
Moses T. Stevens Co. July 19, 1879 – b. 56 p. 482
M. T. Stevens & Sons Co. – Sept. 1, 1902 – b. 197 p. 180
J. P. Stevens & Co. Inc. – after 1946
Agnes H. Arthur - Mar. 4, 1953 - b. 774 p. 475
Alice H. Danner - Frb. 16, 1962 - b. 953 p. 200
Kenneth J. & Mary R. Dolan - Sept. 21, 1962 - b. 968 p. 115
Mary R. Dolan, by Probate, Kenneth died Feb. 21, 1979
Mary R. Dolan & Patricia A. McCadden - June 27, 1980 - b. 1442 p. 278
James F. & Patricia A. McCadden - Mar. 9, 1983 - b. 1653 p. 64
Kevin O'Brien - Dec. 4, 2001 - b. 6546 p. 107
John E. Walsh & Kristen Adams - Dec. 4, 2001 - b. 6546 p. 108
John E. & Kristen (Adams) Walsh - June 20, 2005 - b. 9579 p. 254
|Historic District||Andover Village Industrial NRH District|
|Major Alterations||1 1/2 stories added 1920? Remodeled in 1990s. roof dormers, window replacements|
|Map and parcel||54-119|
|Recorded by||Barbara Thibault, J. Batchelder|
|Organization||Andover Historical Society - Andover Preservation Commission|
|Date entered||1/28/87, July 2014|